Daisuke Takahashi to compete in Ice Dance from 2020 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to compete in Ice Dance from 2020

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Whoa... who called this in the Crazy Predictions thread?

Good for him for wanting to continue competitive skating. His skating skills and level of expression are perfect for ice dancing (not many singles skaters are cut out for transitioning to ice dance). I’m fascinated to see how Dai will make the transition to singles expression to expression as part of a pair. IMO, there aren’t a ton of skating couples where the male brings a greater level of artistry (Cizeron and Radford are two exceptions that come to mind) but this pairing has the potential for that. And of course this will definitely stimulate interest in ice dance in Japan. And who knows, this might mean we get to see Dai at another Olympics! All the best to them!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Dai will bring itnerest to ice dancing for sure in Japan. He is a good skater but ice dancing is different besides having a partner. To learn the techniques though for those elements = spin, lifts and synchronized twizzels yikes. It is a lot to ask. Then there is the lack of size differences not impossible but without lots of training for tencique he probably is not as strong as experienced ice dancers. This could be interesting and a bit of a let down too?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Every second I get of Daisuke competing is a gift, in my book. Whatever the discipline.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I.Can't.Wait.

But will he be able to share the limelight?:drama:

I would watch him in any discipline!

Edited to add that I posted this before reading all the posts and just mirrored what Mai said! :biggrin:

Whatever the discipline.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well Dai will bring itnerest to ice dancing for sure in Japan. He is a good skater but ice dancing is different besides having a partner. To learn the techniques though for those elements = spin, lifts and synchronized twizzels yikes. It is a lot to ask. Then there is the lack of size differences not impossible but without lots of training for tencique he probably is not as strong as experienced ice dancers. This could be interesting and a bit of a let down too?
Shingo Nishiyama has done quite well in ice dance after about eight months, so there's some recent precedent for Japanese transitions going well.

I don't get why he's planning to do another domestic season in singles, though. If the future is dance, every minute of training should be dedicated to that.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Say what?!

Ice dance is a gift that keeps on giving, isn't it.

Whatever his results, this might be the best thing to happen to Japanese ice dance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is it with Japan and men’s single skaters doing dance?

First the Japanese Fed pretty much encourages, sets up and matchmakes Shingo Nishiyama into ice dance, and now Dai?

I will always love Utashin, but this could be interesting :popcorn:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
My first thought was to wonder if Japan celebrates the equivalent of April Fools Day and if so, whether today is that day.

My second thought was that if this is legit, it merely reinforces my belief that Daisuke is simply the coolest skater ever. :)

Really—who does this?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Since Muramoto/Reed had ended their partnership after the 2018-19 season, Kana Muramoto was looking for a new partner. Kana got on well with Daisuke when they skated together as a makeshift pair for an ice show, which convinced him to switch to ice dance. Daisuke attended dance classes in New York when he took a year off and he is passionate about dancing.

https://twitter.com/AkiAqui/status/1177140065580929026

champagnerain

Final Flight
Since Muramoto/Reed had ended their partnership after the 2018-19 season, Kana Muramoto was looking for a new partner. Kana got on well with Daisuke when they skated together as a makeshift pair for an ice show, which convinced him to switch to ice dance. Daisuke attended dance classes in New York when he took a year off and he is passionate about dancing.

I don't use Twitter at all, so thanks for sharing for the social media avoidant people like me!

Daisuke musing about the difference between his singles boots and his dance boots and then yelling about how scary it is to step onto the ice in dance boots is my new favorite thing today. :laugh2:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
OMG :love::eeking:

I'm another fan who fantasized about Dai switching to ice dance, but thought he was too old. I am amazed and delighted. I'm not sure if they can make it to Beijing, but why not try? Re Kana and Chris, I always assumed they split up because Kana wanted to go to Beijing and Chris didn't want to make the commitment because of his age and previous injuries.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I don't get why he's planning to do another domestic season in singles, though. If the future is dance, every minute of training should be dedicated to that.

I think he may want to say bye to the audience in singles and maybe enjoy the highly competitive atmosphere for the last time? I cannot imagine dance and pairs at Nats being this nerve-wrecking due to the size of the field.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Late to the party and I would be remiss to say that I was quite shocked with this announcement.

That said and Dai being my favorite male skater past and present I am doing
my happy dance. :dance::hap85:

Good luck to Kana and Dai as they forge ahead. :cheer:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Now I just need him to pair with Mao, and have Miki Ando do pairs with Nobunari Oda, so they can all go get the Olympic gold medal they deserve together.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Well damn there goes my Completely Irrational Conspiracy Theory just blown to smithereens...

:hap57:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Oh wow!
I think they can help inspire more skaters in Japan to go into ice dance!

Now I just need him to pair with Mao, and have Miki Ando do pairs with Nobunari Oda, so they can all go get the Olympic gold medal they deserve together.

I'm glad there's still a chance of Shoma and his hero Daisuke going to the same worlds or Olympics :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is crazy, but I love it!

Any chance to watch Daisuke skate is just a real gift!

Is Nationals next year their projected first competition?

Last edited: