Alternatives to soakers? | Golden Skate

Alternatives to soakers?

Vladik

On the Ice
I’ve only recently purchased my skates, so am still lacking in some of the equipment I require. I’ve bought a pair of hard guards online which are due to arrive in about five days.

As for soakers, I have not purchased any yet, but have my eye on a pair on Ebay. I would have bought the soakers as soon as possible, but the bid ends in two days, so I’ll have to wait.

I was planning on going skating tomorrow, and have never skated with my new skates before. I spoke to my fitter the day I bought my skates, and he said for the first time round I shouldn’t have to worry too much about extra equipment right now, and guards wouldn’t be currently necessary due to the short off-ice walk from where you put on your skates, to where the rink is. As for soakers, he mentioned there are alternatives like a towel for the time-being.

I’m just fearful of damage to my blades, I think managing without guards for the first time should be okay, considering I won’t have to walk any sort of distances off-ice. However, I don’t know how sufficient my storage would be without soakers.

Are there any alternatives to soakers? (My fitter mentioned a towel, but I didn’t ask for instructions or specifications). Or should I just go skating on another day in the near future when I have all the necessary equipment I need? Thanks!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hard guards are more important than soakers if you're needing to walk around in your skates but most beginners don't bother on the rubber matting around the rink. I didn't own a pair of soakers for the first 18 or so years of my skating career, until I received a pair as a gift from a student. Certainly when I was training, they weren't a thing!

Soakers are great for protecting your blades and bag/case when travelling to and from the rink, and they certainly help mop up any moisture after you've dried your blades with a towel, but it is vital that you remember to remove the soakers when you get home and let both them and the blades dry out properly and come up to room temperature before replacing them on the blades for storage. Damp soakers cause rust.

So until you get a pair, dry your blades on a towel after skating (I use an old face cloth), stow them safely in your bag with or without your guards on, depending on how much damage you're prepared to sustain to your bag, and then take them out of the guards/bag when you get home for another towelling off and allow them to dry properly. Changes in temperature cause condensation, so it's really important that the blades, soakers and hard guards are all allowed to air dry at room temperature. Never put your skates next to a fire or radiator or other heat source as it can damage them.

Hope this helps - and happy skating!

Vladik

On the Ice
Hard guards are more important than soakers if you're needing to walk around in your skates but most beginners don't bother on the rubber matting around the rink. I didn't own a pair of soakers for the first 18 or so years of my skating career, until I received a pair as a gift from a student. Certainly when I was training, they weren't a thing!

Soakers are great for protecting your blades and bag/case when travelling to and from the rink, and they certainly help mop up any moisture after you've dried your blades with a towel, but it is vital that you remember to remove the soakers when you get home and let both them and the blades dry out properly and come up to room temperature before replacing them on the blades for storage. Damp soakers cause rust.

So until you get a pair, dry your blades on a towel after skating (I use an old face cloth), stow them safely in your bag with or without your guards on, depending on how much damage you're prepared to sustain to your bag, and then take them out of the guards/bag when you get home for another towelling off and allow them to dry properly. Changes in temperature cause condensation, so it's really important that the blades, soakers and hard guards are all allowed to air dry at room temperature. Never put your skates next to a fire or radiator or other heat source as it can damage them.

Hope this helps - and happy skating!
Thank you for your advice!

Just to clarify, (A sort of step by step scenario after skating):

I’ve put additional notes in bold.

1.) Dry blades with a towel.
2.) Place skates in bag without guards.
Only because I don’t have my guards yet - Damage to my current bag isn’t a concern for me.
And to clarify, you take the towel off right? I mean, will I need to wrap them or anything?

3.) Take skates out once arrived home, wipe down with a towel again.
Where do I take it from there?

Due to not having proper soakers right now, once my blades are dry and ready to store away, would I somehow cover the blades like you typically do with soakers, or could I just leave them bare?

Also regarding storage, how would I store my skates in the meantime? (As in, having no guards or soakers right now). I’m planning on using some sort of duffel bag for the meantime to transport my skates, would this be sufficient with storage too? Or is it not necessary?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You really need to get guards and soakers as soon as possible for the life of your boots and blades. Having to buy new boots or blades sooner than you'd normally need them due to not properly storing and keeping them dry and the blades rust free is going to cost you alot more than just getting a set of blades and guards. Do not buy the guards that are open in the back, those are more for hockey skates.

When walking around on mat in rink you can pick up all kinds of things on your blades that aren't safe for them or your skating. Also, when taking off skates for day don't only towel off the blades completely but also the moisture on the underside of the boot (sole). Do not leave them in the bag when you get home, take them out and let them lay out with soakers and guards off, allowing blade, boot, soakers and guards to all dry properly. Also, never leave them in your car or trunk---that's asking for all kinds of nasty boot and blade issues.

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
You really need to get guards and soakers as soon as possible for the life of your boots and blades. Having to buy new boots are blades sooner that you'd normally need them due to not properly storing and keeping them dry and the blades rust free is going to cost you alot more than just getting a set of blades and guards. Do not buy the guards that are open in the back, those are more for hockey skates.

When walking around on mat in rink you can pick up all kinds of things on your blades that aren't safe for them or your skating. Also, when taking off skates for day don't only towel off the blades completely but also the moisture on the underside of the boot (sole). DO not leave them in the bag when you get home, take them out and let them lay out with soakers and guards off, allowing blade, boot, soakers and guards to all dry properly. Also, never leave them in your car or trunk---that's asking for all kinds of nasty boot and blade issues.
I appreciate the advice! I think I'll be purchasing some new guards, considering the ones I purchased are open in the back. I was under the impression they'd be relatively suitable. I'll attach the link and maybe you can clarify for me:

Skate Guards

They were very cheap anyway, so I'm not opposed to buying another pair of guards.

I was planning on going skating tomorrow, should I just give it a miss for now?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I appreciate the advice! I think I'll be purchasing some new guards, considering the ones I purchased are open in the back. I was under the impression they'd be relatively suitable. I'll attach the link and maybe you can clarify for me:

Skate Guards

They were very cheap anyway, so I'm not opposed to buying another pair.

I was planning on going skating tomorrow, should I just give it a miss for now?
You can wear those to go skating in the meantime, just know they're harder to walk in. Be aware for figure skates you're better off having this type.

Vladik

On the Ice
You can wear those to go skating in the meantime, just know they're harder to walk in. Be aware for figure skates you're better off having this type.
I don't think I will be walking far anyway. However, I will purchase some new guards. Would things like Xcess guards work? I have seen them advertised a lot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think I will be walking far anyway. However, I will purchase some new guards. Would things like Xcess guards work? I have seen them advertised a lot.
please refer to the link I posted in last post.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm a former international elite now professional skater. I have NEVER ever heard of xcess guards. Most of us use and have used the brand of guard I have sent you in link in previous post or Edea ROCKERZ. That is all.

I need to go get my warm-up in now.
Good luck!

Vladik

On the Ice
I'm a former international elite now professional skater. I have NEVER ever heard of xcess guards. Most of us use and have used the brand of guard I have sent you in link in previous post or Edea ROCKERZ. That is all.
Thank you, I'll take your word for it! I believe the skating shop I go to sells the guards you linked. I will probably purchase some there.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Soakers are pretty much the same all around. For hard guards we use Rockerz. They are expensive, but offer the best protection and are the easiest to use (but not to clean, they can get grungy). No cutting or assembly, all done by Rockerz and specific to your blade, we are waiting on a pair ordered for my skater's new Gold Seals that should arrive tomorrow.

The most important thing to know about using hard guards is this:

Remember to take them off BEFORE you step on the ice! You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I see it all the time.

Vladik

On the Ice
Soakers are pretty much the same all around. For hard guards we use Rockerz. They are expensive, but offer the best protection and are the easiest to use (but not to clean, they can get grungy). No cutting or assembly, all done by Rockerz and specific to your blade, we are waiting on a pair ordered for my skater's new Gold Seals that should arrive tomorrow.

The most important thing to know about using hard guards is this:

Remember to take them off BEFORE you step on the ice! You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I see it all the time.
Thank you for your advice! I think I am going to try get some Rockerz.

I'll definitely remember to take them off before getting on the ice. I've heard that doesn't play out too well.

Vladik

On the Ice
Hi @Vladik,

You’ve already got soakers, so maybe you’re not interested anymore but anyway I prefer to dry off my skates at the rink with a with a towel, then at home I wipe them again if there’s any condensation, normally they are already dry. Then sometimes I clean the edge and put a little oil on too.

I have two little bottles for this, one is WD40 for cleaning and the other is 3in1 oil. I get why people don’t want to carry a can WD40 around with them and I understand why people wouldn’t want to keep a can of oil in their skate bag or in the their house where their skates are but if soakers aren’t being used for some reason or you’re getting corrosion then the only way to prevent that is to clean and oil them.

I stuffed a piece of spongy dishcloth into the bottles to stop spillages and left a bit hanging out the top to use like a brush. When the brush gets worn and dirty, tug a bit more sponge out and then snip the old part off with scissors.

Thank you so much!

I haven't heard much about using oil. Is it primarily used to prevent rusting? I might have to pick up a bottle. I haven't had any issues with rust as of yet, but I'm very cautious about it so it might help ease my tension a little if I buy some.

cheapskate

Rinkside
Hi @Vladik,

You’ve already got soakers, so maybe you’re not interested anymore but anyway I prefer to dry off my skates at the rink with a with a towel, then at home I wipe them again if there’s any condensation, normally they are already dry. Then sometimes I clean the edge and put a little oil on too...

Wow this is a crazy hack, what a great solution to something I've wondered about in regards to oil on skates! I'm definitely gonna have to try this.

Additionally OP, though you now have soakers and guards, I wanted to share that I have Xcess guards and they are perfectly suitable. They're more common outside the US and Europe I think. I bought mine in Taiwan, and after 5 months they're still doing great!

As for no-soaker problems, hot water (either from the tap or brought in a thermos) will help reduce condensation as you transport your skates to prevent rust. You get some weird looks pouring water on your blades when you get off the ice, but I can guarantee it keeps them much drier!!

Vladik

On the Ice
Wow this is a crazy hack, what a great solution to something I've wondered about in regards to oil on skates! I'm definitely gonna have to try this.

Additionally OP, though you now have soakers and guards, I wanted to share that I have Xcess guards and they are perfectly suitable. They're more common outside the US and Europe I think. I bought mine in Taiwan, and after 5 months they're still doing great!

As for no-soaker problems, hot water (either from the tap or brought in a thermos) will help reduce condensation as you transport your skates to prevent rust. You get some weird looks pouring water on your blades when you get off the ice, but I can guarantee it keeps them much drier!!
I think you're the first person I've come across to actually own Xcess guards! I now have Guard Dog hard guards, but I can imagine Xcess guards work just as well (they look more or less the same, so I assume they function identically).

The hot water solution sounds beneficial. I should try that out. Condensation induced rust is something I find myself worrying over quite frequently, especially because of the distance between where I live to my rink. Transportation can be tricky.

I appreciate your help!

cheapskate

Rinkside
I think you're the first person I've come across to actually own Xcess guards! I now have Guard Dog hard guards, but I can imagine Xcess guards work just as well (they look more or less the same, so I assume they function identically).

The hot water solution sounds beneficial. I should try that out. Condensation induced rust is something I find myself worrying over quite frequently, especially because of the distance between where I live to my rink. Transportation can be tricky.

I appreciate your help!
I honestly didn't even know that that was the name of them :ROFLMAO: I googled Xcess guards and a picture of my exact guard popped up and I was like oh! They were enormously popular at my old rink, so much that I used to get them stolen all the time, but there was always another identical pair on the boards so I'd just grab them instead haha

As for the water, it's the best thing I've done for my skates so far! I have a 45 min commute on a humid (and often hot) subway, so condensation and rust are my foes. The hot water is the best thing for it yet.

Vladik

On the Ice
I honestly didn't even know that that was the name of them :ROFLMAO: I googled Xcess guards and a picture of my exact guard popped up and I was like oh! They were enormously popular at my old rink, so much that I used to get them stolen all the time, but there was always another identical pair on the boards so I'd just grab them instead haha

As for the water, it's the best thing I've done for my skates so far! I have a 45 min commute on a humid (and often hot) subway, so condensation and rust are my foes. The hot water is the best thing for it yet.
Oh boy, they've been stolen? I absolutely treasure my guards, I'd hate if that happened. Luckily, so far so good.

I'm for sure going to try your water hack. Thank you!