Costume Changes/Gimmicks/Props | Golden Skate

Costume Changes/Gimmicks/Props

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Anna’s epic Firebird dress reveal…. Kavaguti putting her heart on display…what are your favourite examples of mid-program costume changes or other gimmicks/props/reveals that have been used in programs?

I know in exhibitions they are very common and would love to see cool examples of those but I’m especially interested in who actually integrated them into their competitive programs.

Eg I recall an ice dance team had a strap on their costume that they used in lifts and stuff in an actual competitive program? l can’t remember who but it was actually quite effective though I kept wondering if it was violating the rules?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I believe Anjelica Krylova and Oleg Osyannikov did something in their Carmen FD in the 1997/98 season - she pulls a red scarf out of his costume at the ending pose. So, it was integrated into the programme but not actually used during the Dance itself. . This is the version at World's 1998.

This example was quite a different one than the one the OP refers to with regard to the strap for lifts. I can't remember who they were. And that was violating the rules!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the duschesnays had a hat prop... and they dropped it... but i don't remember much more than that.. i know you are talking about costumes and props.. but i find gimmicks in moves as well... for instance, the hydroblade... it's not because a skater can do it nicely that he/she should do it in every LP.... (not going to name anyone :) it even includes some of my faves LOL)

lappo

Final Flight
Alina Zagitova Black Swan costume in 2018 had sequins that were turned to give the dress the black shade, just before the ending pose... way more subtle that Anna Firebird but very effective. Another subtle one is Trusova Peer Gynt dress (from white to black again). Also, Kana Muramoto had a green dress who turned pink in her 2018 LP, to symbolize the blooming of the flower. Also, I'm trying to remember a ladies figure skater in the old system who had a program about a theft and who showed the stolen bracelet, but i cannot.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
There was one time when Phillippe Candeloro did his sword fighting footwork in his D'Artagnan program with a sword. I just don't remember when he did it, nor have I ever been able to find the video of it.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova Black Swan costume in 2018 had sequins that were turned to give the dress the black shade, just before the ending pose... way more subtle that Anna Firebird but very effective. Another subtle one is Trusova Peer Gynt dress (from white to black again). Also, Kana Muramoto had a green dress who turned pink in her 2018 LP, to symbolize the blooming of the flower. Also, I'm trying to remember a ladies figure skater in the old system who had a program about a theft and who showed the stolen bracelet, but i cannot.
That was Vanessa Gusmeroli two minutes in but fun to watch it all :clap:

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There was one time when Phillippe Candeloro did his sword fighting footwork in his D'Artagnan program with a sword. I just don't remember when he did it, nor have I ever been able to find the video of it.
In the competitive programme or in his exhibition of the same programme? I've never seen it (I wish I had!). I did see Ilia Kulik with a (slightly) curved sword in his exhibition after his Olympic win.

Last edited:

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
In the competitive programme or in his exhibition of the same programme? I've never seen it (I wish I had!). I did see Ilia Kulik with a curved sword in his exhibition after his Olympic win.

It was either an exhibition, or it was during a professional competition where they allowed props.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
the duschesnays had a hat prop... and they dropped it... but i don't remember much more than that.. i know you are talking about costumes and props.. but i find gimmicks in moves as well... for instance, the hydroblade... it's not because a skater can do it nicely that he/she should do it in every LP.... (not going to name anyone :) it even includes some of my faves LOL)
Just out of curiosity , would you consider Junhwan's Ina Bauer a gimmick? He does it in every FS ...

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Volosozhar/Trankov had a little feature in their 2013/14 SP where Volosozhar handed over one of her bracelets to Trankov for the ending pose - and I vaguely remember some commentator mentioning it as a Russian custom in balls or something (knowledgeable people, please confirm or refute). Such small feature (very easy to miss, actually) but very well integrated into a great program.

On another note, I've always liked how Virtue used her skirt to music cues in their Farrucas OD in 2009/10.

Also, the famous coat/cape/whatevs of Torvill.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
The way Laurence FB and Nikolaj Sorensen used the skirt in their Doors free dance. I hate long skirts because I think they are often used in order to hide things, but these two really used it to present the program in the best possible way. Also, the skirt made it much more difficult for them to skate and it was still superb. Loved it.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I cannot for the life of me remember which season this was and I don't have time to look right now - but there was one season when the ISU let ice dancers use props in their program and I remember Weaver/Poje using a fan

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I cannot for the life of me remember which season this was and I don't have time to look right now - but there was one season when the ISU let ice dancers use props in their program and I remember Weaver/Poje using a fan
I remember that one! The props season was a very short-lived experiment :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just out of curiosity , would you consider Junhwan's Ina Bauer a gimmick? He does it in every FS ...

I would consider a gimmick in this case to be a physical costume/prop that’s meant to perk the interest and maybe even add to the interpretation. Not an actual action like an ina Bauer or something cheesy like Plushenko’s hip thrusts or Sotnikova waving to the judges.