Alena Kostornaia | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Amef

Final Flight
I think we need some accurate financial figures to comment on this one. What is the cost of bringing Shae Lynn in Moscow for a week to choreograph two programs for Alena? I'm pretty much sure that she cannot afford it. Will Rus fed willing to pay that money, I don't think so. They have good results with Daniel anyway, why to bother?
Actually Russian Fed will be able to afford it if she wins Jr Worlds or JGPF. It's their best investment. To invest in the next Olympic Champion material.

macy

Record Breaker
In an attempt to bring in some positivity, I personally really like Alena's programs. I think her SP is spellbinding, and even though she didn't skate her FS perfectly, I actually found myself tearing up during parts of the performance. I don't know, maybe I just have horrible taste or maybe it's because I'm going crazy from having moved abroad a few days ago ( :dbana: ), but there is something about her skating that really moves me. She's made a solid fan out of me and I'll continue to follow her performances--she's something special.

i completely agree...i haven't been truly excited about a Russian lady since Sotnikova in 2011. alena has it all...she is a complete skater. so easy and enjoyable to watch...the sky is the limit for her if she stays healthy. she has an extremely bright future, quads or not.

Amef

Final Flight
i completely agree...i haven't been truly excited about a Russian lady since Sotnikova in 2011. alena has it all...she is a complete skater. so easy and enjoyable to watch...the sky is the limit for her if she stays healthy. she has an extremely bright future, quads or not.
How I see Alena is, she has the potential to be the GOAT of ladies skating. She has that much rare, musical talent. She is the full package and more. I have never been so excited about a skater since Yuzu. And apparently TSL agrees with me. Their recent talk about Alena was so positive. Everyone can see she has very rare talent that you find once in every ten years or so.

SXTN

Final Flight
I think Alena is the most talented 15 year old ladies skater I have ever seen. Even Yuna and Carolina at 15 weren't even close.

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
I think we need some accurate financial figures to comment on this one. What is the cost of bringing Shae Lynn in Moscow for a week to choreograph two programs for Alena? I'm pretty much sure that she cannot afford it. Will Rus fed willing to pay that money, I don't think so. They have good results with Daniel anyway, why to bother?

that would be a waste of money

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Daniil seems to be able to choreograph one good program maximum for any particular skater this season. The other program looks like an afterthought. Many skaters have different choreographers or co-choreographers across SP and FS. Agree with other posters in the sense that Alena should get a second set of eyes to showcase her talents.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
that would be a waste of money
Agreed. Paying for a choreographer downgrade doesn't seem like a prudent move to me. They have Averbukh available if that's what they're after, in any case.

People are so harsh on Daniil, I feel. Every choreographer has plenty of terrible programs every season.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Daniil seems to be able to choreograph one good program maximum for any particular skater this season. The other program looks like an afterthought. Many skaters have different choreographers or co-choreographers across SP and FS. Agree with other posters in the sense that Alena should get a second set of eyes to showcase her talents.

I think that‘s a bit harsh. Last season Daniil was the choreographer of multiple brilliant programs. Alina‘s SP AND FS and Zhenya‘s FS (the SP wasn’t done by him) - helping them win two medals at the Olympics each, three silver, one gold. Nastya Tarakanova‘s and Kostornaya’s BOTH were very well done. Anna Shcherbakova‘s programs also were very good even though we didn‘t get to see them often. This season: Kostornaya‘s and Shcherbakova’s SP from what we‘ve fully seen in competition already. His FS seem a bit weaker compared to last season, yes, but how on earth do people expect him to produce masterpieces every single time? Some of them are bound to be not as good! I agree that they should get a second choreographer to split the work with Daniil - maybe when the girls are turning senior. It‘s not because Daniil‘s programs are bad but rather that working with someone different could help all of them get a new perspective and new creative input.

Hello from Brazil

On the Ice
Some people think PCS is just the artistic part. It is not
The skating skills reflects the deep edges and control, aspects that trusova is better than kostornaia.
However just the SS doesn't justify Sasha getting a higher PCS than Alena, she is far better at interpretation.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Also I think Alena would be very preoccupied with Figure Skating mentally, physically, emotionally to have the time and space to go on proper dates for the next olympic cycle (3~4 years).
There's no Juliet without a proper Romeo

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
the SS doesn't justify Sasha getting a higher PCS than Alena, she is far better at interpretation.

There were a statistics showing that most judges don't differentiate the components. If a judge likes a skater, he'll give 5 similar high scores with little scatter, if he doesn't - 5 close low scores.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
There were a statistics showing that most judges don't differentiate the components. If a judge likes a skater, he'll give 5 similar high scores with little scatter, if he doesn't - 5 close low scores.

When Euros took place, one of our commentators spoke about it a little, that in the beginning of this system it was normal that judges were giving e. g. 8 for skating skills but only 3 for interpretation of music, as skater with good skills doesn't necessarily be good performer also, or the other way around. But then she continued that now this original idea how to differ particular components doesn't work anymore, exacly because judges stopped to differ between them.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi folks,

Just a friendly reminder :pray:

Please keep ALL competition chat in the Competition forums until the entire event is over. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, GOES, links to videos, etc.

After the event is over, you can discuss individual results in their respective folders.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

Giver

Rinkside
So, looks like Kim Ye Kim will be legitimate threat to Alena. She can't afford any mistakes or "nervous skating" anymore because she can lost to her.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, looks like Kim Ye Kim will be legitimate threat to Alena. She can't afford any mistakes or "nervous skating" anymore because she can lost to her.

Alena will be fine. She was nervous at her 1st event, had that small step-out and scored 203.50. Yelim had 191.89. She had SP mistakes, but nowhere close to 12 points worth. Maybe about 5-6 more points if Yelim has a perfect SP. Alena can't make big mistakes sure, but she doesn't have to be perfect.

cohen-esque

Final Flight

But the same's true of Yelim and she pretty much never skates clean. Plus a skate with a small stepout from Alina still was higher than Yelim's clean free. I think she's got this next event in the bag.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

I don't understand where people are getting this idea from... :confused:
The two of them do not compare.

And we can't compare scores from different events. Different judges, different panels, different skating order, everything is different.

Alena will be fine!

Amef

Final Flight
I'm sorry by Alena's artistry and choreography and general musicality is miles ahead of Ye Lim Kim (skating skills, flow, interpretation, spins, everything is also much, much better).