Components from 5 to 3: has the change achieved its objectives? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Components from 5 to 3: has the change achieved its objectives?

Magill

Record Breaker
It's just called an external examiner. They bring someone who doesn't teach in the institution to evaluate the students of said institution. Very common practice.
Actually, not exactly. External examiner is one thing. Making entries anonymous means the examiner does not know whose paper/work they are assessing, regardless of the fact if they actually know these persons or not. The entries are emptied of any personal data and numbered, that's all. Combining external examiners with entries anonymisation makes it kind of a double blind. It is used because "external" does not mean "unbiased" so the procedure makes sure the examiner does not know and have no way to find out whose work they are assessing - but as this is off topic, let's just leave it here :)
In case of FS scoring, the judges are not really external and the entries are obviously not anonymous so the risks of bias is as high as possibly can be, no matter what we personally think of judges integrity. From the point of view of scoring methodology, this system has no built-in anti-bias precautions whatsoever and therefore its credibility is objectively very, very weak.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually, not exactly. External examiner is one thing. Making entries anonymous means the examiner does not know whose paper/work they are assessing, regardless of the fact if they actually know these persons or not. The entries are emptied of any personal data and numbered, that's all. Combining external examiners with entries anonymisation makes it kind of a double blind. It is used because "external" does not mean "unbiased" so the procedure makes sure the examiner does not know and have no way to find out whose work they are assessing - but as this is off topic, let's just leave it here :)
Yes, very off-topic and not sure why you want to argue about how I do my job and how it's called or not ? I evaluate pianists. Of course I see them. They don't wear a mask or play behind a black screen... I have to evaluate their approach at the instrument and technique... so yeah... it will never be "anonymous" in that sense. I thought that was clear... in any case, this is getting a bit too personal for comfort. :)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
In case of FS scoring, the judges are not really external and the entries are obviously not anonymous so the risks of bias is as high as possibly can be, no matter what we personally think of judges integrity. From the point of view of scoring methodology, this system has no built-in anti-bias precautions whatsoever and therefore its credibility is objectively very, very weak.
At the elite levels this is true -- judges know exactly who the top skaters and many of the other competitors are and will have some (but not all the same, or all the same level of) memories of their past results/performances.

At the JGP, for example, every year brings a new crop of 13- and 14-year-olds and other first-year international competitors that most judges will never have heard of and have little idea of what to expect. Knowing what country they're from possibly who their coaches are will set some expectations, but there are always surprises.

This is why I like to mock-judge JGP events for fun each year and recommend that other fans interested in testing their own judging theories/expertise with minimal preconceptions about the skaters give it a try.

The older skaters on the junior circuit may be more known quantities (though how much a judge knows about a given skater will depend a lot on whether they happen to have ever judged that skater in the past).

This will become even more true as skaters remain junior for more years because of the higher age minimums for competing senior.

yesterday

Record Breaker
The result is that the scandal gave Pogorelic much more exposure and success than the actual winner Dang Thai Son. Funny enough, his own student (DTS's) Bruce Liu (a pianist born in France who grew up in Canada) won this year's Chopin competition...

Funny how things are connected sometimes.
I wrote about him a while ago, maybe people from this thread are interested 😅

(that thread did not have many readers and still hasn't)

So he won again?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Funny how things are connected sometimes.
I wrote about him a while ago, maybe people from this thread are interested 😅

(that thread did not have many readers and still hasn't)

So he won again?
nah... i was referring to the 2021 victory, which is the last time it was held, to me it's kind of this year LOL... the event is held every 5 years in normal times... gosh... it's already almost 2 years ago

yesterday

Record Breaker
nah... i was referring to the 2021 victory, which is the last time it was held, to me it's kind of this year LOL... the event is held every 5 years in normal times... gosh... it's already almost 2 years ago
ah right, I got confused but thought the same 😅

Magill

Record Breaker
Yes, very off-topic and not sure why you want to argue about how I do my job and how it's called or not ? I evaluate pianists. Of course I see them. They don't wear a mask or play behind a black screen... I have to evaluate their approach at the instrument and technique... so yeah... it will never be "anonymous" in that sense. I thought that was clear... in any case, this is getting a bit too personal for comfort. :)
Oh, sorry, I thought we were discussing the general scoring methods and the way they try to ensure objectivity and credibility, and not your personal work, that was not my intention. Call it a misunderstanding.