CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova | Page 6 | Golden Skate

CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Everyone's known to underrotate (so I don't see the point of bringing Evgenia up as she underrotates way less than your average or above-average skater) :laugh:

Anyway I think the people complaining don't really understand the purpose of a commentator - it's his right to state his opinion, this is just one person's opinion. Nothing more. Didn't change her scores, didn't change the fact she got more points, didn't change the fact her jumping layout was never done before and is unique, didn't change the fact many people hate it, didn't change the fact many people love it.

It did however create one hell of a messy thread on GS :biggrin: :popcorn:

^ THIS

Once again, as with the Carol Lane thread: nothing to see here, folks. There has been much worse said in decades by the likes of Dick Button, Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton, Rod Black, and even now not just Carol but also Tatiana Tarasova and Max Trankov. EVERYONE likes to dish and give their opinions. It's a sport of divas - female AND male. And everyone talks over each other.

Y'all better step away from your keyboards rather than sling mud at total strangers. This was entertaining for about 90 seconds and then turned into Much Ado About Nothing.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I do not agree. Take one "famous" American poster. At SC he was unhappy that Mihara "wuzrobbed". At CoC he was unhappy because Wakaba "should have won". Whose side he will pick in France - no idea.

Without naming names I swear that this "famous" (not really) poster may have, ahem, verbalized his comments.

(I know exactly who you are talking about and quite frankly, it's not a big deal, it's his opinion.)

Hey, you guys! Stop picking on Americans. Lacking a ladies' contender ourselves, we like everybody.

Let me rephrase that: Go Ashley, go Karen, go Mirai!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^ THIS

Once again, as with the Carol Lane thread: nothing to see here, folks. There has been much worse said in decades by the likes of Dick Button, Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton, Rod Black, and even now not just Carol but also Tatiana Tarasova and Max Trankov. EVERYONE likes to dish and give their opinions. It's a sport of divas - female AND male. And everyone talks over each other.

Y'all better step away from your keyboards rather than sling mud at total strangers. This was entertaining for about 90 seconds and then turned into Much Ado About Nothing.

Don't forget the "Tara and Johnny we did everything better than these skaters we're currently talking about" fest. :sarcasm: Narcissism and delusion at it's best!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hey, you guys! Stop picking on Americans. lacking a ladies' contender ourselves, we like everybody.

Let me rephrase that: Go Ashley, go Karen, go Mirai!

Speaking as a Canadian, we're fans of the American ladies, too! :clap:

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the "Tara and Johnny we did everything better than these skaters we're currently talking about" fest. :sarcasm: Narcissism and delusion at it's best!

Oh honey the shade. I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive for their bonkers comments, LOL! It's actually hilarious to hear them go on. I would like to follow them around at Sunday brunch, feed them bottomless mimosas, then hear them really rip when the cameras are off.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And shame on Button. You can say, "She needs to punch up her performance with more pizzazz" without saying, I'd rather be eating a ham sandwich than watching this.

But don't we all have those moments were we get up and say "this program stinks I can go do something else"? I mean CoC put my family to sleep this weekend.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Evgenia and Alina are known to underrotate so it deserves to be called out by CBC as such.

9/10 of the times their jumps are fully rotated, they can have one underrotation after 5-6 programs, it's normal but other skaters are known to underrotate, not them. (unless you're one of the haters who always watch their jumps to seek the invisible underrotations, and ignore the rest of the field who usually underrotate way more than them)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Speaking as a Canadian, we're fans of the American ladies, too! :clap:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh honey the shade. I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive for their bonkers comments, LOL! It's actually hilarious to hear them go on. I would like to follow them around at Sunday brunch, feed them bottomless mimosas, then hear them really rip when the cameras are off.

Oh I know. ;) Just pointing out that they aren't much better than the others that are getting ripped here (Carol, etc) if not worse. :laugh:

ETA: And as I mentioned time and time again on these forums. There are Americans (like me) that love those Canadians. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh I know. ;) Just pointing out that they aren't much better than the others that are getting ripped here (Carol, etc) if not worse. :laugh:

they're worse because 98% of what comes out of their mouth is just stupid. The Tweedles need to go!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The message I am hearing is that many of the same posters complaining that it is unfair to criticize a 15 year old girl, have no problem criticizing a 21 year old young woman in Kaetlyn. Then remark that Canadians are sooo thin-skinned. Really?

That's reading what you want to read basically.

We all know that here the complain are the rude jokes, they can criticize a skater but NOT in that way and perhaps they cannot even attack the judges, period.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Its like we can't critize a russian skater without russian figure skaters *cough* dimitri soloviev *cough* and russian ubers attacking us. What Kurt said is true. As much as I love her the underrotataed jumps and backloading deserve to be called out. I remember when maxim trankov was saying even worse things about D/R and people thought it was funny and deserved turn the tables, flip the script and suddenly it goes from being "funny" to "mean" and "deserved" to underserved. So basically the message i got from the people getting mad at CBC's commentators on here and youtube for rightfully calling Alina out is its okay to critize other figure skaters who are non russian even accepted but not okay and hateful and distrcutive if its a russian skater? can ya'll be any more biased and hypocritical? Just because the delivery was crass does not make the comments any less true.

The commentator wants to critize someone, but it's an 'attack by Russian ubers' if someone criticizes him back? Being allowed an opinion goes both ways.

The problem for many people was not that he criticizes her skating (as I understand from comments here), but that it went beyond that by suggesting we might as well not watch the first part, as if it's useless just because there are no jumps. I found the comment about deducting PCS a bit strange as well, and it seemed to me (aka my personal opinion), as if he's frustrated by the rules, but took it out on a skater who abided by and made use of those current rules.
And before I'm called an Alina-uber, I'm not even specifically an Alina fan. I like Kaetlyn Osmond's skating more, for instance, which must be weird for those people who seem to think that if you stick up for a Russian athlete you must be a 'Russian uber' who dislikes Canadians.

I also think it's over the top to say people here are all biased and hypocritical for criticizing what he said.
All skaters deserve respect (unless they cheat or behave badly) in my view and if this Trankov insulted skaters, he should be ashamed as well. Don't understand Russian, though, so I have no idea what he said, if I have even watched a clip of him commenting. Not everything is about hating Canadians or hating Russians, and I don't understand some people seem to think that you automatically need to dislike one if you like the other. I think if we could all respectfully enjoy the skating of athletes from all countries, the figure skating community would be a much nicer place.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Perhaps Canadian commentators just need to learn the art of a backhanded compliment? That seems to be the distinction those that are upset are trying to make?

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Except evgenia and alina are known to underrotate the most without rarely getting called out on it by the judges. #russiaskate #biased

liv

Record Breaker
Oh dear. So funny to read all this over some off the cuff remarks by Kurt. Watching Kurt for years you realize he was making a joke about Alina not doing anything in the first half... he is awed and impressed. It is his kind of humour and as soon as he said it I laughed... but knew people watching it later who haven't listened to him for years would probably be annoyed and offended...Relax people. And over the course of the broadcast he mentioned that many of the female skaters UR... not just Alina, not just "the Russians," but Wakaba, Mai... whoever they were showing on the broadcast...and then he decided that most them were prone to it and was happy they were finally being called....and he didn't say every jump, just some of them...

David Pelletier is another story. He is always very negative about skaters... many skaters...all skaters. I hate it when he joins CBC for commentary... so I"ll agree with criticism about his commentary. And he talks way too much... I really dislike listening to him.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Are you writing these ridiculous statements from a parallel universe?

I believe Cherry blossom is only expressing her frustration at the constant anti "input nation here", rants, which seem to dominate GS Threads these days. Going after a nation, their skaters, fans, their audiences, home commentators (including both World and Olympic Champions btw, who are LOVED by their nation), the judges, etc, etc, etc. Let's move beyond the fray and appreciate the differences/qualities that make all of these skaters, so unique, without making it a personal vendetta.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I listen to the commentary of alina vs gabby and was unfair ...

Ted should comment all GP ...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh dear. So funny to read all this over some off the cuff remarks by Kurt. Watching Kurt for years you realize he was making a joke about Alina not doing anything in the first half... he is awed and impressed. It is his kind of humour and as soon as he said it I laughed... but knew people watching it later who haven't listened to him for years would probably be annoyed and offended...Relax people. And over the course of the broadcast he mentioned that many of the female skaters UR... not just Alina, not just "the Russians," but Wakaba, Mai... whoever they were showing on the broadcast...and then he decided that most them were prone to it and was happy they were finally being called....and he didn't say every jump, just some of them...

^^Exactly. Kurt is one of the better commentators. There are far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.