Channel One Cup 2023 | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Channel One Cup 2023

Lurker11

On the Ice
Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying.
But there's also popularity aspect, as I have mentioned above, ticket sales for Tutberidze shows for example, or local competition events like GP stages and GP final, Sasha is a huge attraction, fans are loyal by nature and she won't lose most of them for many years even if she continues this way and they are willing to support her no matter what because according to them she is a revolutionist in women FS, she has character and stubbornness which makes her unique even if it loses her medals, she is not afraid to take risks etc, according to her fans, and in a way all of this is true.
I'm sure Eteri will want Sasha for her shows at the end the season.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I said this yesterday and someone didn't like it, but Sokolovskaya has been a disaster for her skaters. Everyone goes backwards relative to the competition under her. That's not Sasha's problem it's her attitude which won't change now, but under an Eteri there would be some chance of Sasha turning her career around although slim. Under Sokolovskaya it's just total erosion and regression in everything. Fitness, skating, jumps, character. Mark looks like a shell of a man.
It’s not a question of if someone likes it or not, it’s a question of what has been accomplished.

To be truthful, I thought Trusova would have bounced back this year. If you asked me pre season which skater that had ever left Eteri had the best shot at redemption, I would have picked her.

And, I did make the prediction that Sofia would be the dark horse of the season in this very forum. Needless to say, that prediction has been a dud and a half. Ok, maybe just a dud since she started the season pretty well but it’s been downhill after the GP’s.

I am a big proponent of Sofia’s, but you can’t spin it any other way: she regressed this season.

The coach, fairly or unfairly, gets judged on results.

Last edited:

Lurker11

On the Ice
It’s not a question of if someone likes it or not, it’s a question of what has been accomplished.

To be truthful, I thought Trusova would have bounced back this year. If you asked me pre season which skater that had ever left Eteri had the best shot at redemption, I would have picked her.

And, I did make the prediction that Sofia would be the dark horse of the season in this very forum. Needless to say, that prediction has been a dud and a half. Ok, maybe just a dud since she started the season pretty well but it’s been downhill after the GP’s.

I am a big proponent of Sofia’s, but you can’t spin in any other way: she regressed this season.

The coach, fairly or unfairly, gets judged on results.

Standing next to Kamila, Sofia seemed slightly taller and a quite solid build too (Kamila is tall and solid too but Sofia even more so). If she can overcome this growth of the past 12 months (and she did put together a solid free skate) she might be around for a while yet. She will probably stagnate though unless she changes coach, but I'm not sure where she would go. Maybe if Trusova leaves the group everyone's results will improve.

Country
Russia
I watched this competition alive.
It was very nice, exiciting, nervous (mistakes!)

At warm-ups before last female group (both SP anf FS) I've seen very many good female 3A, mush more than I've seen before. Female quads are more familiar for me, female 3A are more rare - so it was very good to see so many clean female 3A. Quads also were there.

Clean SP of Mishina-Galliamov and clean FS of Akatieva were something higher than I can imagine, higher than stars.
All ofher pairs and most of girls are also very talented and nice-to watch.
Of men Gleb Lutfullin was most clean both in SP and FS, very promicing boy.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I spent the weekend at CSKA Arena and I'm glad I decided to make the trip. I thought the atmosphere was more nervous and sad than in previous years. I supported Valieva's team, all my favorite skaters were there. By the way, the fan support for her team was very strong, the fans were united and organized, they handed out posters and chanted shouts from the stands. The fans created the atmosphere of celebration more than anything else.

The most unpleasant impression was the fall of Anastasia Zinina, believe me, it looked very scary on the ice. Because of that and the confusion, the end of the day impression was blurred and everyone left the arena in a slight alarm. It's good that she is recovering.

The nicest thing I came for - the victory, damn it, finally, Mozalev, even with mistakes during the skate FS. He won SP, was third on FS, scored 282.14, ahead of all his opponents, and confirmed that he was out of the strongest warm-up early. And he wowed the fans, as far as the boys were concerned, he and Semenenko got the most encouragement from the stands and toys. Yes, he was fiery in SP and very heartfelt in FS. He was definitely memorable for the audience.

Andrei said in the interview that he didn't care much about his own win, if the team loses, that's so nice. But I think that if he thinks hard after the competition, he'll decide that it's cool to be the first, even if unofficially and at a commercial tournament. I wish him the best of luck at the St. Petersburg championship and the RGP finals later on.

I was not pleased with the men's skating, many of them looked unprepared (inevitably loosened up after the Nats?). There was no one who skated without mistakes. Lutfullin had the cleanest skates of the two days, but the quality of his non-jumping elements is far from ideal, and he preferred the double jumps to the triple jumps, which affects the technical points + he must work on the second evaluation, because even with a clean skate, he gets much less than his rivals from the second warm-up, and even his rivals from the first warm-up, as Kovalev with a clap. Aliev, Ignatov and Samarin, with all due respect, looked like canidates for early retirement (Dima to a lesser extent than the others, but still...). Gumennik and Semenenko this time decided to fight to see who would mess up more elements, alas. They were probably too tired, too.

Very happy for the clean skate FS TM, I was amazed by the beautiful execution of FS Samodelkina, Yametova was hot, the debut of Gushchina was not so bad, Adelia was very fast on ice. I'm glad the skaters and fans had fun and hung out.