Dead Peacock? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Dead Peacock?

noskates

Record Breaker
Thanks AlyssaMarie for the explanation. That kind of makes sense. I'm just glad they weren't eliminating figure skating from their roster. I've added all the events to my 'library' so I don't have to get up at 0 Dark Hundred to watch anything.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Worlds coverage is now listed on Peacock. You have to scroll down to the very bottom of the sports section to the figure skating section.
Good news for subscribers. I canceled my account after the Olympics gala. I'm not sure about re-subscribing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris - I agree that most of the Peacock replays come up soon but a few took longer during the Olys or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I literally cannot stand to listen to Tara's non-stop babbling. I love johnny's commentary but she just makes my teeth itch. I'm so glad Peacock is still broadcasting skating.
I suspect that NBC thinks that the majority of casual fans that watch the T and J show want their commentary and that serious fans, who are of course in the minority on NBC rabbit ears, can go somewhere else. Maybe T and J get so much money that they feel they HAVE to blabber during a performance or they will be let go? I got nothin'

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock has confirmed to someone on Reddit that the replays expired since the olympics were over, and some weren't able to be replays due to streaming right issues.
What about the other stuff? Skate America 2019 was up there. Will thee be a replay of the pairs due to Alexa and Brandon?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
No replay of pairs SP. The icon was removed sometime in the night, after being listed as "replay soon" for most of yesterday. The womens and mens SP's are up though.

However, I wouldn't be confident that these replays will remain up once Worlds is over. That's what happened with the Olympic replays, disappeared as soon as the Beijing circus left town.

Weathergal

Medalist
No replay of pairs SP. The icon was removed sometime in the night, after being listed as "replay soon" for most of yesterday. The womens and mens SP's are up though.

However, I wouldn't be confident that these replays will remain up once Worlds is over. That's what happened with the Olympic replays, disappeared as soon as the Beijing circus left town.
Yes, and prior to that, all the Grand Prixs, the US qualifying comps, US Nats, Euros, and 4CCs were also available. It's ridiculous. They mass removals go far beyond any music rights issue with Knierim / Frazier (assuming that was part of it) or any rude comments by the Reed and Slater.

I used to recommend Peacock to a lot of people, including on here. But no more. After Worlds, I'll be making my feelings known to them and canceling my subscription, at least until US Nats since that's the one comp I find the most difficult to view with others sources.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, and prior to that, all the Grand Prixs, the US qualifying comps, US Nats, Euros, and 4CCs were also available. It's ridiculous. They mass removals go far beyond any music rights issue with Knierim / Frazier (assuming that was part of it) or any rude comments by the Reed and Slater.

I used to recommend Peacock to a lot of people, including on here. But no more. After Worlds, I'll be making my feelings known to them and canceling my subscription, at least until US Nats since that's the one comp I find the most difficult to view with others sources.
I love Peacock as someone with Xfinity services, but I'm not sure it's the best medium for figure skating or gymnastics.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I at least don’t get my gymnastics on Peacock. I get it on the Olympic channel or on ESPN. Or SEC network. It’s a great deal easier to follow.
ESPN and SEC Network are only college gymnastics, though, and I'm kinda getting bored of it after a few years of watching regularly. Not enough variety in vault and beam dismounts are underwhelming. I would say floor is probably the best event, but there're more and more two pass routines, which again is underwhelming. Maybe bars is, but there's cookie cutter gymnastics there too. I love clean gymnastics, but often that isn't enough to hold my attention.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ESPN and SEC Network are only college gymnastics, though, and I'm kinda getting bored of it after a few years of watching regularly. Not enough variety in vault and beam dismounts are underwhelming. I would say floor is probably the best event, but there're more and more two pass routines, which again is underwhelming. Maybe bars is, but there's cookie cutter gymnastics there too. I love clean gymnastics, but often that isn't enough to hold my attention.
See I thought this year was lit. We’ve got an Olympic gold All Around medalist, we’ve got the whole last Olympic team except Simone, we’ve got the World All Around silver medalist. Personally I prefer the 10.0 system and the last International event I watched they were even wanting it back. International gymnastics seems to randomly take off points, the commentators can’t even tell why.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
See I thought this year was lit. We’ve got an Olympic gold All Around medalist, we’ve got the whole last Olympic team except Simone, we’ve got the World All Around silver medalist. Personally I prefer the 10.0 system and the last International event I watched they were even wanting it back. International gymnastics seems to randomly take off points, the commentators can’t even tell why.
The Olympians and world team members are the exception, not the rule, in college gymnastics. I'm at the point where there are skills I never want to see again, like a Yurchenko full vault and an aerial cartwheel-back full dismount off beam. I will admit they micro-manage in international gymnastics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympians and world team members are the exception, not the rule, in college gymnastics. I'm at the point where there are skills I never want to see again, like a Yurchenko full vault and an aerial cartwheel-back full dismount off beam. I will admit they micro-manage in international gymnastics.
They are the exception but in my opinion are elevating the sport. Since NIL there is no reason for gymnasts to go from elite to college. I also expect more back and forth (we will see if I’m right). Popularity continues to grow- Auburn sold out their whole home season.

World Cup doesn’t seem to be being shown on the Olympic Channel. I’ve got to try to track it down.

DC2003

Rinkside
Just cancelled Peacock. Can't catch up on the 2021 Grand Prix series or 2022 Europeans if they are not offered anymore! I was not aware prior to cancelling that I will not be refunded for the months remaining on my subscription. Once my subscription runs out, I will then be downgraded to free. (By then, I may wind up renewing if Peacock will be the online outlet for figure skating again next season.) As I said in a prior post, why must watching figure skating be this challenging?!?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just cancelled Peacock. Can't catch up on the 2021 Grand Prix series or 2022 Europeans if they are not offered anymore! I was not aware prior to cancelling that I will not be refunded for the months remaining on my subscription. Once my subscription runs out, I will then be downgraded to free. (By then, I may wind up renewing if Peacock will be the online outlet for figure skating again next season.) As I said in a prior post, why must watching figure skating be this challenging?!?
Its so upsetting. I cancelled mine too. But if we got replays, I would just keep it. I will renew in September.

DC2003

Rinkside
The Olympic Channel (which, of course, I do not have!) spent the last week replaying last season's competitions. If The Olympic Channel can still air these, why can't Peacock which is also an NBC company? If Peacock truly has streaming rights issues (which Ice Network and NBC Sports Gold never did), will we ever have paid on demand, online access to figure skating again? Makes me wonder what type of coverage, if any, will be offered online - where, when and how much - for the 2022-23 season.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock has confirmed to someone on Reddit that the replays expired since the olympics were over, and some weren't able to be replays due to streaming right issues.
Well what about all the skating content that they had going back to 2019 that they removed?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympic Channel (which, of course, I do not have!) spent the last week replaying last season's competitions. If The Olympic Channel can still air these, why can't Peacock which is also an NBC company? If Peacock truly has streaming rights issues (which Ice Network and NBC Sports Gold never did), will we ever have paid on demand, online access to figure skating again? Makes me wonder what type of coverage, if any, will be offered online - where, when and how much - for the 2022-23 season.
I have it (YouTube TV) but I have it set to record all domestic and international skating events and it's not doing so.

mtvessel

Spectator
The Olympic Channel just stuffed my DVR, and up until yesterday there were more replays scheduled starting June 7. Now they've all been yanked. Does anyone know what NBC is doing here? It's not like the Olympic Channel site is any help. :(

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It would be nice to get some answers from anyone about what fans can expect going forward. I've reached out twice to Peacock, twice to NBC and twice to U. S. Figure Skating. The only response I received is from NBC telling me to contact Peacock. I tried to be calm in my emails and not come across like a psycho but still no response.

I just checked and the replays from Worlds are still available (minus the Pairs SP) and the synchro comps. Last summer I watched some of the qualifying competitions before the new season started but none of those are available now. I was paying $4.99 plus tax to watch Peacock and I dropped down to the free Peacock and don't plan on paying again until more info is available. It will save me a little money but, for me, I can't see supporting Peacock when no one will give fans any information.