Cappellini and Lanotte set sights on world podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cappellini and Lanotte set sights on world podium

bramweld

Record Breaker
C/L don't strike me as being that much better, if they even are. They have their own issues. Most noticeably Anna's poor posture. Everybody's even at this point I'd say.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
They lost their sharpness and confidence somewhere and in my opinion - to make things worse for them - Marina stubbornly try to channel in them Tessa and Scott style whether they're all everything but them. See their FD - costuming, vibe, some parts of choreography make a strong resemblance to Virtue and Moir style. I like them very much, but there's no point of doing this - they'll never be like Tessa and Scott, completely another level of every aspect in ice dancing.
I could see a bit of resemblance to Virtue/Moir's style in the original FD which was slower, "quieter" and more subdued, and Cappellini's pink dress was indeed like something that Tessa Virtue would wear. But even then the sombreness and depth of drama/tragedy in it was very unlike Virtue/Moir (yes, 'Carmen' was drama, but a different kind). The new version of C/L's FD, although less somber, is nothing like Virtue/Moir at all. V/M have never had so much two-footed skating, hunching forward, scurrying and over the top (or at least close to it) acting in their programs. And the overall mood of the FD is very different from what they used to do + Cappellini's new dress is not Tessa Virtue style either.

Plisskin

Medalist
I don't think it is that people hate C and B unlike say Chan haters or haters of Mao. THey are a very attractive team but they do not have the natural glide and polish of some teams. Their skating is a bit contrived at times and a little messy. Edges aren't as controlled or as deep as some of the other teams. And sometimes diva Madison seems to be their main selling point rather than the content.[/B]
Ah, thank you for breaking it down. Personally, I just really don't like their programs, lol. But I was very curious on what others thought since I've seen other less enthused. Do you think Igor can improve their skating skills and chemistry? Now that you mentioned about them being contrived I definitely feel that way as well.

^ 'hate' is fast becoming my most eyerollworthy word on the internet. I see no 'hate' for Chock/Bates in this thread, lol. I only see folks they have yet to make an impression on, and I freely admit I'm one of those folks. I don't find anything about Chock/Bates remarkable, which isn't saying it will always be that way. If <i>that</i> makes me a hater... heh. I'm sure the English language has more appropriate words for these kinds of feelings, especially nowadays that we hear of crimes in the news every day that are committed out of <i>real</i> hate. Sorry about the rant, but the 'hate' hyperbole thrown around every time a number of folks simply say they are not fans of someone or something, is a pet peeve of mine.
Honestly, If I want to say "hate" I'll say "hate". A word being used in a way not to your liking is your problem, not mine. You could have just answered the question without being snarky like other posters below you did, or just kept it moving since you have this pet peeve instead of unloading compiled internet frustrations out on me.

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
I could see a bit of resemblance to Virtue/Moir's style in the original FD which was slower, "quieter" and more subdued, and Cappellini's pink dress was indeed like something that Tessa Virtue would wear. But even then the sombreness and depth of drama/tragedy in it was very unlike Virtue/Moir (yes, 'Carmen' was drama, but a different kind). The new version of C/L's FD, although less somber, is nothing like Virtue/Moir at all. V/M have never had so much two-footed skating, hunching forward, scurrying and over the top (or at least close to it) acting in their programs. And the overall mood of the FD is very different from what they used to do + Cappellini's new dress is not Tessa Virtue style either.

When I watched C/L's FD for the first time, both C/L looked like D/W, it was absolutely uncanny. Especially their feet. And the lift position.

C/L are closer to D/W, I think.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is odd they are just hoping for a bronze really and it will be tough. Arguably they are more likely to be passed by the Shibs than them passing W/P or P/C or C/B. In a way I wanted them to retire on top and wished they retired last season as world champs.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I think they had their chance and utilized it last year. Now there is the chance for different teams.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think what you are saying is highly possible. Another World champ this year maybe say WP then next year C and B and then the next PC and then Olympics and maybe one of the Russians will rise up - it is possible.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking good after the SD in Shanghai! Not a bad start!