Boyang Jin to Train under Brian Orser | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin to Train under Brian Orser

I'm a bit curious about this too because in https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-heads-north/, it says Brown was the one who contacted Orser shortly after 2018 U.S. nationals asking about the possibility of training with him. It sounded like Orser was not completely onboard, but Tracy really pushed for it and managed to convince Orser. Maybe that's what it is?

Stephen has always had Orser as the primary coach and Lee as the secondary coach. I don't see that changing especially since Orser seems really invested in Stephen and it's his junior debut year.

I personally would not look into that sentence too deeply, I think only his high profile students are listed since those are the ones most people care about the most, and there's no need to drag in anyone else. I mean can you imagine if he went and listed everyone??? "Orser will be the primary coach of Hanyu, Jin, Medvedeva, Cha, Tursynbayev, Nishiyama, Daleman, Gogolev, Orzel (??).....blah blah blah". Too long! :laugh2:

I read in Icenetwork (I think) that Brown went to different coaches to see who would fit (in the SOI tour) and finally ask Tracy to be his coach, so many perspectives of this.

I also heard that because it was Stephen's first junior year, Lee asked to be his primary coach, maybe because Brian had too many students? I dont know, but cant remember exactly were. Dont know how much truth is in that, thought

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm a bit curious about this too because in https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-heads-north/, it says Brown was the one who contacted Orser shortly after 2018 U.S. nationals asking about the possibility of training with him. It sounded like Orser was not completely onboard, but Tracy really pushed for it and managed to convince Orser. Maybe that's what it is? ...

I read in Icenetwork (I think) that Brown went to different coaches to see who would fit (in the SOI tour) and finally ask Tracy to be his coach, so many perspectives of this. ...

I have no idea what Sorrento's source is regarding Wilson and I have no opinion on what exactly the "truth" is, but will quote some lines from Hersh's IN article (emphasis added):

After a one-day visit to the Cricket Club in April, Brown said Orser told him a team approach would be the only possible arrangement. Brown left without knowing if the coach would be able to fit him in.
Before Brown accepted the offer Orser made in early May, the coach told him Jin also would be coming. Orser intends to be the primary coach of Jin, Hanyu and Medvedeva.
"I'm excited that Brian was very open about playing [the coaching arrangement] by ear," Brown said. "I might love the fact I will work with different coaches and travel with different coaches. Once I figure out who I am most comfortable with, we can go with that." ...
During days off from the Stars on Ice tour, he met with five coaches in five cities. After the final visit, Brown called Wilson back to say he wanted to work with her and the rest of the coaching team, if they would have him.

I think the part about Brown calling Wilson back "to say he wanted to work with her and the rest of the coaching team" perhaps is leading to differing interpretations/conclusions by fans?

I hate Hersh so much.

For reporting what he was told?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I read in Icenetwork (I think) that Brown went to different coaches to see who would fit (in the SOI tour) and finally ask Tracy to be his coach, so many perspectives of this.

I also heard that because it was Stephen's first junior year, Lee asked to be his primary coach, maybe because Brian had too many students? I dont know, but cant remember exactly were. Dont know how much truth is in that, thought

This is the Boyang thread and I don’t want to derail it too much, but all I’ve read was that (1) Jason initially contacted Orser; (2) Orser made him an offer (which was that he’d be coached by a team to include Brian and Tracy and others) that he didn’t accept immediately; and (3) that he later called Tracy (not Brian) “to say he wanted to work with her and the rest of the coaching team, if they would have him.”

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/31/279137174/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For more often than not being a poor journalist and crafting unreliable narratives.

Disagree in general re your opinion of Hersh.

And regarding the news about Jason's move to Toronto, I see absolutely no basis for a claim of poor journalism or unreliable narratives from Hersh. Hersh did not report anything that contradicts the IFS article.

Jason actually asked Tracy Wilson to be his coach after he spent time in TCC and she was thrilled with him. Jason did not choose Brian first. ...

Again, I have no idea what Sorrento's source is.

But Sorrento's comment that "Jason did not choose Brian first" could not have come from Hersh's article. Hersh said no such thing at all.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I'm a bit curious about this too because in https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-heads-north/, it says Brown was the one who contacted Orser shortly after 2018 U.S. nationals asking about the possibility of training with him. It sounded like Orser was not completely onboard, but Tracy really pushed for it and managed to convince Orser. Maybe that's what it is?

I agree, that's also the vibe I got from the articles.

"Tracy was really impressed with everything about him."

"I had to check my dance card to see if I would have room. Then Jason came to the rink during a break in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour and he fit in so well. He is such a great energy to have around the rink. Tracy was really pushing for it, so we just had to do some juggling and figure out how we could make this work."

"We are going to take him on as a team so it is not just going to be one person working with him. I think on paper it will be Tracy and I as the main coaches but Karen Preston is going to work with him as will Lee Barkell."

It sounds like to me that Orser isn't going to be as invested in him as he is to Medvedeva and Jin? It kinda seems like they looked for room, and squeezed him into the schedule.

I actually think that one of Orser's main focuses is going to be Jin (along with Medvedeva and Hanyu). Considering that Hanyu may not compete for another quad, Jin, is going to be his top male skater for Beijing (Gogolev is iffy- age and all). Orser has more to prove with Medvedeva, but Jin has the most potential among the new TCC skaters. His technique is fine- he just needs better packaging, which is what TCC is perfect for.

yude

Record Breaker
It's good news that Orser will come to Japan for Hanyu's show (Fantasy on Ice?), I hope he and Yuzuru will be able to have some time to talk about the next season if they need. That is all I would say for now.

As for Boyang, I hope we're going to have his interview or announcement by Chinese federation because I think he deserves Japanese article like Evgenia and Jason did :biggrin:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Did you get that info from an article? If so could you post the link? Thanks!

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-heads-north/
Should be the part where Orser said Tracy Wilson was really pushing to accept Jason. Orser on the other hand, sounded like he doesnt have the time to fit Jason as in being Jason's main coach.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/31/279137174
Another article. To me, the emphasis on team was cos all the while Jason had 1 coach dedicated to him. Stimes going to others for short term.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
It's good news that Orser will come to Japan for Hanyu's show (Fantasy on Ice?), I hope he and Yuzuru will be able to have some time to talk about the next season if they need. That is all I would say for now.

As for Boyang, I hope we're going to have his interview or announcement by Chinese federation because I think he deserves Japanese article like Evgenia and Jason did :biggrin:

I want Boyang's interview on youtube, in chinese, hehe. Evegenia gave hers, Jason gave his, left Boyang the last of the new students.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I want Boyang's interview on youtube, in chinese, hehe. Evegenia gave hers, Jason gave his, left Boyang the last of the new students.

Boyang and his fed had been silent this whole time. The Chinese figureskating association didn't even mention anything on their weibo, nor did any other official Chinese figureskating accounts, at least to my knowledge. Perhaps, an official statement with come out soon.

Since he's moving to the TCC, what choreographers do you want Boyang to work with in the future, and what kind of programs/music do you think he should skate to? It seems like he's doing a program with Browning this year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Since he's moving to the TCC, what choreographers do you want Boyang to work with in the future, and what kind of programs/music do you think he should skate to? It seems like he's doing a program with Browning this year.

He's already working with Lori so i assume that one of his program is already choregraphed, maybe the LP.
Browning will make for him a fun program i hope. With original music. Something like Kazuki Tomono new EX on daft punk

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The comparison between Boyang and Javi in going to TCC is interesting. Boyang is already wildly successful compared to Javi in 2011 – Javi did not have any medals in major competitions and only that one win in Merano Cup 2009 in minor competitions in the spring of 2011. In that respect, Boyang is a bit more like the young Yuzuru Hanyu coming to TCC as Hanyu was already a World medalist, won GP events etc. Technically, Javi and Yuzuru were more or less on a par at that time – both were doing one quad and just about all the triples. This could be said – again more or less – about Yuzu and Boyang, both have ca. 3 quads (judging by what they have done regularly at competitions) and all the triples. Don’t know if Boyang has tried any of the others, but Yuzu’s ambitions in the quad front are well-known.

So, what happened to Javi when he started with Brian? Apparently Javi landed in Toronto late summer, August or so, and two months or so later he won the SP in Skate Canada and was 2nd in FS and 2nd in the overall competition. His first podium in a GP event. Cup of Russia a bit later, again overall 2nd with a win in the FS. Third in the GP final. And then he messes up the spring season. 2012-3 he had learned his lesson and earned his first European crown and the first Worlds medal.

Technically, they were able to add a quad in the SP and the 2nd quad to his FS brining his total quad count to 3 per competition – before he had done one.

But the biggest change happened in PCS. Before Brian, Javi had gotten upper 6s and lower 7s in every category. In Skate Canada, his PCS were all in higher 7s and lower 8s – a one point leap in every category. He had never gotten more than 8.25 from any judge and now he started getting 9.00 in almost every competition he participated in. 2012-3 he went from lower 8s to high 8s and even got the occasional lower 9. And remember this happened before anyone had ever gotten a 10.00 in any discipline.

I took a look at Boyang’s score development and he was mostly getting lower to higher 7s as PCS in his first senior season (2015-6, a couple of lower 8s there, too). Now in his third year, he has gone up to regular higher 7s and lower 8s with the occasional higher 8.

If Boyang benefits as much – and as quickly – from being under Brian’s care as Javi did, I would expect him to leap up to at least regular higher 8s and lower 9s in PCS next season, and the year after all lower 9s with the occasional higher 9s… Remains to be seen if he can do it (there is also that ISU congress and possible changes in rules etc., so who knows).

E

jaylee

Medalist
So, what happened to Javi when he started with Brian? Apparently Javi landed in Toronto late summer, August or so, and two months or so later he won the SP in Skate Canada and was 2nd in FS and 2nd in the overall competition. His first podium in a GP event. Cup of Russia a bit later, again overall 2nd with a win in the FS. Third in the GP final. And then he messes up the spring season. 2012-3 he had learned his lesson and earned his first European crown and the first Worlds medal.

Technically, they were able to add a quad in the SP and the 2nd quad to his FS brining his total quad count to 3 per competition – before he had done one.

Javier landed two different types of quads at 2011 Worlds - quad toeloop & quad salchow. That was before he started working with Orser.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Javier landed two different types of quads at 2011 Worlds - quad toeloop & quad salchow. That was before he started working with Orser.

Ooops, further proof that I should never do anything that needs accuracy after 8 pm. Yeah, forgot that, slipped by my eyes, thanks for the correction - that was the first time and Morozov get the credit. But Brian for everything else!

e

synteis

Medalist
I'm so ready for Boyang to crush it next year. It annoys me so much the the original Quad King has managed to get a gold at Worlds or GPF yet :C And that program looks like it'll show off his athletic quals and his artistic ones. Also, I really love his comedy moments, I'm excited to see those develop. His programs are always such a nice refreshing break from everyone else's.