Do I need new skates?! Help!! | Golden Skate

Do I need new skates?! Help!!

samspaldi

Spectator
Hi! I started figure skating about a year and a half ago. I’ve been wearing Jackson Evo’s since I started. Recently I noticed heel pain in my right foot while skating and when putting pressure on my heel. I went to a podiatrist and they said it was a ganglion on my haglund. They suggested I put a u shaped pad around the heel bone while skating and it doesn’t have much pain since I have done that. Still I think it may be time to get new skates but I’m still not sure. I am 16, 5’9, and weigh 115 lbs. I can do all single jumps besides axel, which I am working on learning right now. My spins are still a bit iffy and not usually my main focus. I notice my right foot buckles occasionally when I land jumps. Recently I have noticed I have to tie my right skating 2 times for it to feel tight enough. It does not have any visible creases so I’m not sure if it’s time to retire them. Let me know what you think!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I started figure skating about a year and a half ago. I’ve been wearing Jackson Evo’s since I started. Recently I noticed heel pain in my right foot while skating and when putting pressure on my heel. I went to a podiatrist and they said it was a ganglion on my haglund. They suggested I put a u shaped pad around the heel bone while skating and it doesn’t have much pain since I have done that. Still I think it may be time to get new skates but I’m still not sure. I am 16, 5’9, and weigh 115 lbs. I can do all single jumps besides axel, which I am working on learning right now. My spins are still a bit iffy and not usually my main focus. I notice my right foot buckles occasionally when I land jumps. Recently I have noticed I have to tie my right skating 2 times for it to feel tight enough. It does not have any visible creases so I’m not sure if it’s time to retire them. Let me know what you think!!!
HI and welcome! Yes, you have needed new boots from the start b/c whomever put you in an evo didn't know what they were doing. Those are in no way stiff enough for you and you should stop jumping in them for fear of injury. With Jackson, you shouldn't have been put in anything less stiff than the Entre or Debut. (which both need separate blades---good traditional intermediate blade like JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro would work).

If you were to tell us a few things we could further help you.
Where are you in the world so we can suggest a proper fitter.
Arches: v high/high/normal/low/flat?
Foot type (look this up).

Once you provide those things I and others can help further. Your foot may not even work with Jackson and you may need another brands, and if that's the case I can make suggestions for those at that point.

Good luck!

samspaldi

Spectator
HI and welcome! Yes, you have needed new boots from the start b/c whomever put you in an evo didn't know what they were doing. Those are in no way stiff enough for you and you should stop jumping in them for fear of injury. With Jackson, you shouldn't have been put in anything less stiff than the Entre or Debut. (which both need separate blades---good traditional intermediate blade like JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro would work).

If you were to tell us a few things we could further help you.
Where are you in the world so we can suggest a proper fitter.
Arches: v high/high/normal/low/flat?
Foot type (look this up).

Once you provide those things I and others can help further. Your foot may not even work with Jackson and you may need another brands, and if that's the case I can make suggestions for those at that point.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the reply! I am located in Northern New Jersey.

My arches are normal. I never knew there were so many foot types! My foot type looks like a more rounded/ less drastic version of Egyptian? One chart said orient? I’m not sure if that is a real thing because I only saw it there.
My feet are 9.5 inches long x 3.74 inches wide give or take a little for each foot.
I am open to any brand!! Thank you for the help!!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for the reply! I am located in Northern New Jersey.

My arches are normal. I never knew there were so many foot types! My foot type looks like a more rounded/ less drastic version of Egyptian? One chart said orient? I’m not sure if that is a real thing because I only saw it there.
My feet are 9.5 inches long x 3.74 inches wide give or take a little for each foot.
I am open to any brand!! Thank you for the help!!
Let me PM you.