Ashley and Four Continents...should she go? | Golden Skate

Ashley and Four Continents...should she go?

apons575

Rinkside
Ashley has dropped out of Four Continents. Who thinks this is a smart move? Who thinks this is a mistake?

apons575

Rinkside
If she had won a medal at the Grand Prix Final, I would allow it. But Diva Wagner has yet to do 2 clean programs in international competition. Ashley can't beat Satoko Miyahara until she's clean, because Satoko just doesn't make many mistakes. I know 4CC is probably a pain in the butt to do, but if Ashley is serious about winning a world medal in her home country...in my opinion, she should go to Taipei.

Well, going into worlds - by skipping 4CC Ashley will be going into Boston as the top ranked US lady internationally (at a home World Championships). Judges will remember GPF more than Nationals, if she goes to 4CC and isn't the top US lady - that would be a big blow heading into Worlds.

I think it's strategically smart, I just hope she really throws down the gauntlet in Boston because she has the 2nd marks to become a World Champion.

andyjo24

Medalist
This is clearly a mistake. Ashley definitely needs more practice and momentum going into Worlds. She particularly needs more practice with getting level 4's on all her spins IN COMPETITION. She always gives away points in this area, which may differentiate her from 3rd and 4th place at Worlds.

Oh well. It is her decision, and we have no choice but to respect that, but it sure isn't a wise one IMO.

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Well, going into worlds - by skipping 4CC Ashley will be going into Boston as the top ranked US lady internationally (at a home World Championships). Judges will remember GPF more than Nationals, if she goes to 4CC and isn't the top US lady - that would be a big blow heading into Worlds. I think it's strategically smart, I just hope she really throws down the gauntlet in Boston because she has the 2nd marks to become a World Champion.

This.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley should have gone. Her best finish at Worlds came the year that she won 4CC. I can't believe she's content with her US Nationsls performance and doesn't think she needs to build momentum. I'm not sure why the US doesn't take this event seriously but Ashley is passing up a chance here. I'm surprised that the fed even allows her to do this. It's very telling of the state of things here in the US.

Her confidence in herself must be shaky. Too bad really and kind of a :scratch:

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
If she can't physically do it due to exhaustion, then I think it's fine. If's doing it because she's afraid of losing favor or momentum or her image, then I think it's a mistake. This just makes it look like she's afraid to compete. But I guess skipping Worlds last year didn't hurt Stolbova/Klimov too much at this year's GPF.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's the thing about Ashley. She's smart. Her Coaches are smart as well but, she's always been able to get up after being down. Not that I'd consider her LP a downer. She's not 16 anymore and sometimes, even if your body doesn't need a rest. Your mind does. I doubt she's doing it for Mirai but, if Mirai benefits....Great!!!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If she can't physically do it due to exhaustion, then I think it's fine. If's doing it because she's afraid of losing favor or momentum or her image, then I think it's a mistake. This just makes it look like she's afraid to compete. But I guess skipping Worlds last year didn't hurt Stolbova/Klimov too much at this year's GPF.

I think 4CC is the last chance to establish oneself as someone who can beat Satoko. Once Satoko wins 4cc, she will be on the podium in Boston. one less spot for the US ladies.

tulosai

Record Breaker
1. as karne has already wisely said, it's her choice what she wants to do, and I do think her decision must be respected. She is an adult and has doubtless weighed the pros and cons as she sees them on her own and come to this conclusion.

2.With that said, in my own opinion, I think her decision is a mistake. I believe that if she's serious about medaling at Worlds, she needs 4CCs to build momentum toward that. While it's true that she might 'hurt' herself if she goes to 4CCs and skates poorly, it's a losers move to let fear of that stop her from going- or to put it differently it's the move of someone trying not to lose, not trying to win, in a sport where there is only winning.

The fact is she has little to lose even if she went and skated poorly and potentially had a lot to gain if she was able to go and beat the other Americans or Satoko. I believe she'd have beat Edmunds at a minimum since Edmunds has not actually fixed her URs and the international panel isn't going to conveniently close their eyes to that like the US panel did.

Even if she lost to Gracie and Satoko though, that's what everyone thinks will happen anyway (at least if Gracie skates halfway well) and by not going she just confirms that assumption instead of attempting to challenge it. By not going she ensures she's viewed as the US #2 at best and beneath Satoko come Worlds. (Sorry but no way is the GPF going to make people view her as above Gold, with all the politicking the USA does for Gold already). While depending on the skates on that night in Boston (especially with a home advantage) she may be able to challenge this order, it's going to be that much harder for her to do so.

As someone else said Ashley's best Worlds finish came after her 4CCs win. That was not a coincidence.

I think by denying herself this chance to gain momentum, she's made a mistake.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact is she has little to lose even if she went and skated poorly and potentially had a lot to gain if she was able to go and beat the other Americans or Satoko. I believe she'd have beat Edmunds at a minimum since Edmunds has not actually fixed her URs and the international panel isn't going to conveniently close their eyes to that like the US panel did.

If they call Polina's UR's and not Satoko's at 4CC's or Worlds I'm going to reinstate the jumpamatron until I break the Internet with it :furious:

tulosai

Record Breaker
If they call Polina's UR's and not Satoko's at 4CC's or Worlds I'm going to reinstate the jumpamatron until I break the Internet with it :furious:

Her prerotation is ridiculous and consistently called incorrectly, but unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon- the tech panel seems concerned only with the jump landing not the take off prerotation. I do sincerely hope this may someday change since I think it's an embarrassment and grossly unfair to skaters who take off correctly, but as of right now the situation is what it is.

ranjake

Final Flight
Last year, Ashley did way too much media before Worlds, imo. She was skating outside on the 'Today Show' when it was literally 4 degrees. I hope she finds a winning balance this year. I'm glad Mirai gets to go to 4C. I hope she builds on her Nationals showing.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Ashley sometimes complains about being exhausted by the end of the season. It's good she knows what she can take. Now she has 2 months to catch her breath and actually do some work on her programs.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley sometimes complains about being exhausted by the end of the season. It's good she knows what she can take. Now she has 2 months to catch her breath and actually do some work on her programs.

Two months off is an entire off season in some sports :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure how Ashley can be exhausted. She's competed four times in almost four months. I wonder if she doesn't want to take the chance of losing to Gracie and Polina again and have her reputation take a hit?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you're "not sure how Ashley can be exhausted," then maybe it's because you haven't been in her shoes.

She said last year that as she's come into her twenties, she's learned that she needs to give herself a few days' rest at times that she didn't need when she was a teen-ager. Also, Raf said in TSL interview that she gets more tired as the season progresses. She's wise to respect her body's needs.

One could argue whether a 24-year old woman ought to be competing against 16-year-olds in this sport. For me, her determination to continue in what she loves, and find the resources to improve technically at an age when most of the ladies are just trying to hang onto what they've got, is one of the most inspiring things about her.

I don't think she's worried about her reputation so much. I think she knows she's capable of medaling at Worlds and is doing everything possible. For her. I admit I'm uneasy about her declining 4CC, for the reasons about Satoko mentioned above. But I'm believing that she'll skate two great programs in Boston.

Ashley has a particular combination of qualities that literally no other lady in the world possesses. If she can skate clean, her powerful expression of the music, her powerful and engaging presence on the ice, and her personality, artistry, and ability to sell her programs will put her at the top.

Yeah, I'm a believer.:luv17:

Icey

Record Breaker
Yes, will give her time to come up with a new long program lol. Sorry, I've just reached my limit with watching it. It was a good program, but I have just become bored with it.