Angela Wang now coached by Ravi Walia, per USFS bio | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Angela Wang now coached by Ravi Walia, per USFS bio

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually, it sounds like Ravi is building a small group of Senior ladies in Edmonton.

Aurora Cotop has also just moved from the Toronto area to Edmonton to train with Ravi Wallia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/discolights444/42000221611

While she has been assigned one JGP, Aurora's now a Canadian National Team member so we expect her to move to Seniors later this season. She was 5th at senior nationals in January.

I'm hoping that Angela, Aurora and Kaetlyn (who's been in Edmonton working up new and interesting combo jumps), will become friends as training mates. We've seen at TCC how a supportive and positive environment can help all the skaters raise their level.

I really hope Kaetlyn comes back re energized. Could this be like an Eteri camp? Only Canadianized??? Go Ravi. I just hope these ladies can stay away from the Cinnabon store nearby. LOL I think ther is 1200 calories in one treat.

TGee

Record Breaker
I really hope Kaetlyn comes back re energized. Could this be like an Eteri camp? Only Canadianized??? Go Ravi. I just hope these ladies can stay away from the Cinnabon store nearby. LOL I think ther is 1200 calories in one treat.
Cinnamon! Gosh, having that in sight while they train is some way to build willpower.

But generally, training at WEM must really build a certain kind of resilience as they keep focused in spite of all the comings and goings around them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Angela confirms her coaching change to Ravi in this piece by Claire Cloutier about Evening of Champions, which she performed in:
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...pays-tribute-to-ludmila-belousova-protopopov/

Wang said that the Kwans were instrumental in her recent coaching change to Ravi Walia. After 7 years of training in Colorado Springs, she felt it was time for a change. There were no issues with her situation in Colorado. “But I felt if I didn’t try something different, I would regret it,” she said. When she reached out to the Kwans for advice, Michelle and Karen both recommended Walia as a potential new coach. She made the move to Edmonton, Canada, to work with him just a couple of weeks ago, and said everything is going well so far. Meanwhile, Wang continues to pursue her bachelor’s degree in exercise science, taking one online course this semester.

Interesting to hear that Karen and Michelle recommended him!

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hope she can be more consistent. I don't think her problem is "nerve." It seems she simply does not have a good success rate in some of her jumps. Or she lacks stamina (though it does look so) because she often starts a program great and then fall on later jumps.

TGee

Record Breaker
From what we've heard about Ravi's approach to Kaetlyn's rehabilitation after injury, he seems to have an excellent grasp of sports psychology as well as how to design a long term program to reach success.

It will be different for Angela of course as she has different needs and he is just getting to know her well.

But it sounds very promising.