Can you glue down lining of Jackson Premiere tongue | Golden Skate

Can you glue down lining of Jackson Premiere tongue

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I didn't notice (and skater didn't mention) since last sharpening 3 weeks ago that the lining of the tongue on the Jackson Premieres is peeling away from the foam underneath.

**Please see picture below**

So far, skater doesn't seem to be bothered by this; however I would like to stop it from progressing. Is there a safe way to re-glue the tongue lining again? We have not had this problem before in Premiere or Debut. The boots are about 3 months old with about 15 to 18 hours of "on ice" time per week.

I am assuming this is not a major blow to the integrity of the boot and is really just to fix the nuisance and ensure it doesn't progress further.

Attachments

• 20240225_203306.jpg
    20240225_203306.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 48

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jackson boots used to come with a 6 mo warranty against manufacturing defects. There's been reorgs there, so check with your tech whether that's still the case and whether this issue would be covered. If so, check whether your tech will do the repair, or whether the boots need to be shipped back to Jackson (downtime for your daughter likely a concern).

Last edited:

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Jackson boots used to come with a 6 mo warranty against manufacturing defects. There's been reorgs there, so check with your tech whether that's still the case and whether this issue would be covered. If so, check whether your tech will do the repair, or whether the boots need to be shipped back to Jackson (downtime for your daughter likely a concern).
Do you think this is a manufacturing defect or is it normal "wear and tear" (I never know with these things). Definitely would be too much time lost if we ship them back as we don't own a backup pair, but maybe we'll visit the skate shop to see what they think.

These have been stretched about 1/4 size as they were tight, so we have the next half size up ready to go (although skater is ok for the moment) and toes aren't jammed.
Wondering if we just go to the next pair? Or do we just peel the lining off so it doesn't create weird pressure points? I'm not sure if the lining is functional on the tongue.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Do you think this is a manufacturing defect or is it normal "wear and tear" (I never know with these things). Definitely would be too much time lost if we ship them back as we don't own a backup pair, but maybe we'll visit the skate shop to see what they think.

These have been stretched about 1/4 size as they were tight, so we have the next half size up ready to go (although skater is ok for the moment) and toes aren't jammed.
Wondering if we just go to the next pair? Or do we just peel the lining off so it doesn't create weird pressure points? I'm not sure if the lining is functional on the tongue.
I personally have not worn a Jackson boot with the cloth-covered foam lining on the tongue. My first Jackson boot had the traditional uncovered foam; my current Jackson boot has the compressed felt (no foam) tongue.

Most of the functional padding on the cloth-covered foam lining comes from the foam. The cloth covering is mainly to protect the foam from abrasion and reduce the amount of shedding of the foam. But you're correct that a problem could arise if the cloth comes loose, bunches up, and creates discomfort. I don't know whether the foam underneath is the same grade as the previous uncovered foam, or whether it's more delicate.

You mentioned in your first post that you did not have this problem with previous Debut and Premiere boots. Were these also with a similar cloth-covered foam lining (Jackson keeps changing things)? If so, then this is not normal wear and tear. Perhaps others with this tongue will chime in with their experiences. At any rate, I would recommend that you have your tech evaluate them and make an assessment prior to the expiration of any applicable warranty period.

Last edited:

SmallAminal

On the Ice
You mentioned in your first post that you did not have this problem with previous Debut and Premiere boots. Were these also with a similar cloth-covered foam lining (Jackson keeps changing things)? If so, then this is not normal wear and tear.
We have been in Debut/Premiere for about a year and a half and the tongue has always been the same and we didn't have any issues with the lining before. Even the pair that were used for 6 months (the rest were 1 to 2 months bc of rapid growth) didn't have this issue.

I think we'll be taking the boots in this weekend and evaluating whether just to move into the next size.

I've heard (and read) about various quality problems at Jackson lately and I wonder if this is related to other lining issues people tend to have in the actual boot (not tongue) where they develop holes.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Was the lining ever glued to the foam, or was it just stretched tight and stitched (or glued?) to the foam and other layers at the edges? If it was just fastened at the edges, the stitching could come unraveled or the material could fray at the edges and no longer be held by the stitching. I would think that either of these problems could be resolved by restitching it.