Costume Changes/Gimmicks/Props | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Costume Changes/Gimmicks/Props

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Anna’s epic Firebird dress reveal…. Kavaguti putting her heart on display…what are your favourite examples of mid-program costume changes or other gimmicks/props/reveals that have been used in programs?

I know in exhibitions they are very common and would love to see cool examples of those but I’m especially interested in who actually integrated them into their competitive programs.

Eg I recall an ice dance team had a strap on their costume that they used in lifts and stuff in an actual competitive program? l can’t remember who but it was actually quite effective though I kept wondering if it was violating the rules?
Semanick and Gregory used suspenders in exhibition... not sure if they also used it in competition at some point. This one was the only one I could find from the 87 Worlds exhibition - so fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJrzKsAv4cY

My favorite Kristi Yamaguchi with a prop program is her exhibition to O Mio Babino Caro w/a scarf. Here's her 1991 Worlds exhibition performance (my favorite version of this program was 1991 Skate America exhibition which I have on tape, but can't find on youtube):

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm never going to forget Irina Slutskaya's Exhibition programme wearing a hat and with a rope/lasso in the 2001/2002 season. It's an exhibition, I know. Still worthwhile to watch.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we're getting a little far afield from costumes, but I love me some good chair- and hat-ography in exhibitions.

Elladj Baldé and the best MJ ever combines both:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't consider this "gimmicky," but I fondly remember Delobel & Schoenfelder's Carnival program when they used their gloves so effectively as masks (Skate America 2005 in Atlantic City, NJ & during that 2005-2006 season). Does anyone else remember that program?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
There was one time when Phillippe Candeloro did his sword fighting footwork in his D'Artagnan program with a sword. I just don't remember when he did it, nor have I ever been able to find the video of it.
I found it! Or, at least one of the times he did it.