Andrei Mozalev | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Andrei Mozalev

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
And if his goal remains the second Oly, he has to move country rep now.
He did compete at the latest Olympics, would they really release him before the next one?

Well, at least the pairs that joined her recently are doing OK - maybe because their technical training is mostly still done by real pairs coaches like Perm or ex-Moser staff. I have a feeling she has become more of a manager who outsources technical areas to more qualified coaches. I knew one such individual, who could only command to do X move but was at a loss to explain how to do it and so either lost her temper to cover up her inadequacy or brought in guest coaches...

I just hope later fans will remember that Andrei's best qualities (skating skills, expression) were already present before this coaching change. He has a strong enough foundation that all she can offer is all he needs (i.e. consistency, packaging). I have my fingers crossed that he is mature enough to set his own boundaries when it comes to sustainable healthy training.
Yes that is true, I noticed that Mukhortova/Evgeniev are now part of the group, because their coach Tarasov moved over. B/K's arrival seemed inevitable because of their rivalry with M/G (although I still prefer Moskvina)

I'm guessing that Andrei was driven by his placement at nationals and moved to develop his quads, with which he apparently had rotation issues. I agree with you and hope the fans remember his existing qualities too! Or else everything will be credited to his new coaches
It is nice to see him thanking his former coaches so well. I believe he is the first Davydenko student at the olympics (or does Galliamov count too) :giggle:?

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
It is nice to see him thanking his former coaches so well. I believe he is the first Davydenko student at the olympics (or does Galliamov count too) :giggle:?
Galliamov has had success in pairs skating, it's hardly reasonable to consider his trip to the OIs as an accomplishment of Davydenko, who worked with him as a child and nurtured him as a singles skater :biggrin:
Like Gleb Smolkin, he is also Davydenko's student, but KA didn't teach him to dance.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I think that if Andrei manages to overcome the inevitable psychological problems in adapting to the new team and adjust to the new training system, this place is very suitable for him.
Looking back at his recent interviews, I think that in general he has the same approach as Eteri: the quality of the skating is more important than the place taken, all gestures should be executed perfectly and so on. If they agree on this and their goals coincide, it is much easier to move forward together.
As for the jumps, he is practicing on the ice with B/K, there are a lot of coaches around, maybe at least collectively they can find a way to fix things.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Lol, I was born in Moscow and I have immigrated. Trust me, moving from Moscow to Piter or whatever is nothing like moving abroad.
I must not have made my idea clear, which is a shame for a philologist.
I wanted to say that going to another city to participate in a show, even for a long time, is a situation similar to going on vacation: you're temporarily in a different space, it's interesting, it's a new experience, it excites your nerves, but you know that your home is elsewhere and you'll be back soon.
Moving to another city, especially a city like Andrei's, when you burn all bridges, is like emigration - you are in a foreign space, but you no longer have a safe home to return to. You have to explore this space and create a safe space for yourself.
At least, that's how I see it. I have had opportunities to travel, I love traveling, but I would never have decided to move or emigrate. Perhaps at Andrei's age it is easier to do this, but I still feel that it is not easy for him.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I'm guessing that Andrei was driven by his placement at nationals and moved to develop his quads, with which he apparently had rotation issues. I agree with you and hope the fans remember his existing qualities too! Or else everything will be credited to his new coaches
Hopefully the new coaches will help Andrei to perfect and polish what he has. The beauty of his gesture and movements is innate, his gliding is excellent, although in this aspect he has lost a little in recent years compared to the junior period. A lot depends on the athlete himself, given to him from birth. A lot of things were worked out by training in the past, sliding, choreography. Now it needs to be labeled and beautifully presented, and then this work on improvement will become the pride of the staff. It can be compared to cutting a diamond.

Eteri said in an interview that she is a little offended that athletes do not always understand what meaning coaches put into their performances, when they talk about their own stories, their own lived experience. Young athletes can't understand that yet. Andrei in this sense is an ideal athlete, who is already conscious enough to see the image and the idea and be able to translate it. I hope that they will indeed be generous with interesting programs for him, because it's a cool challenge and room for creativity.

On the technical side of things, I expect improvement in the quality of execution of step sequences and rotations, because Andrei can really execute that better and not lose points on levels. I'm sure everything that can be done will be done. I don't know if it will be possible to drastically change the height of the jump, but even a low jump can be tried to be twisted. This is also a kind of challenge, but for the technicians.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
- Andrei, a lot of things have been written and said over the last few days, it's interesting to hear first-hand opinions. First of all, how did you decide to transfer?

- I decided that I had to change something in my life, and drastically. And probably the most logical way is to move to another coach. Of course, it was my decision, I made it myself. Without me wanting to do it, nothing would have happened.

- Why Eteri Georgievna?

- I think I can say that I did not consider other options, only this one. Of course, it was very hard to make up my mind, Kirill and I have been working together for a long time, he has become more than a coach for me. I lived all these internal metamorphosis in myself, I was very worried, from the very moment when such thoughts began to appear. And when I knew for sure that I was going to move on, they escalated. I still have the residue.

- What's the emotion? Shame?

- Emotions change, but, uh. I just never thought I'd ever say, "I'm going to another coach." And here I am standing here saying those words. It's like a dream, really. Before coming to Moscow, even the first day of training, I skated like in an unreal world. I didn't think that this would happen in my life. But in general, all my acquaintances and relatives supported me in this departure from my comfort zone.

- How did you part with Kirill Anatolyevich? The media wrote that you had conflicts.

- No, there were no conflicts. Understandably, there are working moments, but nothing more than that. In my understanding, everything went quite smoothly between us. The reaction to my words was also normal, I think Kirill Anatolyevich was ready. He himself, in principle, said that I needed to change something. He wants me to succeed, to achieve my goals and move on. And wishes me well, I believe.

- What do you need give when a singles skater leaves a male coach? Flowers?

- Yes, still a bouquet. Kirill Anatolievich doesn't drink alcohol at all, so it's not so easy to choose... (laughs)

- What did Kirill Anatolievich give you in this life?

- Everything. Everything I have achieved so far is his merit. Thanks to him I became the figure skater I am now.

-Was Eteri Georgievna surprised by this turn?

- It's better to ask her. (laughs) We didn't have some fateful conversation, pathos words. Even her presence at the skating rink basically speaks for itself.

- So without interviews, screenings?

- Well, what kind of screening at this level? That's ridiculous. I read rumors that allegedly in Moscow I went to Eteri Georgievna for a viewing at the show. What are you talking about? Deciding whether they'll take you or not? This is nonsense.

- Have you already felt the changes in the training process?

- Not enough time to talk about the schedule. I can say that there is more ice. We haven't made any specific plan by weeks, by years yet.

- I'm sure you've read what Natalia Bestemyanova said - that she's afraid you might get injured, break down.

- Yes, I did. I wouldn't say that the loads are so dramatic. I didn't think about it at all when I was transitioning, because now I'm ready to do and give everything to achieve my goals as a figure skater. Including taking risks, okay, if someone thinks so. I'm willing to do anything. The goal is to become the leader of men's singles skating in Russia, that's how it is at the moment. But the goals are even higher, of course, and not limited to Russian starts.

- I keep throwing the headlines of the last few days at you - they also wrote that you will soon change your citizenship. What do you think about that?

- I would say that I don't want to change my citizenship and I never wanted to. I was born in Russia and I want to represent it in competitions.

- And if it's 2026, 2029 and nothing changes?

- I will still be skating and I see myself in the Russian national team.

- If you consulted with someone, didn't it sound like there were only successful girls in "Khrustalny", there were no boys?

- Well, I am well aware of the whole situation, without anyone's words. But having seen how Danya Samsonov came back and now at the Russian Championships performed after the injury... It's not just for nothing, it also says something. I want to disprove the stereotype that she doesn't do well in men's single skating when working with Eteri Georgievna.

- How important is it for you to have sparring partners? Probably the main ones will be girls.

- There's Danya at the very least. It's not like the girls are sparring partners, but I look at them and I want to get to that point too. It's very impressive when you watch those jumps and work. Your head starts to work differently - faster. I'd like to get the quad flip back, other jumps to master.

- Another popular opinion is that now you'll be score higher.

- Well, you're bringing up political issues, so I'll keep quiet. My business is to skate, and the judges - to do their job.

- Will you change the programs?

- I will definitely go to the Spartakiade with these programs, there is no point in changing them.

- And what about the Jumping Championships?

- Eteri Georgievna asked me if I want to go to the tournament, but I said no. Because I just moved and I need to solve all the household problems, it is unlikely that I will pull the jumping champ. It will be hard.

- How did you manage to organize your life in Moscow, to solve the housing issue? Do coaches help you?

- In the process of solving issues, I'm doing it on my own, I do everything, I don't ask anyone help me.

- You said that you want to change a lot of things in your life, including the view from the window.

- Yes, the view from the window will definitely change. (laughs) I'm looking for a hobby here too, like billiards. I will even play alone, I even want to find a coach in Moscow billiard academy and improve my skills. I don't know about tournaments yet, I think they are far away, I would like to learn to play Russian billiards well. But this, of course, is not the main thing now.

link

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Moving to another city, especially a city like Andrei's, when you burn all bridges, is like emigration - you are in a foreign space, but you no longer have a safe home to return to. You have to explore this space and create a safe space for yourself.
Its quite different when you move to an entirely new culture/language/people and they are an ocean away, i.e. immigrate. In Moscow, Mozalev knows plenty of people. His job remains the same, though I don't know what he is doing about his school situation (I assume it's a transfer). Piter is a weekend trip away. He will be fine.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
- I would say that I don't want to change my citizenship and I never wanted to. I was born in Russia and I want to represent it in competitions.
Disappointed. He will be too late to figure that one out, just like he figured 3 years too late he should leave Davydenko. Well, good luck fighting for the spot on Russian National Team.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Its quite different when you move to an entirely new culture/language/people and they are an ocean away, i.e. immigrate. In Moscow, Mozalev knows plenty of people. His job remains the same, though I don't know what he is doing about his school situation (I assume it's a transfer). Piter is a weekend trip away. He will be fine.
Galliamov has already missed him, posting jokes about Andrei on his channel.
No, of course Andrei will manage, I have no doubt. If he looks for a place where he can play billiards, he'll be fine. I just thought he couldn't help pining a little.
There will be no problems with the university, Andrei can even not attend classes, come and take credits. I just think he will be homesick for a while.
Although, it seems that he has already settled in well at the new place.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Millions of young people move to even different countries at that age and younger, especially to study abroad and it's totally normal to move to another city? I did when I started to study, I was 18, I was fine. Many people are moving away much further, to other continents. I'm not even talking about the millions of refugees, because for them it's actually hard and often a trauma. Going to another place for your education is normal. He's 20, right? A full adult.
I think the much more difficult part here was that it's not considered normal in Russia to switch coaches (which I never really understand, they are usually not coaching those children or teenagers for free, but they make it sound like they do) and he doesn't know if it will work. Tutberidze's camp definitely has very different training methods and structures and it might be extremely beneficial for him, it might be okay or it might ruin him - but in case it turns out it doesn't work he will have a hard time switching again, he will be seen as the guy who made the wrong decision, was unthankful etc. So, I think this was a tough decision in that sense.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Millions of young people move to even different countries at that age and younger, especially to study abroad and it's totally normal to move to another city? I did when I started to study, I was 18, I was fine. Many people are moving away much further, to other continents. I'm not even talking about the millions of refugees, because for them it's actually hard and often a trauma. Going to another place for your education is normal. He's 20, right? A full adult.
I think the much more difficult part here was that it's not considered normal in Russia to switch coaches (which I never really understand, they are usually not coaching those children or teenagers for free, but they make it sound like they do) and he doesn't know if it will work. Tutberidze's camp definitely has very different training methods and structures and it might be extremely beneficial for him, it might be okay or it might ruin him - but in case it turns out it doesn't work he will have a hard time switching again, he will be seen as the guy who made the wrong decision, was unthankful etc. So, I think this was a tough decision in that sense.
Yes, here they really don't see the coach as an employee, rather as a parental figure, and the transition is perceived as a kind abandonment of elderly parents, or something like this. It's a sign of a long tradition.
It was really hard for Andrei to make this decision, this coach has been present in his life since he was 8 years old, in fact, he doesn't remember any other life.
But the desire to save his career was stronger than sentimental feelings.
I don't know whether it will work out or not, but for now Andrei is full of optimism and gives his best in training.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei Mozalev
Tales of Plushenko
Skating rink in Gorky Park 08.01.2024

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei Mozalev
Tales of Plushenko
Skating rink in Gorky Park 08.01.2024

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Disappointed. He will be too late to figure that one out, just like he figured 3 years too late he should leave Davydenko. Well, good luck fighting for the spot on Russian National Team.
I half hoped that Andrei would find some Georgian roots, after hearing that he's moving to Eteri's camp. :) He is one of the few Russian skaters who I would not have minded seeing in int'l competitions. His musicality, skating skills, and quality of movement could compete with the best of the European men. Oh well.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
the only thing I worry about is andrei's health.Tutberize has a lot of bad records about this problem...
The risk of injury in sports is always present. Andrei has been professionally involved in figure skating for more than 15 years, of course, he has a lot of accumulated minor injuries and health problems.
I hope he and his new environment will be wise enough not to take crazy risks. I hope they try to improve choreography, gliding and execution of non-jumps plus make an effort to stabilize the jumps. I don't think they have a wildly ambitious plan to turn Mozalev into Malinin with improved choreography and gliding. Mozalev's jumping problems, whether solvable or not, can be compensated for by an increase in second scores and work on the quality of step sequences and spins.
Although I think on the same ice as these jumping babies, he certainly can't help but improve his jumper skills.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I half hoped that Andrei would find some Georgian roots, after hearing that he's moving to Eteri's camp. :) He is one of the few Russian skaters who I would not have minded seeing in int'l competitions. His musicality, skating skills, and quality of movement could compete with the best of the European men. Oh well.
When Germany was mentioned in relation to Mozalev, I had a brief splash of hope seeing him build up the team with Starostin, particularly since he is interested in teaching. But I have a feeling that transfers are being suppressed with an iron fist and Soviet-era zeal. Unless Duduakov can miraculously set his 4S, 4T and 3A to at least landing, his career in Russia will likely move to non-competitive track really soon.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Unless Duduakov can miraculously set his 4S, 4T and 3A to at least landing, his career in Russia will likely move to non-competitive track really soon.
I think Andrei was inspired by the example of Daniil Samsonov, who, owning one quad, was almost close to the podium. In any other coaching staff Daniil's career would have been over by now. I think Andrei thinks: if he could do it, why can't I?

In Andrei's case, comprehensive improvements are needed. The problem with jumping is the most striking and significant (yes, I know a lot of guys with worse problems, but they don't aspire to the tops), but not only that. We also need to raise the level of execution of all non-jumping elements, as this season Andrei's performance of this aspect has clearly deteriorated. He consistently fails to fulfill the st. seq. requirements for level 4, and also sometimes he does not demonstrate the quantity of rotations to get level 4, there are problems with sitting position when performing combined rotations. With the steps and rotations of level 4, even performing quads at a low height with one or two small errors, he can get points at the level of top athletes, as this season he got 282 points in St. Petersburg. Hopefully, the new coaching staff will be able to overcome the judges' persistent dislike of this season's programs, and the second score will also grow significantly.

If Andrei really cooperates with Tutberidze's staff on a long-term basis, he will definitely achieve an improvement in his scores for non-jumping elements (because he will be trained not to make mistakes and not to lose points) and in his second score. In this situation, even low jumps won't be a problem and he'll be either in the top or consistently near it. Whether he'll be able to raise his jump height and stabilize his jumps, we'll see. But I think if the coaches like Andrei, and Andrei can fulfill the conditions of the coaches, there won't be much problem with his career, maybe not a definite top, but near the top. Of course, no one can predict now how things will go for them. Something concrete can be said only in the fall, and even then not for sure.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Information from Andrei's fan-group in TG: Everyone hello from Andrei! He is happy, he is training and preparing for the Spartakiade.