NO stock of Coronation Ace until probably September. Should the skater buy the LIGHT version? | Golden Skate

NO stock of Coronation Ace until probably September. Should the skater buy the LIGHT version?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hello!

Long story short, there's a lady at my rink who started skating a few months ago. We're not under the same coach or even the same Sunday group practice, but she comes often to practice and we talk often.
Currently she has the Edea Rotation blades, she's progressing and her coach wants her trying more speed, but she's so slow, then the coach apparently (I'm not in her lesson, so this is hearsay) examined the blades and told her she can't get more speed on these blades because they're very, very slow, and told her to go to Ice Space (the skate shop/fitter we use) and get some Coronation Aces. However it seems our Ice SPace shop is completely out of stock for Coronation Ace blades at the moment, only left a few kid sizes and longer sizes, while the sizes with more demand are all gone and they say so many skaters have ordered them but they don't except anything before September, HOWEVER, they do have ONE Coronation Ace LIGHT blade pair on her particular size.

I know all of this because today when we were getting ready to leave she came to me and asked if I knew of other shop besides Ice Space that she can go (not locally, bad luck, the only one shop besides the one everyone goes... is another branch of Ice Space more far away). She mentioned the fact they have one pair left of the lights in her size, and I told her, don't ask me, ask Kyoko sensei what she says, and apparently it's OK to get the lights instead of waiting so long, long time. Another choice is getting the pricier and more high level Gold Seal or Pattern 99, which they also have, in both regular and revolution versions. They're only out of regular Coronation Ace blades.

I told my buddy I'd ask at an online forum I belong to, full of very knowledgeable, experienced skaters.

Given this scenario, what would YOU do?
-Wait a long long LONG time until the blades come but waste time not progressing as you could because you have turtle blades that not move?
-Hurry up and buy that last pair of Coronation Ace Light blades before someone else buys them
-Open the wallet and buy the pricier, more high level blades but no light that are available (skater is talented, but I'm no coach, not sure if it's a good idea)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
NO. Have them order them from a shop that has them online; there are places in Europe that have them.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
NO. Have them order them from a shop that has them online; there are places in Europe that have them.
It's not the Jackson blades coach, he's apparently resourceful globally and can mount/sharpen blades as well 😅 The other senseis send everyone to Ice Space to get fitted & mounted in person there (mine too, with the exception that mine can sharpen blades as well, for their skaters)
Thank you for your vote @Ic3Rabbit ... that's probably what I would do, if I'm sold on THAT product and can't get it locally, I'd find someone to mount them for me. But my buddy was given these options, so I guess it'll be any of those 3 :(

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's not the Jackson blades coach, he's apparently resourceful globally and can mount/sharpen blades as well 😅 The other senseis send everyone to Ice Space to get fitted & mounted in person there (mine too, with the exception that mine can sharpen blades as well, for their skaters)
Thank you for your vote @Ic3Rabbit ... that's probably what I would do, if I'm sold on THAT product and can't get it locally, I'd find someone to mount them for me. But my buddy was given these options, so I guess it'll be any of those 3 :(
If the skater knows the correct size and buys the blades herself online, will the local shop still mount and sharpen them (for a fee, of course)? The shops in the US that I've dealt with will do that.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You can occasionally get really lucky looking for blades on sites like eBay! I wouldn’t ever recommend buying used blades, but skate shops will sometimes sell new blades through eBay if the shop is shutting down, or if they have “new old stock” (brand new, in-box items that have been discontinued, or are otherwise too old to sell brand new).

I got my MK Pros brand-new from a skate shop in Chicago that was selling them on eBay because they were K-Pick blades (they have two smaller picks welded onto either side of the main pick supposedly to “increase stability on toe jumps;” most agree they don’t make any difference whatsoever, and they were discontinued years ago). I only paid $75 + shipping for them, and they showed up in perfect condition - the box was opened but the blades still had the protective adhesive stuff on the edges!

This is probably much less likely to work out for your friend than ordering new blades at full price - again, I got extremely lucky - but never hurts to take a look!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Either what Ic3Rabbit says, or consider MK Pro maybe?
Just looked at their website, out of curiosity and they only have ONE pair of MK professional size 9-3/4. Yikes! Is blades stock low?
I'm glad I don't need new blades!
Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 20.47.35.png

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
If the skater knows the correct size and buys the blades herself online, will the local shop still mount and sharpen them (for a fee, of course)? The shops in the US that I've dealt with will do that.
Very good question.
I know they will sharpen blades and service/heat mold/punch boots for a price (they have the price menu very visible in the shop). If you buy your boots there, you can bring them for modifications anytime for free, AND if you buy the boots and blades at the same time there, they give you good deal/discount and mount them for you. If you buy the blades and boots there but at a different time (not in the same visit), they will mount them for you for a price, however I do not think they mount any blades that were not purchased there.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
You can occasionally get really lucky looking for blades on sites like eBay! I wouldn’t ever recommend buying used blades, but skate shops will sometimes sell new blades through eBay if the shop is shutting down, or if they have “new old stock” (brand new, in-box items that have been discontinued, or are otherwise too old to sell brand new).

I got my MK Pros brand-new from a skate shop in Chicago that was selling them on eBay because they were K-Pick blades (they have two smaller picks welded onto either side of the main pick supposedly to “increase stability on toe jumps;” most agree they don’t make any difference whatsoever, and they were discontinued years ago). I only paid $75 + shipping for them, and they showed up in perfect condition - the box was opened but the blades still had the protective adhesive stuff on the edges!

This is probably much less likely to work out for your friend than ordering new blades at full price - again, I got extremely lucky - but never hurts to take a look!
I have a pair of Coronation Ace that is not horrible,still usable, I bought new boots in March and decided to buy new blades at the same time and have them mounted right there. I would absolutely give them to my buddy to use until she can have her own, but mine are big for her :(
She doesn't speak English, but I'll text her and suggest she looks for second hand, slightly used or even new blades on the JP ebay!
Thank you for your suggestion!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a pair of Coronation Ace that is not horrible,still usable, I bought new boots in March and decided to buy new blades at the same time and have them mounted right there. I would absolutely give them to my buddy to use until she can have her own, but mine are big for her :(
She doesn't speak English, but I'll text her and suggest she looks for second hand, slightly used or even new blades on the JP ebay!
Thank you for your suggestion!
<<Emphasis added>> New, yes. Second hand or slightly used, no. But what does it matter whether she buys them from JP eBay or a commercial online vendor with regard to whether the local shop will mount them or not?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
<<Emphasis added>> New, yes. Second hand or slightly used, no. But what does it matter whether she buys them from JP eBay or a commercial online vendor with regard to whether the local shop will mount them or not?
I had replied to you for this above, sorry!!

"
Very good question.
I know they will sharpen blades and service/heat mold/punch boots for a price (they have the price menu very visible in the shop). If you buy your boots there, you can bring them for modifications anytime for free, AND if you buy the boots and blades at the same time there, they give you good deal/discount and mount them for you. If you buy the blades and boots there but at a different time (not in the same visit), they will mount them for you for a price, however I do not think they mount any blades that were not purchased there."

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had replied to you for this above, sorry!!

"
Very good question.
I know they will sharpen blades and service/heat mold/punch boots for a price (they have the price menu very visible in the shop). If you buy your boots there, you can bring them for modifications anytime for free, AND if you buy the boots and blades at the same time there, they give you good deal/discount and mount them for you. If you buy the blades and boots there but at a different time (not in the same visit), they will mount them for you for a price, however I do not think they mount any blades that were not purchased there."
I saw your reply. What I don't understand is this: You're fairly sure (but your friend should check) that if she buys the blades from a commercial online vendor, the local shop won't mount them. If that is indeed true (again check), why would you then recommend that your friend search for blades on eBay? She'll still have the same problem getting them mounted, won't she?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I saw your reply. What I don't understand is this: You're fairly sure (but your friend should check) that if she buys the blades from a commercial online vendor, the local shop won't mount them. If that is indeed true (again check), why would you then recommend that your friend search for blades on eBay? She'll still have the same problem getting them mounted, won't she?
Will have to ask around. I have good relations with some people from another rink in another prefecture next to Tokyo. That's where I'd go to ask the favor to mount my blades if I needed new blades right now and imported them, bought them from somewhere else.
If she decides to not buy whatever option available at Ice Space and willing to either try ebay or import from Europe, I'd ask to those people if they help her. Only way I can think of being helpful.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm a little lost at what you are saying and think you may have misunderstood me.

Have your friend buy the blades from a dealer/shop in Europe @emilinkaa IIRC may be able to give you the name of that dealer. Then once purchased and received, someone could mount them in Japan.

Is this an option or no? I want to understand.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I'm a little lost at what you are saying and think you may have misunderstood me.

Have your friend buy the blades from a dealer/shop in Europe @emilinkaa IIRC may be able to give you the name of that dealer. Then once purchased and received, someone could mount them in Japan.

Is this an option or no? I want to understand.
I apologize. What I was trying to say is, you have 2 options
-Buy from Ice Space, they will mount the blades for you
-Buy somewhere else if you have a person (most likely your coach) who has the skills to mount this blade for you.

My buddy's coach doesn't mount blades. She just started this year and doesn't know anyone besides people in our rink.
I know people in other rinks, including one in another state next to Tokyo (where the custom insole doctor I went to skates) and people there who mount blades and do sharpenings as well, I've competed there and have gone to practice too. Not a shop, just people who have trained for these skills (like a few coaches in my rink). I offered to talk to them, explain the situation and ask if they would be so kind so help.
Coaches are only allowed to deal with their own skaters (and their equipment, if they're skilled to do so), that's why can't just ask another coach at our rink, but if it's other rink ,this rule doesn't apply.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
-Buy somewhere else if you have a person (most likely your coach) who has the skills to mount this blade for you.

My buddy's coach doesn't mount blades. She just started this year and doesn't know anyone besides people in our rink.
I know people in other rinks, including one in another state next to Tokyo (where the custom insole doctor I went to skates) and people there who mount blades and do sharpenings as well, I've competed there and have gone to practice too. Not a shop, just people who have trained for these skills (like a few coaches in my rink). I offered to talk to them, explain the situation and ask if they would be so kind so help.
Coaches are only allowed to deal with their own skaters (and their equipment, if they're skilled to do so), that's why can't just ask another coach at our rink, but if it's other rink ,this rule doesn't apply.
What does this have to do with ordering the blades they need from Europe dealer?!?! It's just buying the blades, having them shipped to friend in Japan and then whomever you wish in Japan can mount them for skater.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
What does this have to do with ordering the blades they need from Europe dealer?!?! It's just buying the blades, having them shipped to friend in Japan and then whomever you wish in Japan can mount them for skater.
I was just trying to explain with more details because in the other post you said you were a little lost at what I was saying.
My apologies again, I’m not the best at explaining and maybe I made you angry :(

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Goodness me, this is all very convoluted and political. Coaches here in the UK who can sharpen and mount blades will do so for any skater who needs it. If you buy boots and blades from the same place, they will mount them for free but usually charge if one part of the combo came from elsewhere. That's perfectly fair; they have to make a living.

In answer to your question above as to whether your friend should pick the Coronation Ace Lite or opt for traditional Pattern 99 or Gold Seal instead, because she can't or won't go elsewhere to source the blades, it's a difficult thing to comment on because we don't know your friend's skating level and style, but if she only started skating a few months ago, then I'm going to say to pick the Lites. Despite their obvious drawbacks, I think that the difference between the sluggish Edea Rotations and the high level speed and features of the P99s are likely to put her off skating for life! And she may also struggle with the Gold Seals.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Goodness me, this is all very convoluted and political. Coaches here in the UK who can sharpen and mount blades will do so for any skater who needs it. If you buy boots and blades from the same place, they will mount them for free but usually charge if one part of the combo came from elsewhere. That's perfectly fair; they have to make a living.

In answer to your question above as to whether your friend should pick the Coronation Ace Lite or opt for traditional Pattern 99 or Gold Seal instead, because she can't or won't go elsewhere to source the blades, it's a difficult thing to comment on because we don't know your friend's skating level and style, but if she only started skating a few months ago, then I'm going to say to pick the Lites. Despite their obvious drawbacks, I think that the difference between the sluggish Edea Rotations and the high level speed and features of the P99s are likely to put her off skating for life! And she may also struggle with the Gold Seals.
Yes. I suppose each location/country/rink/club has their own politics & rules.

And today I saw/talked to my buddy at the rink after her lesson and she ended up going by what her coach mainly recommended, go to Ice Space and buy Coronation Ace blades. If they don't have the standard one, buy the light version, it's OK. They still had that pair in her size and she bought them. She mentioned the lesson went much better, she likes the blades and feels much less tense doing more speed and those Edea Rotation blades were hard to maneuver (I never skated in those blades, have no idea how bad/good they are)and so slow.
Problem successfully solved!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yes. I suppose each location/country/rink/club has their own politics & rules.

And today I saw/talked to my buddy at the rink after her lesson and she ended up going by what her coach mainly recommended, go to Ice Space and buy Coronation Ace blades. If they don't have the standard one, buy the light version, it's OK. They still had that pair in her size and she bought them. She mentioned the lesson went much better, she likes the blades and feels much less tense doing more speed and those Edea Rotation blades were hard to maneuver (I never skated in those blades, have no idea how bad/good they are)and so slow.
Problem successfully solved!
Edea rotation blades are terrible in my experience, but I have coached beginners who have been able to skate really fast on them as well (not even scratching). They struggled with spins (that improved after adjusting to CA).
I wouldn't recommend peopleusing Edea Rotation, but with very refined technique you can get them to work (I still wouldn't put a skater in them, even at a beginner level Coronation Ace for me is the much better choice).