Ashley Wagner | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that GP list was assuming Ashley was retired. I believe she still has enough ranking to get at least one grand prix if she wanted.

Yeah, people ARE assuming.

So I looked up Gracie Gold's record, since I remembered that she got two GP assignments last fall, China and France, both of which she withdrew from. That was fall 2017, and for her season 2016-17 she came 5th and 8th in her GP assignments, then she was 6th at US Nationals. So if that is any indication, I think Ashley would also get two assignments next fall. Whether she chooses to accept any is very much up in the air.

Here's a link to Ashley's instagram. It's from one day last week, I believe. She says, "Got on the ice for the first time in a while.... Truly one of the harder things I've had to do, but definitely a step in the right direction." It's more of her skate to "I am Here" by Pink.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgC5epogJuK/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nationals have nothing to do with GP assignments.

They are based on worlds (top 12? at worlds get two assignments), seasons best score (top 24?) get at least one assignment and world rankings (top 24? get at least one assignment). Of course, there's overlap between those lists.

In addition, the host host can pick an extra skater for each discipline. They usually pick their own skaters who have one or no "regular" assignments.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley will be doing a show version of LLL for SOI, per her IG story. She says it's not easy skating after she hasn't been training for a while.

I'm looking forward to seeing her show version next month!

Miller

Final Flight
I think that GP list was assuming Ashley was retired. I believe she still has enough ranking to get at least one grand prix if she wanted.

Ashley's Seasons Best should be plenty good enough for her to get an invite after guaranteed spots are taken account of. However she will no longer be in the Worlds top 24 rankings after this season (I've done the calculations and she will drop out alongside Anna Pogorilaya and, unbelievably, Elena Radionova - need to do Challengers and so on to keep up the ranking points). Hence for 2 spots she'd need a Host Pick as well, though I would imagine at this moment in time that is reserved for Starr Andrews/Ting Cui (if she turns Senior).

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Sounds like Ashley will be taking next season off. I'm disappointed, but also glad that she's doing what she needs to do to take care of herself. This does make me significantly more motivated to try to make it to see Stars On Ice for the first time, though!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's something about the quote below, from a People article a couple of days ago, that really makes me happy. I feel like Ashley knows ... and knew almost from the beginning ... that she needed to take time, and then also to give herself the chance to train seriously over the summer. And now she's got parameters on how to make the decision, but still gives herself time to get some perspective after nationals.

She's never taken this long of a break from competitive skating. She deserves this. In my opinion, of course.

As for her own skating career, Wagner has yet to make a decision about whether or not she’ll continue competing.

“For me, this is still all so fresh,” she says. “I want to give myself the time to actually process it and figure out what I want. If I can, at the end of the day, be like ‘Okay, Nationals, I’m satisfied with what I did and I feel good with that,’ then I’ll totally be okay bowing out. But if I get through the summer and think ‘That’s not enough for me, I want to do it my way,’ then I’ll keep going.”

http://people.com/sports/ashley-wagner-post-olympics-adam-rippon/

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I was certainly thinking the same thing, Georgia.

Ashley herself said that while she was at the Olympics, watching the skaters, she knew "I'm good enough to be skating here."

Well, that's an understatement. Her competitive fire, her commitment, charisma, and passion are enough to have created another memorable program. USFSA really blew it, with the way they treated her. It wasn't about not earning an Olympic spot; it was all about the way it was done.

I was proud of Mariah today for pulling herself up from 17th place after the SP, to 12th. I was proud of Mirai for choosing to skate the program and jumps that were stable, going for a clean skate. I was proud of Bradie for stepping up and doing so well, both programs.

My disappointment about Ashley not being there is in spite of all the above. I hope Ashley can get over it faster than (apparently) I can.

evasorange

Final Flight
Peak Ashley could have definitely contended for a medal here today. Now if we would have got peak Ashley is a whole other question but still. I will stand my belief that US fed and their games really backfired on them...I'm not sure what point they were trying to make leaving Ashley off of both teams but now that the dust is settled safe to say it was a bad call! We missed you Ashley!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's :luv17: Ashley's Instagram post from this morning (I think).

This woman NEVER loses her desire and her ability to help and inspire others, with her vulnerability and openness about what she's going through.

The ice is my home, and performing is what makes me feel alive. This weekend performing was the first time back in front of an audience since Nationals and I found myself facing this huge emotional hurdle that I didn’t quite expect. Getting back out there was terrifying because of my last experience. That kind of hurt and pain really lingers, and I finally had to face it head on. This weekend I turned my tragedy into a new personal triumph and I feel so alive and full! Always fight for what makes you YOU. It might be scary but having what you truly love actively in your life will always be worth it ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/p/BhW4PBXgGz7/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010

AND she never loses her ability to give performances that are so charismatic, heart-felt, and giving. As we all know ... and as testified by someone who saw her performance this week-end:

We couldn’t help but notice a maturity and elegance to your skating - especially evident in your program with Bradie, Karen and Mirai.
Reply to Ashley's IG from @kittymomof8.

Which pretty much says it all.

And this response also:

Ash, I never thought of your last performance as a tragedy, it was glorious! You have always been such and inspiration and it would be a shame not to have you actively in this sport either competing or just performing.
Reply from @cohen2588.

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I just saw that post and am thrilled! Whether she keeps competing or not, I'm just so happy and relieved that she's found joy in skating and performing again.

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
Reporting back after seeing Stars on Ice! Ashley was radiant, and that was even before a random audience member shouted out "We love you, Ashley!" (followed by cheers from the crowd) There was a really enthusiastic little girl sitting down by the ice who danced throughout the show, and during the finale Ashley skated over to her and gave her a hug, which I thought was really sweet.

evasorange

Final Flight
Reporting back after seeing Stars on Ice! Ashley was radiant, and that was even before a random audience member shouted out "We love you, Ashley!" (followed by cheers from the crowd) There was a really enthusiastic little girl sitting down by the ice who danced throughout the show, and during the finale Ashley skated over to her and gave her a hug, which I thought was really sweet.

How was La La Land?!

evasorange

Final Flight
Wow watching that I want to slap Raf and whoever at champs camp told her to go back to Moulin Rouge! What a sparkling, emotional crowd pleaser! oh what could have been :sad21:... at least it lives on in someway and audiences get to enjoy it! Thank you for the video!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy Birthday to Ashley!

BTW, she posted an IG story the other day about returning to the SAP center for SOI after not making the team. She said it was hard for her to get back on the ice there but decided to own it and move on.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to Ashley! I saw her at SOI at the SAP center and she was so radiant and skated beautifully. Her La La Land program is really lovely!

temadd

Final Flight
I was at SOI Anaheim and La La Land made me cry. I cried for all the times she did not get to perform that program, for the possibility that she will not compete again, and for the sheer beauty and emotion of the program. And as far as I could see I was the only one in the arena that gave it a standing ovation. Luckily I was in the floor seats and Ashley could see.

And yes Raf should be slapped for telling her to go back to Moulin Rouge.