Can’t centre layback with new skates | Golden Skate

Can’t centre layback with new skates

CHarvey

Spectator
So I had been off my skates for 25 years and had thrown out my old ones. Don’t remember what I had. Last year I bought a pair of Gams with Mark IV blade and was surprised how much muscle memory remained and how much I missed it. So started skating again. I had my layback spin perfect with those skates. Centred and fast. The Gams collapsed 2.5 months ago and I’m doing some doubles so figured I should upgrade blades as well as boots. I got Edea Concerto with Legacy 8 blades. Truthfully I miss my Gams! But what is driving me the most crazy is I cannot get my layback centred anymore. Not even close. I also feel like I’m skidding going into spins. I can centre my one foot spin and sit spin, but the layback is gone. It’s been 2.5 months since I got the new skates. I know it takes time to get used to the new length and rocker, but I’m getting frustrated. Will it come back? Is there anything I can do to get it back? Any advice is very much appreciated!

CHarvey

Spectator
Well, I had it perfectly centred until I got new skates, so that’s what the question was about.

JSM

On the Ice
Well, I had it perfectly centred until I got new skates, so that’s what the question was about.
Your blade profile has changed, and your boots have changed, and I’m guessing the blades were not mounted exactly the same way either. Your balance points are different than they were.

If the mounting or sharpening is off, find a good skate technician to help you out. Ask around your rink for recommendations. A coach would help too if that’s possible.

CHarvey

Spectator
Your blade profile has changed, and your boots have changed, and I’m guessing the blades were not mounted exactly the same way either. Your balance points are different than they were.

If the mounting or sharpening is off, find a good skate technician to help you out. Ask around your rink for recommendations. A coach would help too if that’s possible.

CHarvey

Spectator
Thanks. I know that’s part of the issue, I just find it frustrating that I can centre my one foot and sit spin on the new skates, but not the layback yet. But I suppose it makes sense that it will take longer on the layback to find the new sweet spot.