Regular vs lighter verison blades | Golden Skate

Regular vs lighter verison blades

ellaxiong10

Spectator
I've been researching on the pros and cons on buying regular blades vs the lite/revolution. I'm a parent to a 9 almost 10 y.o. skater. She is very petite and weighs 45 pounds. She is currently skating in Edea Overture with Coronation Ace blades. She's been skating for almost two years but only recently started skating seriously two months ago. She can do all the single jumps but the lutz (taught but not able to execute it properly)and axel. Her coach has plans to teach her the axel after the competition this weekend.

My dilemma is that I keep on going back and forth with which blades to buy for her next. Her coach said that it's fine to stick with Coronation Ace for now. I don't mind buying another pair of regular Coronation Ace for her BUT the helicopter mom in me is making a fuss. 'My baby is only 45 pounds. Less weight will help her scrunny leg/ankle.' 'That kid skates with the Gold Seal/Star Revolution.' 'It's not much more to get the Coronation Ace Lite and it's lighter.' 'She might be able to execute higher jumps with lighter blades.' I don't want to hinder her ability to execute any jumps or spins because I forced her to wear lighter blades to ease the helicopter mom in me. Convince the helicopter part of me on why I should stick with the regular blades. Or convince me that helicopter mom is right and I should buy the lighter blades.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I've been researching on the pros and cons on buying regular blades vs the lite/revolution. I'm a parent to a 9 almost 10 y.o. skater. She is very petite and weighs 45 pounds. She is currently skating in Edea Overture with Coronation Ace blades. She's been skating for almost two years but only recently started skating seriously two months ago. She can do all the single jumps but the lutz (taught but not able to execute it properly)and axel. Her coach has plans to teach her the axel after the competition this weekend.

My dilemma is that I keep on going back and forth with which blades to buy for her next. Her coach said that it's fine to stick with Coronation Ace for now. I don't mind buying another pair of regular Coronation Ace for her BUT the helicopter mom in me is making a fuss. 'My baby is only 45 pounds. Less weight will help her scrunny leg/ankle.' 'That kid skates with the Gold Seal/Star Revolution.' 'It's not much more to get the Coronation Ace Lite and it's lighter.' 'She might be able to execute higher jumps with lighter blades.' I don't want to hinder her ability to execute any jumps or spins because I forced her to wear lighter blades to ease the helicopter mom in me. Convince the helicopter part of me on why I should stick with the regular blades. Or convince me that helicopter mom is right and I should buy the lighter blades.
Let's look at advantages/disadvantages

Jumps: weight of blade will make no difference with proper technique. Sometimes lighter blades can lead to lazier inefficient technique. That being said, it's not really an advantage or disadvantage.

Spins: different design can make catch-foot spins harder. Maybe itll make it easier to hold leg over camel height. On the flip side less msucle development from it being easier.Overall no difference in spinning.

Steps/edges: actually in all seriousness heavier blades could grip better. Although, I'm going to say no difference.

Durablity: the standard blades generally SEEM to last more sharpens. I cannot confirm this though, this is personal experience with many factors.

Overall, not worth it (for her level). Won't improve things, might disadvantage in some situations. There is a place for lighter blades at the very top level (even if not necessary), but for me the Coronation Ace Lite shouldn't really exist as a blade. Go with the traditional model

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Stay with traditional Coronation Ace's. The lites will be of no advantage to her and learning to jump with the standard (albeit a tad bit heavier) blade will help her in the long run and also help with edge quality.
Revs/Lites are not great for catch foot spinning.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
As a lifelong dancer and skater who was often on the small side, the best thing for her scrawny ankles is to strengthen them, not buy different blades. Strong ankles will help prevent injuries too, something I didn't figure out til I had to go to physical therapy for an ankle injury!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
1) it won't give her an advantage at her single jump level.

2) Lites/revs are harder to handle during catch foot spins and I would not want a skater just learning those to be learning on these types of blades. She'll cut her hands more often.

3) Ditto that you want her to get used to skating all skills with heavier blades so that maybe, in the future, if she progresses to triples, Revs can actually give her an advantage.

4). Something about the design causes some (a lot?) of techs to have problems sharpening them, probably because they are thinner. You'd need to make sure your tech has experience with the lites and had the jig for it. Additionally, I've seen several anectdotes from skaters here who have lites that they often don't seem to handle the same way the standards do (spin rocker in a different place?)

5) They cost more than standards. Paying for more expensive equipment, if beyond your daughter's skill level, will not make her a better skater.

Jane17

Rinkside
What the others said above. Traditionals are the right choice right now.
Hi, I am new here. I would like to buy traditional Coronation ace, but the seller here recommended "lite" version. I didn´t hear good reviews about them and I don´t even like how they look. I told her I want the traditional one. I hope this is a good decision.
I am intermediate beginner, I hope that traditional version is better for me. Now I have Aspire XP, but I want to change them. Can someone assure me that I am choosing correctly ? Thank you

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi, I am new here. I would like to buy traditional Coronation ace, but the seller here recommended "lite" version. I didn´t hear good reviews about them and I don´t even like how they look. I told her I want the traditional one. I hope this is a good decision.
I am intermediate beginner, I hope that traditional version is better for me. Now I have Aspire XP, but I want to change them. Can someone assure me that I am choosing correctly ? Thank you
You’ll be fine with the regular version! The comments on this thread very well sum up the issues many people have had with the Lites - edges feel different, catch-foot moves are more difficult, the blades are more expensive, and the weight doesn’t make a very big difference for most skaters.

Jane17

Rinkside
You’ll be fine with the regular version! The comments on this thread very well sum up the issues many people have had with the Lites - edges feel different, catch-foot moves are more difficult, the blades are more expensive, and the weight doesn’t make a very big difference for most skaters.
Thank you !

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have traditional CA and am really pleased with them. I’ve never skated with Lite blades though.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes. Traditional are a far better choice. Maybe your seller has a vested interest in selling you the "lite" version because they have them in stock or make a bigger profit? Regular Coronation Ace are the right blade.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thank you. I´ll wait for them. I hope they will be available before 20 weeks.
If you know your size, you could post a new thread with your location and blade size, someone might know a reputable shop that has stock and could send them to you. Then your shop can mount them. It’s a bit more expensive that way, but it’s better than waiting months and months!