How important is faithfulness to the source of the music? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

How important is faithfulness to the source of the music?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Borodin and Grieg both are skated too...
beautiful music from both.

We see these ones regularly in skating . (Borodin : Prince Igor Polovtsian dances)

For Grieg, I am sure we see a lot of Peer Gynt, perhaps also the piano concerto.. because we know how popular they are.

I've skated a couple of times to Borodin bits, and loved them. I was suggesting someone use a song version from Kismet with lyrics giving a specific story to tell. Maybe too old-fashioned a show, though, except maybe for Stranger in Paradise. I seem to recall trying out a few bits from Peer Gynt but for whatever reason they didn't get me moving on the ice, much though I like the suite in the concert hall. The Grieg was probably the only piano concerto I ever learned and performed, before I sliced the ligaments in my left thumb at 17 and had to give up any idea of a piano career and switch to a voice concentration. I think I'd find it too jarring to hear someone skating to cuts from it when I have the whole thing fixed in muscle memory.

The only singles program I ever did in competition, in whatever came before Pre-Novice in those far-off days, was Fur Elise. I can still remember it started with one stroke out of the starting position into a combination spin. But that was before it became the theme song of ice cream trucks everywhere :rolleye:
Leaving you with the greatest it of them all

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I've skated a couple of times to Borodin bits, and loved them. I was suggesting someone use a song version from Kismet with lyrics giving a specific story to tell. Maybe too old-fashioned a show, though, except maybe for Stranger in Paradise. I seem to recall trying out a few bits from Peer Gynt but for whatever reason they didn't get me moving on the ice, much though I like the suite in the concert hall. The Grieg was probably the only piano concerto I ever learned and performed, before I sliced the ligaments in my left thumb at 17 and had to give up any idea of a piano career and switch to a voice concentration. I think I'd find it too jarring to hear someone skating to cuts from it when I have the whole thing fixed in muscle memory.

The only singles program I ever did in competition, in whatever came before Pre-Novice in those far-off days, was Fur Elise. I can still remember it started with one stroke out of the starting position into a combination spin. But that was before it became the theme song of ice cream trucks everywhere :rolleye:
Arrgh! My whole last paragraph has disappeared! If it turns up anywhere, it was a plea for the identity of whatever you consider to be the greatest hit of all, since my computer won't let me see any clip that doesn't come with an arrow on it to click. But if I know what it is, I can go to YouTube and see the original clip there. Electronic gadgetry and I do not get along.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
homage to MK with Dance of seven veils. ;)
Funniest performance I ever saw on a stage was a dress rehearsal of Damn Yankees, in which the woman playing Lola did a great job stripping (not completely, this was UBC's Musical Society) while singing Whatever Lola Wants. When she finished, the director asked her to repeat it to fix some problem with the student orchestra. So she prowled the stage seductively again, singing her vamp song, and putting all her clothes back on, piece by piece.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Arrgh! My whole last paragraph has disappeared! If it turns up anywhere, it was a plea for the identity of whatever you consider to be the greatest hit of all, since my computer won't let me see any clip that doesn't come with an arrow on it to click. But if I know what it is, I can go to YouTube and see the original clip there. Electronic gadgetry and I do not get along.
it was Morning from Peer Gynt, which is probably Grieg's most famous piece.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You may have a problem with your browser settings. Try opening them and poking around, looking for "play embedded" or "enable embedded" or something like that. You can also try googling your problem. Specify your browser and computer.

The problem with googling is that there are so many different versions of browser/computer that your screens may not look exactly like the ones in the instructions. This seems to be particularly true for APPLE products.

Another possibility: buy yourself a chromebook! Seriously, I bought one when I destroyed the old apple laptop I had brought on a trip, and I have never looked back. They were designed for kids, and are cheap, easy to use, and fairly STANDARD. I can almost always get a good answer to my problems (like "how do I take a photo") easily by googling and clicking the first link presented.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
it was Morning from Peer Gynt, which is probably Grieg's most famous piece.
Agreed. I skated to that. Another one of those pieces where the music tells you where the jumps and the lifts are.

The little kids' numbers in club shows are always the most popular. My sons, before they decided they'd rather do something outdoors and switched to golf and skiing, were in a boys' group number to Hall of the Mountain King, stomping around as little trolls to the delight of the audience. Before the days of parents filming everything, but I can still see it in memory.:love::laugh:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
You may have a problem with your browser settings. Try opening them and poking around, looking for "play embedded" or "enable embedded" or something like that. You can also try googling your problem. Specify your browser and computer.

The problem with googling is that there are so many different versions of browser/computer that your screens may not look exactly like the ones in the instructions. This seems to be particularly true for APPLE products.

Another possibility: buy yourself a chromebook! Seriously, I bought one when I destroyed the old apple laptop I had brought on a trip, and I have never looked back. They were designed for kids, and are cheap, easy to use, and fairly STANDARD. I can almost always get a good answer to my problems (like "how do I take a photo") easily by googling and clicking the first link presented.
I appreciate the advice, but being a person who can explode a lightbulb in a blue pffft! by flipping a wall switch some distance away, I don't do much poking around in computers. (My brother, being a much larger person, blew up larger appliances like TV sets, just using the remote. Something to do with skin chemistry, we were told :scratch2:.) I leave fixing problems to the family teenagers, some of whom will be visiting next week for my birthday party. They don't let me buy my own gadgets, I receive them as gifts and then someone else sets them up for me. They give me Macbooks because I can then take them to the Apple store for "corrections" when family members aren't around. Someone did give me a Chromebook once, but I drowned it a week later knocking an opened water bottle over onto the keyboard, so it never had a chance to really show off.

I'll make a note of "browser settings" and "embed" for one of my young computer gurus to tackle, as he or she will, with enthusiasm. Thanks for the suggestions!:thank:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'll make a note of "browser settings" and "embed" for one of my young computer gurus to tackle, as he or she will, with enthusiasm.
Or just have some examples of your problem ready to show them. It's easier than describing it, and they can use it for both diagnosing the problem and testing any possible solutions.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I appreciate the advice, but being a person who can explode a lightbulb in a blue pffft! by flipping a wall switch some distance away, I don't do much poking around in computers. (My brother, being a much larger person, blew up larger appliances like TV sets, just using the remote. Something to do with skin chemistry, we were told :scratch2:.) I leave fixing problems to the family teenagers, some of whom will be visiting next week for my birthday party. They don't let me buy my own gadgets, I receive them as gifts and then someone else sets them up for me. They give me Macbooks because I can then take them to the Apple store for "corrections" when family members aren't around. Someone did give me a Chromebook once, but I drowned it a week later knocking an opened water bottle over onto the keyboard, so it never had a chance to really show off.

I'll make a note of "browser settings" and "embed" for one of my young computer gurus to tackle, as he or she will, with enthusiasm. Thanks for the suggestions!:thank:
If you ever need tech help, I can always help you out. Especially when the other teenagers aren’t there 🙂

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Whee! Just discovered a solution, thanks to my cat! :yahoo:😻

I was attempting to order big bags of kitty litter and cases of food online and having trouble with Pet Valu's website. Every time I hit Deliver, the screen would go blank and I'd be right back to the beginning of the order process again. Phoned Customer Service. Woman tried various solutions herself, and finally told me to turn on/switch to/whatever Incognito, a something of which I had never heard but found by following her telephone coaching. Whatever Incognito is, it let me place my order.

So while I was there, wherever I was, I followed my usual method which my family wish I wouldn't, bashing every key in sight until something happens, and signed in to GS. Found the clip 4everchan posted as "Grieg's greatest hit". Now there was a Play icon! So I did. :jump:

yesterday

Record Breaker
but it IS creepy music... movie or not... i just youtubed it out of curiosity... it put me in a really weird state... i wouldn't listen to that for fun... obsessive, repetitive patterns creep the heck out of me. ;) with the added percussive highlights, like someone is stabbing you..

btw.. i have NEVER seen the movie you are mentioning. I don't like horror movies because either they creep me OR either they are so out there that i end up laughing non-stop at how ridiculous they are...

but yeah.. i wish i had never heard Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Mea culpa... never youtube things from @TallyT again LOL

I had to do that too. I had it playing in the background while reading on in this thread.
At around 2:30 it nearly bored me enough to close the tab. But I didn't. It got a bit more interesting after 4:00. Four more minutes and it's nearly a melody :LOL:
but I'm not curious to let it play for 48 mins, so closing it now

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Another example I just thought of, I was one time listening to music on headphones and someone asked about it, I let them have the headphones for a minute and they said something about "why do you like creepy music???" I sort of boggled... It was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. The difference apparently being that they had seen The Exorcist and I hadn't.
Never saw The Exorcist, and don't plan to listen to the music after reading the comments. But the composer's name sounded familiar, and after some Googling I discovered I'd once skated to about a minute or less of his filmscore music. One of our last club show performances, when we were past doing anything really athletic so we quickly put together a nice slow program to a mix of Kitaro's Oasis and Caravansary. But we needed something a bit more dramatic for our best lift-straight-down-to-death-spiral at the end, and our coach dug up this little unfamiliar (to us) passage that was just right. She said vaguely it was "from a film, The Killing Fields". We knew nothing about the movie except that it was Asian in setting (you'd think the title would have given *something* away), and the last minute or so of this was perfect for our purpose. If we'd known more about the film, I doubt if we'd have used it :slink:!

OK, I had a link there, but it came out "not available anymore". Sorry about that. I'll play through some of the other clips and see if that section has a title.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Never saw The Exorcist, and don't plan to listen to the music after reading the comments. But the composer's name sounded familiar, and after some Googling I discovered I'd once skated to about a minute or less of his filmscore music. One of our last club show performances, when we were past doing anything really athletic so we quickly put together a nice slow program to a mix of Kitaro's Oasis and Caravansary. But we needed something a bit more dramatic for our best lift-straight-down-to-death-spiral at the end, and our coach dug up this little unfamiliar (to us) passage that was just right. She said vaguely it was "from a film, The Killing Fields". We knew nothing about the movie except that it was Asian in setting (you'd think the title would have given *something* away), and the last minute or so of this was perfect for our purpose. If we'd known more about the film, I doubt if we'd have used it :slink:!

OK, I had a link there, but it came out "not available anymore". Sorry about that. I'll play through some of the other clips and see if that section has a title.
Found it. (Too many years as a librarian, you get obsessed with finding that elusive fact.)

The Boy's Burial -- last 45 seconds to a minute -- https://youtu.be/DwxHDOnxk2E

and if that doesn't work, I'll retire.