Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
we can only praying the skating gods to smile on them :LOL: :pray: and hope they don't get IDF, P/C will definitely be there. i'm sad it took them so long to get the recognition they deserved all this time, they just landed in top 6 at worlds and we're already talking about retirement :frown: also my country future prospects in ID don't look that well. i mean Charlene and Marco were already a well known team when Cappellini/La Notte retired and yet they struggled to climb the standings, think how long it will take our new promising but almost unknown teams to get where Charlene and Marco are now, and they're also not at their same level anyway

pete

On the Ice
It would be amazing if they can make the final again and maybe get another medal at europeans. Unfortunatly politics are not in their favour. I thought they actually deserved to be in front of S/B at worlds 🤷‍♀️

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It's 10 years since Charlène and Marco's debut at Worlds!
For those who want a look back, here's their short dance (Golden Waltz): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Y5KQPFMes
And their free dance (to March With Me): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6CSNOdmB8M

In 2011, they finished in 19th place and in 2021, they finished in 6th. It's been a long journey, and they've improved so much. Here's hoping for even more success next season!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
There's a new interview with Charlène and Marco in the May/June edition of German FS magazine Pirouette.
With my rudimentary German and some help from Google Translate, I've put together the highlights below.
(The article is only available behind a paywall, so I'm not posting the full translation, in case that is not allowed.)
  • Feelings on the past season: it was a very strange season, but they were happy to be able to take part in Worlds and WTT. They feel very lucky that the FISG organised the Gran Premio so that the Italian skaters could compete and stay in shape. It was odd to compete in front of an audience again at WTT, after not having had one all season.
  • Dealing with the ongoing global situation: the unpredictability was difficult, as they began preparing for competitions which were then cancelled. They found it difficult sometimes to find motivation. They got positive feedback on their FD at Worlds/WTT so decided to keep it, which also allows them to focus a bit more on the new RD.
  • Choosing the FD: they had seen the film of Atonement a couple of years ago, and Barbara suggested the music. They wanted to find music which was similar to their Schindler's List program, which is their favourite program.
  • On being a couple on and off ice: they never argue off the ice, and only very occasionally on the ice. They are always there for each other and help to motivate each other. They try to forget about skating when they're at home.
  • In their free time: they like to go for walks in the park and sometimes meet up with friends. The past year has been tricky because they haven't been able to see friends or family very much.
  • The new RD theme: they think it will be interesting to see the big variety of programs that the theme allows for.
Link to May/June edition for the full article: http://pirouette-online.de/nr-5-mai-juni-2021.html

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
we can only praying the skating gods to smile on them :LOL: :pray: and hope they don't get IDF, P/C will definitely be there.

Well, the assignments are out and it appears the skate gods are smiling on Charlène and Marco...

Skate Canada with G/P (with F/G, L/L, S/D, C/P as other possible medalists)
and
Rostelecom Cup with S/K (with FB/S, K/S, H/K, H/B as other possible medalists)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Am visiting this thread at the start of the new season (Oly season hopefully!) to wish good luck to Charlene and Marco! :):cheer:

Their Atonement FD at the Stockholm Worlds were truly the highlights for me, along with Piper/Paul's and Lilah/Lewis'. :love:
I rather am one of those who usually wish every skater will renew 2 programs every season, BUT this program, I would feel really sad if we would see no more. So my wish is they will keep it in the new season. :)

Go, CHarlene and Marco!!! :cheer:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
A new short interview with Charlène and Marco from FISG entitled 'The First/Last Time That You...'
https://www.facebook.com/fisg.it/videos/954007378789930/

Translation (usual warning about incorrect translation on my part, I'm still practicing!)

The First Time That You...
Put on a pair of skates?
M: At 7 and a half years old.
C: At 3 and a half years old.

Performed in front of other people?
M: When I was 8 and a half, at the end of year gala.
C: I was six years old, competing with my brother.

Stood on the podium?
M: When I was 8 and a half, more or less the first inter-club competition.
C: I was 10.

The Last Time That You...
Thought about giving up?
M: In 2015, the year after the Sochi Olympics. We perhaps we had exaggerated our expectations, the results didn't come straight away and we had a bit of a crisis. We fought together and got through it.

Jinxed an opponent?
M: Never. Because isn't good to win because your opponents made a mistake.
C: It's better to win because you performed better.

Made a fool of yourself?
M: Every day!
C: Yes! He always does it.
M: Every day, because I have no filter. If I feel like doing something, I will. Charlène then points out to me: "Look Marco, there are other people!"
[Note: I think he means Charlène notices when people see him making a fool of himself, but he doesn't notice :laugh:]

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Charlène and Marco's new RD from Lombardia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScmN1nBXjU

They're in 1st having scored 82.05 (TES: 45.41, PCS: 36.64). L4 twizzles, 3/4 key points, L3s on the step sequences, best tech of the event (from a quick glance at the protocols) and 5.5ish points ahead of FB/S in second.

Program is a selection of Michael Jackson music which probably wouldn't have been the music I would've chosen for them (or expected them to choose!), but they pulled it off really well. The new lift is very acrobatic, but looked really smooth, and the flip over at the end is a fun touch. Costumes are really cool too. All in all, a great first RD for the season.

Fingers crossed they have an equally excellent (or even better!) free dance. I'm intrigued to see whether they did end up keeping their Atonement FD as they said they most likely would, or if they changed to a new one.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks to their silver medals at Skate Canada and now at Rostelecom Cup, Charlène and Marco officially qualify to second GPF of their career!
Their FD performance was beautiful today, they (and Barbara - and Barbara's trusty stopwatch) looked thrilled with their performance.

Their RD still needs a little bit of tidying up, which may have to wait until the new year as they've now got back-to-back competitions (Italian nationals next weekend, GPF the weekend after). If anyone didn't have a chance to hear, Mark Hanretty had some lovely comments about them in his commentary (especially after the RD), praising their hard work and commitment to their skating and to each other.

In equally exciting news, they also confirmed that they won't be retiring after this season! :love2: