Alena Kostornaia | Page 215 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
She probably came prepared, aspiring medicine student after all ...

Yes... she is such a sweetheart!! I love her sense of humor and I bet she convinced the (notable) others to go along with the ruse... they are a wonderful team..

Batsuchan

Medalist
Here's an interview with Olga Ryabenko, who makes the costumes for Team Tutberidze:
https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...ja_shjet_kostumy_luchshim_figuristkam_planety

This is what she had to say about Aliona (based on GoogleTranslate):
- They say that green and brown are dangerous colors for ice. Would you agree?

“I think they just love them less.” A much more dangerous color is white. It’s difficult with him, but this year there are just a lot of white dresses. This is called “Hello, Alena Kostornaya” (laughs).

Moreover, we did not want to make her first “Angel” that year directly white. I just brought the dress to the skating rink before painting, she tried on it, but it turned out to be very good for her - they decided to just have a little underhand. But this is extremely rare. Usually I like to color more white, because it is eaten by light, it does not always fit well.

Successful / unsuccessful colors - a controversial classification. Dark girls go one thing, fair-skinned - another. It happens that they put cloth in the locker room - everything is fine. They sewed it, in the finished dress, even without stones, we went out onto the ice and we see that for some reason the beautiful color turned gray. At the same time, he looked good on another child. With tears, I once swept the finished dress in tiffany color, so far it still lies with me.

- How was the decision made to take such an unusual bright purple for Alena Kostornaya's dress for the Twilight program?

“I usually come to the rink with a big bag that contains everything that I could bring.” We apply it all to the athlete, wrap it and release it on the ice - we evaluate what is better.

Again, this is Alena. Bright juicy pure colors go to her, it is impossible to put on something pale. The point is the color of the skin, eyes, hair - all taken together.

She really wanted a black dress for an exponential tango, but in the end they chose red. Black is not quite her story.

I do agree that Aliona looks good in bold colors (I think that's what she means?). But I was surprised that Olga thought that Aliona doesn't look good in black, because I think she looks good in the black dresses that she wears to the banquets, or when she wears black practice clothes. :confused2: But perhaps bright colors are better. (Personally I think Aliona would look good in anything! :biggrin: )

SkateSkates

Medalist
Here's an interview with Olga Ryabenko, who makes the costumes for Team Tutberidze:
https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...ja_shjet_kostumy_luchshim_figuristkam_planety

This is what she had to say about Aliona (based on GoogleTranslate):

I do agree that Aliona looks good in bold colors (I think that's what she means?). But I was surprised that Olga thought that Aliona doesn't look good in black, because I think she looks good in the black dresses that she wears to the banquets, or when she wears black practice clothes. :confused2: But perhaps bright colors are better. (Personally I think Aliona would look good in anything! :biggrin: )

I thought that was a bit strange too since her both her Gala outfits have been mainly black - for the Twilight program and Never Tear Us Apart. Plus, one of my favorite performances of Adios Nonino was in the simple black training skirt and tank at JGPF last year...

I do agree with her light hair and coloring that a pale yellow or pink would not suit Aliona and the jewel tones likely emphasize her coloring better.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I thought that was a bit strange too since her both her Gala outfits have been mainly black - for the Twilight program and Never Tear Us Apart. Plus, one of my favorite performances of Adios Nonino was in the simple black training skirt and tank at JGPF last year...

I do agree with her light hair and coloring that a pale yellow or pink would not suit Aliona and the jewel tones likely emphasize her coloring better.

100% agree with the bolded statement--definitely one of my favorite performances ever, by any skater! :love:

I was about to agree with you about the pale colors...but then I remembered that Aliona wore same pale yukatas (like summer kimonos) in Japan at Dreams on Ice last year, and I thought it was fine:
https://vk.com/photo-156669444_456247936
Not quite pink or yellow though...

Also, in the middle of this edit, there's a version of Aliona's Juliet dress in periwinkle, which I thought looked nice:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B93mQ_tBZas/

But yes, perhaps bold colors are best. :yes:

Batsuchan

Medalist
(Yes, I am bored and have a lot of time on my hands! :biggrin: )

I randomly came across this German article, which named Aliona as one of the 5 top athletes for winter sports over the past season: :agree:
https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...nternationalen-top-fuenf-des-winters-100.html

GoogleTranslate:
Our number 5: Alena Kostornaia (Russia) - figure skating
At the age of 16 to the European Figure Skating Championship. Alena Kostornaia belongs to the new Russian figure skating generation, who are currently revolutionizing their sport with new and best acrobatic performances. This is not without controversy. Critics of this development believe that with new quadruple jumps, the aesthetics in figure skating would be lost. At the European Championships in January, Kostornaia, unlike her Russian teammates Anna Tscherbakowa and Alexandra Trusowa, who was one year younger, did without a quadruple festival - and won with triple jumps and an aesthetically pleasing performance. It is worth a season top five ranking for us. As the world leader, Kostornaia would also have been one of the favorites in the World Cup in Montreal. But because of the corona pandemic, the title fights have been postponed - probably to autumn.

SkateSkates

Medalist

I randomly came across this German article, which named Aliona as one of the 5 top athletes for winter sports over the past season: :agree:
https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...nternationalen-top-fuenf-des-winters-100.html

GoogleTranslate:

I’m glad she seems to be getting some positive recognition from the German media. I don’t remember exactly when, but there was an article this season with some not so nice things to say about Aliona and her teammates...

Fried

Final Flight
Quote: "At the European Championships in January, Kostornaia, unlike her Russian teammates Anna Tscherbakowa and Alexandra Trusowa, who was one year younger, decided not to hold a fourfold Festival."
:palmf:

Fluture

Record Breaker

GoogleTranslate:

As I too have more time on my hands at the moment, I decided to translate what the German commentator Daniel Weiss said about Aliona during the European Championship. I believe it is the very same channel you got the article from, Batsuchan. There aren’t too many interesting things in it but I liked that he praised her a lot. First of all, I have to mention, however, that this commentator overall is very knowledgeable and fair but also very strict. He is a former figure skater and long-time commentator. It is sometimes hard to impress him and yes, he is critical of quads in ladies skating, the way Russian ladies stay at the top only for a few years etc. and makes that very clear. I think everyone can have their own opinion and even though I absolutely love the 3A, I agree with many of his concerns. (not with all) At the end of the day, however, it is important to stay respectful and he does. In the SP he marvels at the skill of the 3A and admires the artistry of Anna and Aliona. I could translate everything he said about the 3A and ladies’ quads but that might be better suited for The Edge. For Aliona’s fanfest I will only post what he said about her both in the SP and the FS because she impressed him with both programs. Here we go:

Aliona Kostornaya, one year older. (than Anna, who skated before her) 16. From Moscow. First European Championship.

She lands her 3A. Boah. This can’t be. 3A, incredible.

After her skate: You can only shake your head. INCREDIBLE what this young skater from Moscow just showed on the ice in the last three minutes. Just take a look at the box on the upper left of your screen – 49.21. The audience is cheering – I think you can’t express in words what this young woman just did on the ice. And here again, everything fits. Music choice, costume choice, jumps, technique, spins, artistic expression, far into the 9s. 9.08 interpretation, skating skills 9.2 – and totally deserved! I would even give her a 10! Incredible. And then that 3A – as if it was nothing, as if everybody could do it! And it’s not just some small axel but just take a look, she jumps high up in the air, there is room, those are 80-90 cm (okay, I do doubt that. :biggrin: ) Clean landing, everything perfect. Then 3Lz and in the second part the amazing combination that we will watch again soon. Spins A, it couldn’t be done much better. 3F+3T, arms above the head on the 3T. Oh, I really wish for her to stay for a long time and that she will be able to do all these things even two to three years from now because this is just outstanding. And of course many countries will look in jealousy at these young Russian skaters. But well, just look at this charming choreography with the arms (ending of her SP), this is of the highest class. She cannot do a quad yet but she can do the 3A, this incredibly elegant figure skater with a sensational score of 84.92. Eteri Tutberidze, the coach on her right. After a skate like that you could crack a smile, my dear woman! Because this was just incredible. But you seldomly will see her smile, just a short nod, “yeah, totally normal, just another day at the office.” (well… :biggrin: ) The little one goes into the lead and more than deserved. Hey, you are allowed to be happy, you know!

For the FS:

“Aliona Kostornaya – the leader (after the SP) ….. Truly beautiful start – 3A+2T. Second 3A. Strong combination – 3F+3T! Aaah, such a shame. (fall from 3Lz)
Aliona Kostornaya – I would say our new European Champion. (he called it right after her skate had finished) With two brilliant 3A. Such a shame for the fall on the lutz - that spoilt the whole thing a little bit. But here we certainly had the whole package and that’s why it will be enough for the title. In her first attempt, too. She is 16 years old and she also is coached by Eteri Tutberidze like Alexandra Trusova before her. She is getting the highest marks for choreography, interpretation and performance – all above 9 – just like the skating skills. And just because of that she will be the European Champion and – of course – her two 3A will get many, many points. She would need 152.85 for the victory, her personal best is at 162. Yes: 155.89 points are enough for the victory, even though it is only second place in the free. But overall it is enough and with 240.81 she is our European Champion. Congratulations. As expected, three Russians on the podium and in the end, more than deserved.”

The rest I might post on The Edge in the next few days. It is a bit more critical but I think it is very obvious that Aliona truly impressed again with her amazing combination of artistry and athleticism. She IS the whole package. And like Daniel Weiss, I hope to see her for many years to come. :)

McBibus

On the Ice
I was able to follow her before she closed it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up removing followers she doesn’t know personally and making it a truly private account just for close friends. Or if she makes a new, private account entirely. I wonder if she was overwhelmed with more comments and followers than she expected in those few short hours it was public?

Previously, I was following Diana Davis’s photography account, but at some point she changed it to private and removed most of her followers. Whatever reason she had, I have to respect it - these young skaters deserve their privacy if they want it!

Yesterday I still had access but there is no new content

McBibus

On the Ice
Yes... she is such a sweetheart!! I love her sense of humor and I bet she convinced the (notable) others to go along with the ruse... they are a wonderful team..

I think Alions has some natural leadeship or, better, great charisma.
You see with the 3A that she's the one dictating the group mood, and whenever she decides to stand out she does it easily.
She can get out of the line and not just get away with it but leaving everybody smiling.

Heikkitapani

Rinkside
Definitely not! Her smooth skating and stage presence are by far the best -ever- and one quad salchow + 2 trixels - once again best ever - will be unbeatable 2021. I have noticed that those female quads jumpers have so thin legs so they bind their legs in jump like a rope so their have enough rotations to land "quad". Alionas 3.5 axel is high, beautiful, classic, powerful, clean landing... well simply fantastic.

Heikkitapani

Rinkside
Definitely not! Her smooth skating and stage presence are by far the best -ever- and one quad salchow + 2 trixels - once again best ever - will be unbeatable 2021. I have noticed that those female quads jumpers have so thin legs so they bind their legs in jump like a rope so their have enough rotations to land "quad". Alionas 3.5 axel is high, beautiful, classic, powerful, clean landing... well simply fantastic.

Meaning that she has lost her only chance to win world in 2020.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I think Alions has some natural leadeship or, better, great charisma.
You see with the 3A that she's the one dictating the group mood, and whenever she decides to stand out she does it easily.
She can get out of the line and not just get away with it but leaving everybody smiling.

YES! I just came across this photo today, and it shows exactly what you're talking about:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B91TOPzpJTx/

Clearly Aliona is saying something funny and making everyone laugh! :yes: :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, if everything had gone to plan, Friday would've been the Ladies FS at Worlds, and today we would've had the inaugural ISU Skating Awards, so I thought it's a good time to reflect on Aliona's amazing season. To me, she is definitely the newcomer of the year! :agree:

It has been a pretty wild ride, hasn't it?

After the test skates in September, I thought it would be very difficult for Aliona to make it to the GPF, let alone the World team. :noshake:
I even worried that I may never have the chance to see her skate live, because every year brings more competition, and I worried that she might not make the Russian national team in the future... :drama:

And yet, amazingly Aliona was able to bring back her GORGEOUS triple axel in less than a month, and she used it to win EVERY international competition she entered this season! :hap57: :cheer2:

If you had told me back in September that Aliona would be the reigning GPF champion and Euros champion AND the current World Record holder for total score, I never would've believed it, but that is where we are!! :yes2:

So congrats to Aliona for a truly spectacular senior debut season! :gclap:

Let's hope this is just the start of her brilliant career! :agree: :hap10: