Alexandrovskaya and Windsor documentary | Golden Skate

Alexandrovskaya and Windsor documentary

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was quite sad, but it's definitely worth watching. Glad I had a chance to see them live at 2 GP events. Thx for posting.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What's the title of the documentary? I suppose I could check under their names or under 'figure skating documentary.'

Thanks for sharing.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I just finished it today. Even though I was familiar with their story, I teared up during their final skate.

If anything, I hope that it raises awareness about how difficult it is to maintain a career in figure skating and for the skaters themselves, to ask for help when you need it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Wow. I'd never heard of them. Found it on Netflix and now I have tears running down my face. I'm not familiar with Russian culture, and how they approach failure, but dang, Katya made it to the OLYMPICS. She was a success by any reasonable standard. She had her whole life ahead of her to pursue new passions. What she had that took her to the Olympics she could have drawn on to be successful in any other endeavor. What a tragic story. RIP Katya.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen it but heard that it paints Windsor in a way too good light.
It's an Australian documentary But I mean he was young too, at the time. I'm not sure what he would have known to do. Plus the language barrier.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It's an Australian documentary But I mean he was young too, at the time. I'm not sure what he would have known to do. Plus the language barrier.
Thing is, where there is a will there is a way. Two years ago around this time I took it upon myself to learn Russian. i was comfortable enough with my progress that I applied for classes at a uni right near me, Rice University. My quick conversational Russian was okay, but I wanted better. Then the war broke out and I dropped it fast, like why is this American suddenly interested in Russian all of a sudden? I'm sure they wouldn't accept that I'm a HUGE fan of Russian figure skating and am pursuing it just to understand the skating commentary... lol. My point being, this was his PARTNER. Would it have killed him to learn her language just a WEE little bit? That documentary sent off BIG red flags to me with him as a person. He's kind of old now, maybe he should just move on. I vaguely saw the Oksana Bayul went after Katia recently, don't care, don't want to know. Just have some heart and kindness understanding and compassion. sheesh.

havb

Spectator
I think it's nuts to blame a kid (in this case, Katya's partner back then) for her mental health, her suicide, and her twin diseases of addiction and epilepsy, both of which can be deadly.

And I don't know if any of you know Katya's partner personally-- I don't, and so can ONLY speculate as to what kind of person he is. In the documentary, he comes across as measured in his emotional reactions, a bit distant maybe but kind and appropriate with her (at least on camera) and is reluctant to throw ANYBODY under the bus, including Katya. He does not go on about her drinking, which was probably awfully problematic, I assumed out of respect for her or maybe he didn't even know the extent of her disease.

People seem keen to form a person's entire character around a couple of misguided or simply immature online comments. He's still young, and doesn't seem like the a-hole people seem outright determined to paint him to be. I've read hyperbolic comments online on Reddit and elsewhere about how his partner "deserves someone better." Seriously, how can people even claim to know? We know so little. Tired of the character-bashing. Personally I wish him and Hye-Jin Cho well.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I think it's nuts to blame a kid (in this case, Katya's partner back then) for her mental health, her suicide, and her twin diseases of addiction and epilepsy, both of which can be deadly.

And I don't know if any of you know Katya's partner personally-- I don't, and so can ONLY speculate as to what kind of person he is. In the documentary, he comes across as measured in his emotional reactions, a bit distant maybe but kind and appropriate with her (at least on camera) and is reluctant to throw ANYBODY under the bus, including Katya. He does not go on about her drinking, which was probably awfully problematic, I assumed out of respect for her or maybe he didn't even know the extent of her disease.

People seem keen to form a person's entire character around a couple of misguided or simply immature online comments. He's still young, and doesn't seem like the a-hole people seem outright determined to paint him to be. I've read hyperbolic comments online on Reddit and elsewhere about how his partner "deserves someone better." Seriously, how can people even claim to know? We know so little. Tired of the character-bashing. Personally I wish him and Hye-Jin Cho well.
It can also happen in reverse. I've seen fans gushing over "what a lovely person Skater X is" when what Skater X has is good public relations skills, and I've personally known that he/she is Not A Nice Person away from the rink.