Best competition programs with lyrics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best competition programs with lyrics

ruga

Final Flight
James/Cipres Wicked Game, Wakaba Higuchi's Skyfall, Adam Rippon's Arrival of the Birds (and the SP from 2018), Kaetyn Osmond's Piaf, Nathan Chen's Land of All

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I just know that if the lyrics are in a different language than English I immediately like the skater. And if it's in Italian (or even sung by the great Andrea Bocelli himself) I immediately love the skater. Matteo Rizzo! Torno a surriento! or Mitsuki Sumoto / Mi mancherai.

And as has been already said lyrics really worked for Javi because he's so good at story-telling. The Man of La Mancha and Guys and Dolls are the best examples (is there someone who didn't cry at the part "that one man, scorned and covered with scars, still strove, with his last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable star"??).

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i no particular order

Nathan Chen - Land of all
Jason Brown - The room where it happens
Matteo Rizzo - Queen madley
Kevin Aymoz - In this shirt
Mikhail Kolyada - NIghtmare before Christmas
Javier Fernandez - The barber of Seville; Black Betty; The man of La Mancha;
Boyang Jin - Spiderman
Adam Rippon - O/Arrival of the Birds

Ivet Toth - Thunderstruck
Yi Christie Leung - Florence and the Machine
Wakaba Higuchi - Skyfall; Energia
Kaetlyn Osmond - Edith Piaf medley
Starr Andrews - Summertime

Gillies/Poirier - Vincent
lewis/Gibson - Disco medley
Chock/Bates - Elvis madley

Peng/jin - Ophelia

Is there someone who didn't cry at the part "that one man, scorned and covered with scars, still strove, with his last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable star"??).

That is an interesting example, because the music all by itself has this effect. No one needs to be skating at all.

By the way, the great Sjoukje Dijkstra won the 1964 Olympic Gold Medal skating to this song (without words). Right on this cue she hit her climactic double Lutz! :clap: :clap: :clap:

------

Edit: Sorry, I meant the great Trixi Schuba in 1972. :clap: :clap: :clap: :eek::

------

EDit #2. Never mind. Ignore this post. Trixie's jump came on

"To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march
Into hell for a heavenly cause!"

I hereby resign as Golden Skate historian. :laugh:

There is a difference in my mind between two types of programs with lyrics. :think: I’ll use the same skater for both.

1. Lyrics are essential to the program and skater does masterful job interpreting new and interesting lyrics (for skating)

Jason Brown, “The Room Where It Happens” from Hamilton.

I think it is enough for the audience to understand the setting and what is being portrayed. I personally have no idea what the actual lyrics are to this song -- except the part about

The room where it happened
No one else was in
The room where it happened.

But Jason's portrayal of the sneaky politician was a delight.

2. Lyrics aren’t really important, in fact I haven’t got a clue what the singer is singing, :laugh: but the program is a masterwork anyway.

That is why I want Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva to skate a duet to "Sull'aria...che soave zeffiretto." That way I can post, "I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don’t want to know. :yes:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
peng/jin - Ophelia

OMG, judging myself for not mentioning this before. I love that program so much!

Also...true confession time, I actually became a huge T/M fan because of their Glam and Music programs - especially the latter.

I'm not even sure what that says about me! :laugh2:

bertha

Spectator
Javier Fernandez - Black Betty
o.png

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, maybe "The room where it happens" isn't the best example of understandable lyrics, although at least some of them are understandable, unlike "Love Is a B****" where the singer literally could be saying anything.:laugh:

But for those who think that skaters aren't thinking outside the box, or don't skate to dark lyrics:

"When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game
But you don't get a win unless you play in the game
Oh, you get love for it, you get hate for it
You get nothing if you wait for it
God help and forgive me
I wanna build something that's gonna outlive me
What do you want, Burr
What do you want, Burr

[Chorus, many rooms where it happens;)]

The art of the compromise
Hold your nose and close your eyes
We want our leaders to save the day
But we don't get a say in what they trade away
We dream of a brand new start
But we dream in the dark for the most part
Dark as a tomb where it happens
I've got to be in the room (where it happens)
I've got to be, I've gotta be, I've gotta be in the room
Click boom"

How much more cynical can you get?:biggrin:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner’s Moulin Rouge is one that just wouldn’t be the same without lyrics.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
OMG, judging myself for not mentioning this before. I love that program so much!

Also...true confession time, I actually became a huge T/M fan because of their Glam and Music programs - especially the latter.

I'm not even sure what that says about me! :laugh2:

don't worry, i'm sure i forgot a lot of great programs, my memory sometimes just stop working :laugh: i'm getting old

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Osmond - Edith Piaf medley
Fernandez - Black Betty
Wagner - Moulin Rouge
Papadakis/cizeron - To Build a Home
Shibutanis - Coldplay medley
Kostner - Ne Me Quitte Pas

LutzDance

On the Ice
More like "programs with lyrics that I like the best" :) In no order after the first one.

Nathan Chen-Nemesis
Such a modern and masterful program. I was shocked that he and Shae had the gut to include lyrics with the B word :p

Gilles/Poirier-Vincent

Sui/Han-Bridge over Troubled Water

Davis/White-Prince Igor

Patrick Chan-Dear Prudence/Blackbird

Papadakis/Cizeron-Rain in Your Black Eyes/To Build a Home

Shibutanis: Paradise

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I was one of those who staunchly opposed to the usage of vocals in competitive figure skating. But looking back, I realized there have been quite a few wonderful programs over the last few seasons, with vocalized music, some of which have already been mentioned. But they were mostly skated to the music I would enjoy anyway.
One of the reasons I was opposed to this idea was because I dislike pop/rock music in general in figure skating, I retain it is not an ideal genre of music for competition pieces. But there have been a few which managed to turn them into brilliant programs despite my initial aversion to the music itself,
And that is, IMO particularly noteworthy - and they are so far...

Horns - Kevin Aymoz
That Man - Savchenko & Massot
Papa was a Rolling Stone - Deniss Vasiljevs
Puttin' on the Ritz - Deniss Vasiljevs
Let Me Think About It - Adam Rippon
Disco Medley - Gilles & Poirier RD
Black Betty - Javier Fernandez