Carreira and Ponomarenko to train under Scott Moir | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carreira and Ponomarenko to train under Scott Moir

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
....does anyone think they might be moving to Canada permanently?? They're already a no go for 2022 as far as I know because her citizenship isn't complete (and there is still a chance the winter Olympics could be cancelled due to the pandemic).

The US has 3 dance teams in front of them. In Canada I think they'd only be behind Piper and Paul. And moving now would hopefully have his citizenship done by 2026.
It was announced by the USFS, and they’d never release Anthony.

Two of the three dance teams ahead of them in the US are a year away from retirement. Even if they could switch, I don’t see any reason to.

Dawn825

Medalist
I think it only makes sense if they are prepared to concede that they wouldn’t make the US Olympic team for 2022, and have decided to focus instead on 2026. And in their position, I wouldn’t want to concede that!
Barring any disastrous injuries, Hawayek and Baker seem pretty set as the 3rd team.

dancelion21

On the Ice
I remember reading somewhere that when Virtue/Moir were training in America when they were younger, they needed to return to Canada on weekends for similar citizenship/eligibility reasons. During normal times, CPom could feasibly do something similar, commuting to the US on weekends since it's not too far from the border. Now if they did this every week, it still wouldn't be enough for six months in the United States, so they would either need to be prepared to have less training time or an arrangement with an American rink/coach for the times when they'd need to spend more time in America for Christina's citizenship.

It doesn't seem likely that CPom switch to skating for Canada since a) USFS won't release them, b) Christina has a straight path to citizenship, c) CPom are already well-established in American ice dance and d) have I mentioned USFS wouldn't release them? USFS would never release them.

I'm wondering what they're planning for the near future, where constant border crossings aren't a possibility.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose it seems quaint, but has anyone considered that Anthony's family value his American citizenship, especially considering their backgrounds? Or that Christina sincerely wants to be an American? Or that if her only motivation is to dance on ice at the Olympics, the United States government has cause to not grant her citizenship? Or that Canada might feel the same about Anthony?

Changing citizenship is a life-altering decision, and I marvel at people discussing it like changing brands of toothpaste.

rain

Record Breaker
Well Scott Moir really got a top-flight team to cut his coaching teeth with (though yes, I know he's been doing some coaching with Dubreuil/Lauzon since the Olympics). Sounds like it could be a good match, and they certainly wouldn't be fighting with anyone for coaching attention.

rain

Record Breaker
I suppose it seems quaint, but has anyone considered that Anthony's family value his American citizenship, especially considering their backgrounds? Or that Christina sincerely wants to be an American? Or that if her only motivation is to dance on ice at the Olympics, the United States government has cause to not grant her citizenship? Or that Canada might feel the same about Anthony?

Changing citizenship is a life-altering decision, and I marvel at people discussing it like changing brands of toothpaste.

I would agree with you, except that tons of people have dual citizenship. He wouldn't have to give up anything, and neither does she. It's different with countries that don't allow for dual citizenship.

That said, I don't think there's any indication they have any plans to try to skate for Canada. And Canada's dance field isn't exactly lacking in talent or competition either.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

I would tend to agree with you if we were discussing non-athlete people... but athletes do it all the time... because athletes will do what is needed for them to get to the top. Also, so many people have dual American-Canadian citizenship.. it's not a big deal at all... if it helps with work (and i consider skating as work) why not? It would have been easier for me to tour back then.. much less expensive paperwork...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would agree with you, except that tons of people have dual citizenship. He wouldn't have to give up anything, and neither does she. It's different with countries that don't allow for dual citizenship.

That said, I don't think there's any indication they have any plans to try to skate for Canada. And Canada's dance field isn't exactly lacking in talent or competition either.
lol you beat me to it :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I believe I read somewhere that residency / physical presence in the US is counted by days, not hours, and if you are in the US for any part of a day, it counts as being there the whole day. So if you arrive in the US at 11 pm on Friday and leave at 6:00 Monday morning, that counts as 4 days in the US. Do that every weekend, and you are "present" in the US more than half the time!

Of course, it's much easier to do that without the COVID travel restrictions.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
They've got to be planning doing virtual coaching, then. The border issues combined with her residency needs just don't allow for them to go back and forth as they'd need to do otherwise.