Anastasiia Gubanova | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Anastasiia Gubanova

Scott512

Record Breaker
Absolutely love her beautiful and lyrical skating even with one fall in FP. Overall, this is her best performance this season. Her every movement connects with music so well and I 'm always touched by her expression.

Hope that she will have at least one GP for next season.

I hope so. Russian ladies Talent is so deep and so good Stasya going to have to get better to get on podiums in the future and she's really good already and oh so beautiful as a skater and a young lady.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I can't believe she was 10th. They buried her. There was definitely a few skaters she was below that she should have beaten. I really just am hoping she gets a GP assignment. If she doesn't I will be absolutely heartbroken...

Scott512

Record Breaker
Nastya is my hero. She is a musical whiz, as the Brubeck proves once again. Only Nastya would dare use music based on 5 beats per measure, and only Nastya has the musical intelligence to make it work visually. In this music the 5 beats of each measure are grouped into a unit of 2 beats followed by a unit of 3 beats. You can't march to this stuff because the 2-3 repetitions are not symmetrical, but Nastya can skate to it. She turns clumsy imbalances of 2-followed-by-3 into elegant objects of fascination. Her choreo of the drum solo is really off the charts. And once again the judges with bullets in their heads miss everything. You are truly great, Nastya, I kneel before you.

For anyone interested in judges' scores, this link will make you happy. https://www.fsrussia.ru/results/1819/rusnat1819_ENG/Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

I can't believe she was 10th. They buried her. There was definitely a few skaters she was below that she should have beaten. I really just am hoping she gets a GP assignment. If she doesn't I will be absolutely heartbroken...

10th? Ugh. Damn shame. 203 points and 10th. She did so much better than that. Rusfed has always buried her. Eteris 3 great juniors will be seniors next season making it tougher on her.

sjid

Final Flight
10th? Ugh. Damn shame. 203 points and 10th. She did so much better than that. Rusfed has always buried her. Eteris 3 great juniors will be seniors next season making it tougher on her.

I agree, she did so much better. Often scoring discrepencies arise when there is strong emphasis on artistry. There is a direct correlation between artistic integrity and lower scores. A closer look at Take Five will tell us more.

Brubeck emphasized that Take Five, together with the other songs in his album "Time Out," were written to extend jazz into time signatures not previously used. He thought of it as a pioneering composition, as an attempt to advance jazz metrically. To him, the whole point of Take Five was making music to measures with 5 beats (instead of with the usual 2, 3 or 4 beats). That is why you hear the "one-two-three, one-two" rhythm repeated throughout the piece in the string bass and piano. If you don't make the 5 beat bars central to playing or hearing Take Five, then you miss Brubeck's purpose.

Nastya's entire choreo (except when setting up elements) is based on 5 beat phrases broken into 3+2. Brubeck would love her work because she goes right to the heart of his music. And with imagination. She's not just marching to an endless series of 3+2. Her movement also reflects other notes that we hear, and mood. Anyone who thinks this is simple should try moving in 3+2, and then add movement that fits the other notes into this 5 beat base, and do it with beauty and style. In fact, it is so difficult that she deserves a huge score for creativity. But she gets nothing special. Maybe the judges don't understand the music, so her movement seems to lack meaning (in which case her artistic score might actually be lowered!). Maybe it's of little importance to them. If Brubeck were on the panel he would shower her with praise and reward her with a perfect score for artistic integrity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWM9LKK8P0I

Watch Chan's version from 2012. You will be hard put to find any repetitions of the 5 beat core. It could have been Take Two, or Three, or Four, ... However graceful his movement and cool his gestures, Chan's Take Five contained little of Brubeck's Take Five. He cuts the corners and reaps the rewards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZo-WpSqcI

Nastya is a natural musician. She connects with music from inside and spares no effort to communicate its message. Others are natural athletes and jumpers, that's where they invest most of their time. Jumpers are often graceful, but their performances are not especially musical. Figure skating is primarily a sport. At the end of the day, the biggest rewards go to the best athletes.

Merry Christmas to all.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I agree, she did so much better. Often scoring discrepencies arise when there is strong emphasis on artistry. There is a direct correlation between artistic integrity and lower scores. A closer look at Take Five will tell us more.

Brubeck emphasized that Take Five, together with the other songs in his album "Time Out," were written to extend jazz into time signatures not previously used. He thought of it as a pioneering composition, as an attempt to advance jazz metrically. To him, the whole point of Take Five was making music to measures with 5 beats (instead of with the usual 2, 3 or 4 beats). That is why you hear the "one-two-three, one-two" rhythm repeated throughout the piece in the string bass and piano. If you don't make the 5 beat bars central to playing or hearing Take Five, then you miss Brubeck's purpose.

Nastya's entire choreo (except when setting up elements) is based on 5 beat phrases broken into 3+2. Brubeck would love her work because she goes right to the heart of his music. And with imagination. She's not just marching to an endless series of 3+2. Her movement also reflects other notes that we hear, and mood. Anyone who thinks this is simple should try moving in 3+2, and then add movement that fits the other notes into this 5 beat base, and do it with beauty and style. In fact, it is so difficult that she deserves a huge score for creativity. But she gets nothing special. Maybe the judges don't understand the music, so her movement seems to lack meaning (in which case her artistic score might actually be lowered!). Maybe it's of little importance to them. If Brubeck were on the panel he would shower her with praise and reward her with a perfect score for artistic integrity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWM9LKK8P0I

Watch Chan's version from 2012. You will be hard put to find any repetitions of the 5 beat core. It could have been Take Two, or Three, or Four, ... However graceful his movement and cool his gestures, Chan's Take Five contained little of Brubeck's Take Five. He cuts the corners and reaps the rewards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZo-WpSqcI

Nastya is a natural musician. She connects with music from inside and spares no effort to communicate its message. Others are natural athletes and jumpers, that's where they invest most of their time. Jumpers are often graceful, but their performances are not especially musical. Figure skating is primarily a sport. At the end of the day, the biggest rewards go to the best athletes.

Merry Christmas to all.

Very well explained. Nastya does naturally work with the music she was born for this. I find her skating and Artistry lovely and melodic. I'm just so disappointed she gets scored low her whole career and hope there is a technique and adjustment she can improve on to get scores that are more deserving of her ability. I know Russia has a lot of depth with its ladies but it's hard to believe she could skate as well as she did at Nationals and only place 10th. But whar can she do to improve her scores ?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I noticed Anastasiia is answering questions on Instagram Stories. Anyone care to translate or share a couple highlights here? I’ll be your freind forever :)

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
I can only google translate them, sorry :laugh:

at present she isn't answering, she is asking.
Her question is "What is your most vivid memory associated with me?". Some answers are from her friends and they are personal, others are from the audience - people name different shows and competitions with her participation.

champs

Final Flight
Take Five has been used in figure skating before, FYI. Patrick Chan did it in 2010-2012. I think there may have been others as well.
Takahiko Kozuka skated to Take Five for his SP back in 2008-09, and

On the "B" side of the old Brubeck SS I had there's a quaint 7-beats-to-the-bar piece called Unsquare Dance. That's also pretty weird to try to follow.
Takahiko skated to Unsquare Dance as well for his SP in the Sochi season.

Thanks, I am interested in all programs using irregular rhythms.

Chan skates mostly to the notes. On the other hand, Nastya constantly emphasizes the underlying 5 beat measures subdivided into 2 and 3 beat units. This hypnotic 3:2 rhythm is the foundation of the entire piece, everything takes place above it. If you start at 0:29 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWM9LKK8P0I and watch her full body movement (not just arms and legs), you will see the lopsided 3:2 rhythm expressed in her full body movement. This choreo holds our attention because of the uneven quality of the 3:2 measures which we find exotic and a little difficult to follow for both ear and eye. She finds many ways to express the 3:2 base. The last part of the drum solo is most complex. Beginning at about 2:35 she stops, turns, rotates, etc. to emphasize the basic 3:2 repetitions. Her body flows to the 3:2 hypnotic rhythm. She elaborates the actual notes of the drum solo into this basic body movement. All this is done with the elegance we have come to expect from Nastya.
Interesting analysis, though I tried to follow the portions you mentioned in the video and I'm not yet seeing the clear 3-2 patterns emphasized in much of Nastya's skating as you described. Guess it needs more trained eyes that I lack in and I'll keep rewatching it :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always count Take 5 as ( 1-2-3-4-5 ) (1-2-3-4-5 ) as opposed to ( 1-2-3-1-2 ) ( 1-2-3-1-2 ) :)

I guess it’s the same thing but I find the first way easier to keep the big picture of each movement at hand (musician’s thoughts? ) and I’ve always thought it was very cool that Anastsiia clearly understands and can express it. Take 5 and Kind of Blue were the first two jazz songs I had ever studied and performed as a drummer. It’s a whole different kind of vibe compared to many other types of music.

IMO Anastasiia does a masterful job but I wouldn’t expect non musicians to fully comprehend some of the complexities and challenges it presents. That’s just the risk you take with tackling unique musical selections.

SkateSkates

Medalist
She was amazing today - best skate of the season for sure. She really attacked every element. Would’ve had her leading slightly overall but she continues to be underscored in PCS. Hope she skates clean again tomorrow and grabs the host pick GP spot next season.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was an amazing performance by Anastasiia:love:

I hope she can stay on the podium here. She really deserves it and I thought her jumps looked better than ever. Good luck to her in the free program! :pray:

malya

On the Ice
Agree, she was great!
They also changed her 3Lz-3Lo to 3Lz-3T in the SP, it's really to little points to risk anything. Please please can this good performance lead to anything next season - I'd be happy with her finally getting the CSKA bonus score :)

Good luck tomorrow!

Scott512

Record Breaker
She was amazing today - best skate of the season for sure. She really attacked every element. Would’ve had her leading slightly overall but she continues to be underscored in PCS. Hope she skates clean again tomorrow and grabs the host pick GP spot next season.

She should be leading? But of course isnt. Rusfed may not want her to win the Med, Liza and Stasya competition.