As promised: Bagged Milk | Page 9 | Golden Skate

As promised: Bagged Milk

Sabrina

Record Breaker
What is incredibly difficult to find is un homogenized milk in bags, here in Canada (Toronto GTA). Most stores don't carry un homogenized milk at all. The only available option is organic milk in 1 l glass bottles. But, the price might be prohibitive for lower incomes. I prefer un filtered milk, but I only buy the glass bottle in summer as it is grass fed, and even then, I still buy organic whole milk bags (3.8%) for my milk addicted family.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What is incredibly difficult to find is un homogenized milk in bags, here in Canada (Toronto GTA). Most stores don't carry un homogenized milk at all. The only available option is organic milk in 1 l glass bottles. But, the price might be prohibitive for lower incomes. I prefer un filtered milk, but I only buy the glass bottle in summer as it is grass fed, and even then, I still buy organic whole milk bags (3.8%) for my milk addicted family.
If I want to buy unhomogenized milk I have to get unpasteurized fresh milk from a local farm store. I thought and read quite a lot about it lately, my little boy is 8 months old, I'm allergic to milk protein (not casein or lactose, only milk protein ... I think I developed this allergy because I used to drink huge amounts of whey) and I don't want to give him homogenized milk, but I also don't want to feed him unpasteurized milk ... I just don't want him to develop any of those stupid food allergies.
The good thing in Austria is that you can buy organic grass or hay fed milk everywhere and it's not even expensive in comparison to the normal products.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
If I want to buy unhomogenized milk I have to get unpasteurized fresh milk from a local farm store.

It is illegal to sell unpasteurized milk in Canada. So, no store sells unpasteurized milk, and farmers who tried to sell it got arrested. And you are correct, as I wouldn't give unpasteurized milk to a kid so young. But if you buy fresh raw milk, boil it and then it can be used as regular store milk, still better.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't think there is much milk delivery in Canada. There isn't any in my home town and I'm in the capital. I miss that when I was in England the milk would come to the door. It was sort of like Milk Santa leaving you a gift.

Well you get a thumbs up just for the phrase "Milk Santa."

Carry on. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It is illegal to sell unpasteurized milk in Canada. So, no store sells unpasteurized milk, and farmers who tried to sell it got arrested. And you are correct, as I wouldn't give unpasteurized milk to a kid so young. But if you buy fresh raw milk, boil it and then it can be used as regular store milk, still better.

Which is frankly annoying. People should be able to buy unpasteurized milk if they want it. There are a lot of government controls on agriculture and food production here that are done in the name of "safety" but instead seem to really limit choice.

WeakAnkles, I was a weird kid. Which makes sense because I'm a weird adult. :hap36:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I asked my friend from Toronto about bagged milk and after he laughed a bit he told me I should be more focused on finding some Jos Louis snacks. He also told me bagged milk isn’t a Canadian thing as much as a Quebec and Ontario thing. Is this true?

He also shared this funny interview.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/toronto-blue-jays-ja-happ-canada-bagged-milk-071516

This topic just gets more interesting with each stone I overturn. :laugh:

TGee

Record Breaker
True enough, the big plastic containers have been propagated in the West, particularly by Dairyland (Saputo)...where once bagged milk was a unifying element of our identity.

It may be that Ontario (which likes to think it defines Canadian) and Quebec are carrying the torch for the bagged milk tradition.

Which, Western Canada being as it is, would be all the more reason to go with the megajugs.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The regulations for selling unpasteurized milk are tough in Austria. It's become more difficult for farmers to do it since Austria joined the European Union. But a few farmers still do it and I really trust the one I would buy from. I already buy his goat cheese.
I will definitely start with a milk pap using that unpasteurized milk because you have to boil the milk anyway for that recipe.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Because, as adults, we are responsible for our actions. If I want to drink raw milk, why am I not aloud? I know raw milk comes with some risks, but let me chose that...
Exactly. It seems strange that you have to own a cow to be allowed to do that in Canada. Or steal it.

TGee

Record Breaker
Exactly. It seems strange that you have to own a cow to be allowed to do that in Canada. Or steal it.
Uhm, actually distributing raw milk in Ontario appears to fall under federal criminal law now...according to this recent Financial Post article;

https://www.google.ca/amp/business....n-canada-for-providing-raw-milk-seriously/amp

On the other hand, artisanal raw milk cheese -- both domestic and imported -- is widely available but labeled.

I vaguely recall a 'raw milk cheese' regulatory outcry in the 1990s when federal regulators tried to intervene. Clearly, Canadians are much more concerned about the sanctity of cheese traditions.

Non-homogenized milk, usually organic but pasteurized, is however available in glass bottles in speciality stores.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I asked my friend from Toronto about bagged milk and after he laughed a bit he told me I should be more focused on finding some Jos Louis snacks. He also told me bagged milk isn’t a Canadian thing as much as a Quebec and Ontario thing. Is this true?

He also shared this funny interview.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/toronto-blue-jays-ja-happ-canada-bagged-milk-071516

This topic just gets more interesting with each stone I overturn. :laugh:

'Got Bagged Milk' here, on east coast Canada as well as Joe Louis snacks. I guess some only think that such luxuries, are exclusive to them. ;)

TGee

Record Breaker
'Got Bagged Milk' here, on east coast Canada as well as Joe Louis snacks. I guess some only think that such luxuries, are exclusive to them. ;)
Hi O4G...

As a Westerner originally from the wild west coast, my suspicion is that this is a case of the west forgetting that it's not the only region that isn't central Canada...

This is a corollary/extension of the Alberta thinks it defines / speaks for "the West" or "the Prairies" thing ....currently under siege due to a certain pipeline controversy.

So if a couple of the big milk producers in the west go "American" with the megajugs, it means that bagged milk is now a "Central Canadian" thing.

Personally, I'm finding the jug milk, which shows up in convenience stores in Eastern Ontario, doesn't taste right. It has that UHT milk edge and makes my tea taste wrong.

But when I lived in New England, the jugs were fine. So Saputo must be doing something in processing to make the milk less fresh tasting.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I hope I am wrong, but it freaked me out when I learned that milk factories remove all the fat from the collected milk, then add that fat/butter in 1%, 2% 3.5% and 3.8% (only organic milk). I buy organic whole milk (3.8%), which is OK, but I tried some farm less processed milk (just pasteurized), and it was much better than the store bought. The best milk comes from Mennonites, but driving to Kitchener area for milk is challenging.

TGee

Record Breaker
I hope I am wrong, but it freaked me out when I learned that milk factories remove all the fat from the collected milk, then add that fat/butter in 1%, 2% 3.5% and 3.8% (only organic milk). I buy organic whole milk (3.8%), which is OK, but I tried some farm less processed milk (just pasteurized), and it was much better than the store bought. The best milk comes from Mennonites, but driving to Kitchener area for milk is challenging.
I agree...it's weird that they separate the milk and cream and then remix. But I had the dairy tour in primary school, so I accepted as a fact of life early on...

And I also agree that the 3.8% organic is generally best...but one our young ones won't touch it in spring when the cows diet suddenly changes...he says the milk tastes green.

For many cooked recipes, the Non-homogenized but pasteurized milk is best...nothing else will make decent Russian /Ukrainian "baked milk" well , and many sauces made with homo milk separate unless flour is added.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying SW Ontario Mennonite milk, but as just about everything they produce is tastier, I have no doubt you're correct...one won't see them selling in plastic bags...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I agree...it's weird that they separate the milk and cream and then remix. But I had the dairy tour in primary school, so I accepted as a fact of life early on...
In Austria we also had a dairy tour in primary school, I'm not quite sure wether they still do it our not. Removing the cream first is the traditional process as far as I know (in Austria they removed the cream, made butter, drank the butter milk (low fat, cream without the fat) and drank the skimmed milk or made cheese our sour milk form it).
I remember that they told us that yoghurt is exeptionally healthy because it's low in fat, back then we only had the 3.6% fat version. A couple of years later this low fat trend started and dairy products with no fat were advertised ... I thought that strange and if you know that the price of butter is one the rise now in Austria (and Germany) you know why they did it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Dairy lovers (and apologies to the dairy haters and lactose intolerant) I discovered a new to me cheese called Red Fox. It was delicious. Highly recommended if you like old cheeses.

TGee

Record Breaker
Dairy lovers (and apologies to the dairy haters and lactose intolerant) I discovered a new to me cheese called Red Fox. It was delicious. Highly recommended if you like old cheeses.
A nice red Leicester from the UK... yum...

But there aren't a lot of old cheeses (except some of the French "vieu pain" types) that aren't inhaled in our household.

Glad Canada allows cheeses to be imported with active bacterial cultures.