Ashley Wagner | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Ashley mentioned on an Instagram story that she's thinking of starting a podcast :hap10:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
that would be so cool! :hap93: Do you have a link or is it vanished already?

Vanished already, sadly. She did an update a few hours later (that also since has vanished) asking what figure skating topics people would want her to talk about as well.

temadd

Final Flight
So sad that she is moving. I have loved being able to watch her train in person. Do we think this move is for the boyfriend?

sheetz

Record Breaker
I know her boyfriend is a bobsledder. If he trains at Lake Placid then Boston is just a short flight away.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Do we think this move is for the boyfriend?

My two cents: I do not see any obvious reason why Boston would consistently put Ashley in much greater and/or more frequent proximity to bobsledder Jimmy Reed?

He already has announced that he wants to make the U.S. team for 2022 OWG, and the life of a bobsledder seems to be somewhat nomadic.
This summer he has been training in Colorado Springs (where he also spent a lot of time as a hopeful for 2018 OWG).
I expect that over the next four years, he will be a "moving target," so to speak -- spending chunks of training time not only in Colorado Springs, but also Lake Placid, SLC, and (western, IIRC) Canada, for example. And if all goes well, he will be competing internationally.

(I am no expert on bobsled, but started paying some attention to the sport because Max had made friends with a lot of bobsledders -- including Jimmy, before he ever was linked with Ashley.)

ETA (on Aug 26):

On her Instagram story yesterday, Ashley said (I'm paraphrasing) that she soon will explain everything and that she basically picked a place on a map.​

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't Marisa Castelli live in Boston? Maybe Marissa moved back from Montreal since she's not training with Mervin anymore. Maybe Ashley wants to be closer to her friend.

After living in CA for so long, she'll have to get used to east coast winters!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Doesn't Marisa Castelli live in Boston? Maybe Marissa moved back from Montreal since she's not training with Mervin anymore. Maybe Ashley wants to be closer to her friend.

After living in CA for so long, she'll have to get used to east coast winters!

She's used to them, she lived in the DC/Virginia area for a long time, and (even though it's far from the East Coast/New England) Alaska. That girl knows snow LOL!

charmblade

Final Flight
Whoa, that was unexpected! As someone who lives in Boston and is a somewhat recent transplant, it will be a big change for sure but Boston is such an awesome city.

temadd

Final Flight
I need more info...please. I love the girl!

She's our girl Georgia! I am sad that she won't be in my area anymore

Here's what she posted on instagram: "I always told myself after this last Olympics I would let myself experience some life. I put life on pause for 22 years and lived an absolute dream, but I'm ready for a new adventure! This California girl is packing up and moving to Boston. I cannot wait to see where this road takes me, whether it be back to skating or on to new things. LA, it's been real, it's been fun, but it's time for the next chapter!"

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I hope she is ready for some real cold weather! Big change from LA, but a nice one.

I miss her skating, her fire and attitude. It was sorely missed at the OWG.

Good luck Ashley in your new chapter.

georgia

On the Ice
She's our girl Georgia! I am sad that she won't be in my area anymore

Here's what she posted on instagram: "I always told myself after this last Olympics I would let myself experience some life. I put life on pause for 22 years and lived an absolute dream, but I'm ready for a new adventure! This California girl is packing up and moving to Boston. I cannot wait to see where this road takes me, whether it be back to skating or on to new things. LA, it's been real, it's been fun, but it's time for the next chapter!"
Yes we love her!
It’s hard to transition to real life. I wish her the best. I hope she will continue skating in some form, but I also hope she can go to college!

macy

Record Breaker
at least she hasn't actually ruled out a return to competition at this point. she really deserves to explore other areas of life before making a decision on retirement.

if she decides to compete again, i wonder who she would pick as a coach in boston? or if she would move back to raf?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has this article from the Boston Globe about Ashley's move to Boston been posted anywhere? I missed it if it was in the Edge, US women, etc. It says she's accepted a gig as a personal skating coach.

“Over my 11 years as an elite senior athlete, I found that training with intention and purpose led to my most successful events,’’ Wagner’s personal profile on the club’s website says. “I aim to teach those with whom I work how to become an independent athlete, training with intent themselves, and capable of maintaining themselves to the highest level of performance on the ice.’’

Wagner, who holds three US titles, said she also aims to “prepare students to feel confident in their technique and training so they feel prepared to take on competition.’’
https://www.boston.com/culture/cele...medalist-ashley-wagner-is-skating-into-boston

I love all this.

But I am still grumble, grumble grumble. I miss her skating so much. And her presence,:love: spirit, everything. US women need her to be skating at Nationals. The World needs her to be skating at international events. She gives something so special.

waterfall braid

On the Ice
I love all Ashley’s videos of her with her cat on her Instagram stories! Especially today’s one with cat asleep on top of her!:laugh:

w_darling

On the Ice
hello all! i don't rly post much in fanfests (or elsewhere on GS, haha) but i recently picked up instagram & was impressed by ashley's instagram stories from this weekend (as i've always been impressed by most of ashley's ventures on & off ice tbh). i was trying to poke around on GS to see if anyone else has been watching them and noticed the post upthread about a possible podcast from ashley. has there been any official news on that? she's always struck me as one of the more articulate skaters off-ice, and i love how she tries to balance her informed opinions with empathy for her fellow athletes, even in these very brief commentaries.