Choreographic simplicity versus complexity | Golden Skate

Choreographic simplicity versus complexity

andromache

Record Breaker
One of the common themes that crops up in discussing and comparing the individual programs of skaters is whether or not there is a lot of choreography versus a little, or whether the choreography is complex versus simple. It's obvious that IJS rewards complex choreography over simple - the Transitions and Choreography components really emphasize it, and even the Skating Skills category wants to see a variety of skating moves used to prove your skills.

This is obviously a pretty good thing. Complex choreography is more difficult to do, more transitions are more difficult to do, so if you're able to do all this complicated stuff while also executing your technical elements, you deserve to be rewarded.

These two performances are great examples from last year's GPF: Hanyu's LP and Evgenia's LP. For those of you who hate Evgenia, I've also included a performance from Gubanova here. All of these programs are pretty packed with choreography and transitions, and pretty effectively do so.

Then we have programs like Ashley Wagner's SP and Adam Rippon's SP, where the performance and interpretation are excellent, but transitions and choreography are simple. Not bad or badly executed, but definitely less difficult and complicated than that performed in the programs above.

But - sometimes programs can appear TOO busy, according to many comments I've seen (and observations I have had). I and other fans frequently wish we might see a pose or move held for longer, like a long spiral, or spread eagle, or anything involving a pretty pose on an edge, really. But skaters and coaches want to have as many transitions/steps/choreographic difficult as possible, so we sometimes lose those kinds of movements. Zagitova's LP is certainly difficult, complicated, and well-performed, but seems too choreographically complex - it doesn't feel natural, or have a particular flow that fits the music naturally. It feels rushed.

Since the institution of IJS, programs have become more and more choreographically complex. Skaters get better, the sport progresses, and athletes become capable of doing more while still getting the technical stuff done. Just compare Shizuka's winning LP in 2006, Yuna's winning LP in 2010, and Evgenia's LP from last year that I linked above. (Note: this is not an invitation to evaluate whether or not you think their choreography or their programs are good or to say that one skater is better than the other; focus on what's happening between elements, the transitions, the choreographic complexity.) IMO, it's clear that, over time, choreographic complexity has increased. But is there a such thing as too much complexity, as in Zagitova's LP above? Will we continue progressing until programs become so jam-packed that all top skaters seem to rush through the movements?

And how about we just take a moment of appreciation for skaters who were able to do so much in a relatively choreographically simple program: Michelle Kwan, Alexei Yagudin, Maria Butyrskaya, Rudy Galindo.

Their programs are so much easier than anything anyone is doing now, but are they less enjoyable? Are there ways their programs are superior to what we see now?

How do we as fans view the difference between choreographic simplicity/complexity and bad/good choreography? Any examples of bad choreography that still ticks all the boxes of being complex and difficult (maybe Elena's Titanic) or simple choreography that is excellent and moving? In a perfect world, what do we want to see, and how do we want judges to evaluate it?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Interesting point, cause i've seen in this forum so many times people complaining too complex choreography "because it makes the skating sloppy".

The ladies FS at JGPF was the most evident example: Gubanova with the "slow" lyrical approach, while Zagitova (as usual for Eteri's students) with a complex choreography.

Honestly? i like both, but i've to say Zagitova's programs with her incredibly difficult steps sequences and impressive transitions between those tricky jumping elements, was so amazing to watch: the twizzles into the illusion, split-2a-spiral-layback all on one foot. :love:

But the thing is: with complex choreography done badly i can still appreciate what the skater is trying to do, while a simple choreography done badly is literally nothing on the ice.

Complex choreography done badly -> some early Anna Pogorilaya's programs like the Firebird free skate (or her programs at juniors)

Simple choreography done badly -> some Mirai Nagasu's programs like the Gatsby program, Liza's Cleopatra FS, most of Max Aaron's programs.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I personally think that the most important quality of choreography is the musical relevance. It is about putting the action and body movements to the music phrases to highlight them out of the backdrop and thus enhance the whole musical experience. That is why the programs from the past are still memorable and enjoyable despite having less transitions. In most of the cases today, the transitions have nothing to do with the choreography or interepreting the music, but rather checking the technical boxes.

The examples you have provided are well-choreographed, the skaters express the musical phrases well and the movements were well placed. And about Zagitova's program, I don't think it is particularly too complex, but rather not ideally constructed by putting all jumps in the second half. Certainly it is a good strategy for getting points, but it is not a well-balanced program. Therefore, she has plenty of time in the first half to express and dance to the music, but she is only chasing for jumps in the second half.

It is unfortunate that the IJS now treasures quantity more rather than quality. Programs packed with transitions and other movements will be regarded as "better-choreographed". Patrick's FS last season is, imo, one of the best choreographed program. Not only does he interpret the music well, his movements are perfectly embroidered to the music. The timing, the precision, the subtlety is THE BEST that night, imo. However, he ended up receiving a lower PCS score than Hanyu, who was absolutely brilliant that day. But, still, in my opinion, I think Patrick has a "deeper" choreography which connected better to the music, albeit using simple movements.

I don't know how I view simplicity or complexity, all I am looking for is a choreography that fits. My examples for simple but moving choreography will definitely be Patrick's FS last season. I can't think of any bad complex choreography because they look like no choreography to me.

rosy14

Final Flight
Sometime it seems they have planned the programme with the layout - tot points here, tot points there, here a spin, there a jump - and then they choose the music. As a matter of fact you see programmes more or less identical to other, and you see a skater in the "skin" of the other. For instance Medvedeva and Zagitova or Huan (the Korean boy) and Hanyu (Hanyu at his age of course).
In fact I preferred Gubanova, even though she arrived second. But she's different, both in her skating and in her programme.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I personally think that the most important quality of choreography is the musical relevance. It is about putting the action and body movements to the music phrases to highlight them out of the backdrop and thus enhance the whole musical experience. That is why the programs from the past are still memorable and enjoyable despite having less transitions. In most of the cases today, the transitions have nothing to do with the choreography or interepreting the music, but rather checking the technical boxes.

The examples you have provided are well-choreographed, the skaters express the musical phrases well and the movements were well placed. And about Zagitova's program, I don't think it is particularly too complex, but rather not ideally constructed by putting all jumps in the second half. Certainly it is a good strategy for getting points, but it is not a well-balanced program. Therefore, she has plenty of time in the first half to express and dance to the music, but she is only chasing for jumps in the second half.

It is unfortunate that the IJS now treasures quantity more rather than quality. Programs packed with transitions and other movements will be regarded as "better-choreographed". Patrick's FS last season is, imo, one of the best choreographed program. Not only does he interpret the music well, his movements are perfectly embroidered to the music. The timing, the precision, the subtlety is THE BEST that night, imo. However, he ended up receiving a lower PCS score than Hanyu, who was absolutely brilliant that day. But, still, in my opinion, I think Patrick has a "deeper" choreography which connected better to the music, albeit using simple movements.

I don't know how I view simplicity or complexity, all I am looking for is a choreography that fits. My examples for simple but moving choreography will definitely be Patrick's FS last season. I can't think of any bad complex choreography because they look like no choreography to me.

Agree. I like programs whose movements have purpose other than checking the boxes.

I think one good example of a ladies program that have the quantity and the quality is Yuna's Adios Nonino. It is a well balanced program with difficult transitions, great jumps (except the landing of 2nd Lutz) and nice spins, not to mention, EXTREMELY MUSICAL. Like everything hits the notes, even the crossovers and transitions. This just means that you can have a busy program but still have deep edges and quality movements that don't look rushed. It all goes down to a skater's ability actually. It's a shame this program wasn't performed to its fullest (and by this I mean, it could've been performed better but the pressure and Yuna's injuries limited her from skating this with abandon).

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Obviously the gold standard is to have a complex program that looks effortless. The level of complexity increases as the sport advances, so Michelle's or Yagudin's programs look a bit empty now, but were totally fine back then. The issue is that we immediately think that adding more "stuff" into a program and complexity makes it more difficult and therefore should be rewarded with more points, but I don't believe that is necessary true: Could Gubanova do Zagitova's program (even without considering the backloading)? I don't know. Could Zagitova do Gubanova's program with that quality? I'm pretty sure she can't. Alina has a lot of incredible qualities and I'm always impressed with her FS second half with 35 jumps + 2 spins in less than 2 minutes, but Anastasiia's SS, upper body movements, attention to details are things that take a lot of effort to develop and train and these qualities deserve as much recognition as Alina's, yet she gets 2.5 points less of PCS. :confused2:

Sport or Art? ;) In so far as figure skating is a sport, the more complex the choreography, the more IJS points the skater deserves. Art? I like a simpler program better. (Just my opinion, of course.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wouldn't say it's one or the other...art can be complex or simple...for me, as nolangoh mentions, it is about relevance, taste, refined quality and variety. It's not because you have a cool move in your repertoire that it fits every program.....
Sport or Art? ;) In so far as figure skating is a sport, the more complex the choreography, the more IJS points the skater deserves. Art? I like a simpler program better. (Just my opinion, of course.)

MIM

Medalist
I want to add to a category of simplicity but having deep musical connection; Voronov's LP this year.

Also, there are really nicely balanced programs that have just right amount of complexity for THE skater to the musical tempo that allows him to execute perfectly. They don't necessarily have the top notch SS. Accompanied with skaters'ability to interprete the music in depth, their performances create special moments; Javi's FP two years in a row, Mura's Sp and Elladj Balde's Sp+LP this year.

I like Javi's sp, but his last STSQ was too complex or fast tempo for him to fully execute at many events.

Last edited:
i wouldn't say it's one or the other...art can be complex or simple...for me, as nolangoh mentions, it is about relevance, taste, refined quality and variety. It's not because you have a cool move in your repertoire that it fits every program.....

Here is my favorite kind of program. This is sport. (Art? Nah, I'll go listen to an oom-pah band if I want that.)

The skater says: "This is how you do a triple loop." "This is how you do a triple Lutz / double toe." "This is how you do a camel spin."

There is some fierce music playing which makes you think that everything she does is beyond cool."Do you love me? Of course you do!" ("Stick it in your ear, Sasha." :laugh: -- No offense to Sasha fans. :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns&t=0m30s

One of my favorite skating quotes came one time when Michelle was giving a lesson to a young skater. "See? It looks like I am doing something amazing. But in reality all I am doing is moving my arms up and down." :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To answer the OP's question, I felt Jason's SP from last season to 1920s-style cover of "Love is Blindness" was an example of WAY too much choreography. Rohene had enough choreography in that program that it could make the ISU want to make parts of it into a new quickstep pattern dance.

If it was an ice dance program, it would be great. But for a full-fledged competition program with spins and jumps, it was too much and in hindsight, all the twisting and turning of his body -- while he was trying to integrate the quad -- likely contributed to his back strain injury.

But now looking at his program this season, this SP really didn't serve him well as far as highlighting his lines and posture, which is one thing he does have on just about all the men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXiN5Y-Snw

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Complex or simple, as far as choreography goes. -I just need to like it. There is no clear pattern to whether I like a program or not.
Balde's very simple Sound of Scilence SP
Yuzu's very complex Prince SP
Both make me happy to watch.
It all depends on whether I can see the music and the choreography and the skater match each other.
As far as point-getting though, it needs to be quantified somehow, so it is. Imperfectly.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Simple choreography executed with pizazz and gusto is the most enjoyable for me but difficult choreography performed well should probably win the day. There is a giant grey area that exists between the two and I think in spite of several people's best efforts to define it....it will always be a judgement call that even trained judges won't agree on. Sloppy but difficult choreography can realistically beat clean simple choreography on some judge's scorecards based on their scale of values. I don't think it's wrong even if my scorecard would reflect a different outcome.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I appreciate both takes on choreography albeit I think some skaters could benefit from doing little less. I do remember that Yuko & Alexander programs from Moskvina were very busy and as amusing as they were they also were too energy draining for them. I also think that complicated choreo takes bit longer to gel (I only started liking Yuzuru SP) at
GPF while I immediately started digging Ashley or Adam short programs in USA.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
This question reminds me of the tension (dare I say "wars"?) between Boitano and Orser fans, and later Boitano vs. Browning fans as pros.

Personally I tend to prefer the more complex programs. But of course a well-performed and/or coherently choreographed simple program is more aesthetically pleasing to me than complexity just for the sake of complexity without quality or purpose.

Also I think it is possible for skaters to include judiciously chosen difficult transitional moves, complex steps, difficult jump entries/exits/air variations, etc., while giving an appearance of simplicity by holding out edges and positions for longer rather than rushing through them.

andromache

Record Breaker
This question reminds me of the tension (dare I say "wars"?) between Boitano and Orser fans, and later Boitano vs. Browning fans as pros.

Personally I tend to prefer the more complex programs. But of course a well-performed and/or coherently choreographed simple program is more aesthetically pleasing to me than complexity just for the sake of complexity without quality or purpose.

Also I think it is possible for skaters to include judiciously chosen difficult transitional moves, complex steps, difficult jump entries/exits/air variations, etc., while giving an appearance of simplicity by holding out edges and positions for longer rather than rushing through them.

Can you expand a little more on the wars between Boitano/Orser and Boitano/Browning fans? It's before my time and I'm a sucker for skating (and skating fan) history. (The archives of this board are a treasure trove.)

As for skaters who do difficult transitions but hold edges rather than rush through them, the only skater who comes to mind who actually does this is Jason Brown. That's not to say that everyone else rushes through all their transitions...but it's very rare that I have a "oooooh you're doing a such a good job holding that edge and looking sexy" from the majority of skaters.

MIM

Medalist
To answer the OP's question, I felt Jason's SP from last season to 1920s-style cover of "Love is Blindness" was an example of WAY too much choreography. Rohene had enough choreography in that program that it could make the ISU want to make parts of it into a new quickstep pattern dance.

If it was an ice dance program, it would be great. But for a full-fledged competition program with spins and jumps, it was too much and in hindsight, all the twisting and turning of his body -- while he was trying to integrate the quad -- likely contributed to his back strain injury.

But now looking at his program this season, this SP really didn't serve him well as far as highlighting his lines and posture, which is one thing he does have on just about all the men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXiN5Y-Snw

This sp shows that he has no problem executing any complex movements. But I think the music does not really pick up the choreography. Rohene is an artist and I sure he did what he felt right to the music. But for a mere fan, Jason's intricate steps don't have enough music to correspond or phrase, hence less purposeful. It was an unfortunate program..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This sp shows that he has no problem executing any complex movements. But I think the music does not really pick up the choreography. Rohene is an artist and I sure he did what he felt right to the music. But for a mere fan, Jason's intricate steps don't have enough music to correspond or phrase, hence less purposeful. It was an unfortunate program..

Yes I agree. I really liked the idea that he was trying to do quickstep , but in hindsight this music wasn't the best vehicle to show those quick moves and made the program look cluttered. As much as I despise Sam Smith, I have to agree this season's music choice syncs much better with his movements.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
Yes I agree. I really liked the idea that he was trying to do quickstep , but in hindsight this music wasn't the best vehicle to show those quick moves and made the program look cluttered. As much as I despise Sam Smith, I have to agree this season's music choice syncs much better with his movements.

Yes, I agree. This year definitely he got the choreography and music(;)) up to his caliber. There are so much to interpret and he still executes them beautifully. I love both of his programs and hope he can perform his best at the nationals!

gkelly

Record Breaker
Can you expand a little more on the wars between Boitano/Orser and Boitano/Browning fans? It's before my time and I'm a sucker for skating (and skating fan) history. (The archives of this board are a treasure trove.)

Just that there seemed to be some groups of fans of each of these skaters who were heavily invested in believing that their skater was the best and therefore whatever he was best at was important and skaters who were best at other things were lacking in the important areas. The group culture seemed to have started in the 1980s with fans who traveled to competitions and communicated by newsletter, but it continued into the Internet age, with some faction members trying to convince more general "skating" fans to side with their priorities.

Of course we see the same dynamic with other rivalries online, on a larger scale.

But this one came down largely to simplicity vs. complexity.

Last edited: