EDEA ICE FLY EVOLUTION HELP | Golden Skate

EDEA ICE FLY EVOLUTION HELP

IcyMay23

Rinkside
Hi All,

Question for any skate techs or Edea Ice Fly skaters. I purchased my first pair of Ice Flys back in 2015, so almost 10 years ago. I was properly fitted by a reputable skate tech and they fit like a glove. I had to stop skating for three years and returned to the ice last year @ 43 years old. Of course I purchased another pair of Ice Flys because there was no reason to deviate from my previous boot brand. But in 2023-24 they just do not feel the same for me. I did notice the design changed slightly since 2015 as there are now rhinestones embedded under the soles of the boots (no complaints here, lol). So I'm wondering since the design has been slightly altered, have the materials of the boot been altered over the years that I've been away from the ice? I love Edea and want to stick with them. Any advice welcome. Thanks.
P.S. I'm thinking of selling and getting a new pair. They are a size 255C, white, approximately 6mos old, like new. If anyone is interested, please message me.

Last edited:

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
I recently had my boots adjusted to have the heel narrowed and the toe box widened
If the Edeas are too narrow for you, it is also worth checking other brands and models. Like you said, it has been a while and our feet change in that time. So, would definitely recommend getting fitted again.
P.S. I'm thinking of selling and getting a new pair. They are a size 255C, white, approximately 6mos old, like new. If anyone is interested, please message me.
I think this forum has a Classifieds section that you can utilise for this. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi All,

Question for any skate techs or Edea Ice Fly skaters. I purchased my first pair of Ice Flys back in 2015, so almost 10 years ago. I was properly fitted by a reputable skate tech and they fit like a glove. I had to stop skating for three years and returned to the ice last year @ 43 years old. Of course I purchased another pair of Ice Flys because there was no reason to deviate from my previous boot brand. But in 2023-24 they just do not feel the same for me. They don't perform the same either. I can't explain it but to simply state that the material feels different than my 2015 pair. I don't want to say "rigid" because that's not the appropriate term for what I'm experiencing. They just feel very harsh. I did notice the design changed slightly since 2015 as there are now rhinestones embedded under the soles of the boots (no complaints here, lol). So I'm wondering since the design has been slightly altered, have the materials of the boot been altered over the years that I've been away from the ice? I love Edea and want to stick with them. I recently had my boots adjusted to have the heel narrowed and the toe box widened, but they just feel different. IDK. Someone help please. lol. Any advice welcome. Thanks.
You probably need to revisit the fitter with the intention of getting your foot measured and traced again bc over time our feet do change. You may need another brand now.

Good luck!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Did you have the skates with the tongue that is split in two with the sewing in the middle vertically and the "Edea' written to the side? The changed the design of the tongue and personally I *HATED* this tongue. In every knee bend, the whole thing would move together and press on my toes, VERY distracting!And it seems the whole skate felt different because of that tongue. They have since come back to the regular tongue design with the sewing horizontally and the name "Edea" written in the top middle (I heard they had too many complaints regarding that sewed vertically tongue), however skates with that strange tongue can still be found for sale around and when buying, one has to make sure to order with the regular tongue. I wear Edea Ice Flys 255 B width and love them so much, but that tongue was a failure, indeed.

IcyMay23

Rinkside
Did you have the skates with the tongue that is split in two with the sewing in the middle vertically and the "Edea' written to the side? The changed the design of the tongue and personally I *HATED* this tongue. In every knee bend, the whole thing would move together and press on my toes, VERY distracting!And it seems the whole skate felt different because of that tongue. They have since come back to the regular tongue design with the sewing horizontally and the name "Edea" written in the top middle (I heard they had too many complaints regarding that sewed vertically tongue), however skates with that strange tongue can still be found for sale around and when buying, one has to make sure to order with the regular tongue. I wear Edea Ice Flys 255 B width and love them so much, but that tongue was a failure, indeed.
OMG , so I was right - they HAVE changed over the years! Thank you for all the info. To answer you question - I have the tongue with the horizontal sewing and "EDEA" printed in the top middle of the tongue. However the tongue is definitely different than my original pair. The air holes at the top of the tongue are not placed in a circular shape they are 2 rows across and one row down the middle. Towards the toe of the tongue, instead of there being loops of material sewed to lace through, it's just a slit in the actual tongue that the laces can slip through. I did realize that my lacing was a bit haphazard so I watched the official Edea lacing tutorial which definitely made a difference, so that was my bad. I'm glad they worked out for you!

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
This is the awful tongue with the sewing vertically
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.22.51.png

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
The first one with the sewing vertically is the issue one, the whole skate feels differently with this tongue, pressed down on the toes. Nobody I know how skated with this tongue, no matter which Edea model, liked this tongue. Since then, Edea has come back to manufacturing with the tongue shown in the second photo, but the changed tongue can still be found for sale.
Sorry, for some reason it wouldn't let me put the 2 photos in the same post.

My latest skates have thankfully the tongue in the above photo, look exactly like these skates above and I love them so much.
But yes, as suggested by other members, it's a great idea to return to a professional fitter and have your feet re fitted, since feet can change over time.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Thank you so much for all the help! My boots definitely look like the 2nd photo, yet are still slightly different.
I just came home, back from the rink/practice, and took a photo of my skates. The little holes on the tongue are positioned a little differently than the second internet photo I posted above. These are my latest skates, from the end of September/2023, that I’m currently wearing.
IMG_1357.jpeg

IcyMay23

Rinkside
I just came home, back from the rink/practice, and took a photo of my skates. The little holes on the tongue are positioned a little differently than the second internet photo I posted above. These are my latest skates, from the end of September/2023, that I’m currently wearing. View attachment 7848
Yep! Those are them! Almost...lol. I'll post a pic of mine.

IcyMay23

Rinkside
temp-Imagek-Zj-Im8.avif

Okay everybody, so this is what my Ice Flys look like. There's no actual loop towards the toe of the tongue to lace through; it's just a slit in the tongue. Anyone else ever see this? I mean, it's not big deal, just haven't noticed it on many models.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Ohhhhh I see.. yours don't have the things to put the laces near the crystal!!! Mine has two in that area then the one in the middle of the tongue, exactly as yours.
Hmmmmm where do you live, if it's ok to ask? I'm wondering if these guys make skates differently for each country?? All the Ice Flys from my rink mates/friends look exactly like mine. When we went through the awful tongue model, we have the same awful tongue skates. I'm in Tokyo Japan. I'm wondering if I go skate, say, in Germany .... or Italy .... or Russia ... or Korea... will the skaters there who wear Ice Flys purchased around the same time I purchased mine have the exact same making as my skates even though all of them say "Made in Italy"? Which country receives the best make? Now I'm VERY curious.

IcyMay23

Rinkside
Ohhhhh I see.. yours don't have the things to put the laces near the crystal!!! Mine has two in that area then the one in the middle of the tongue, exactly as yours.
Hmmmmm where do you live, if it's ok to ask? I'm wondering if these guys make skates differently for each country?? All the Ice Flys from my rink mates/friends look exactly like mine. When we went through the awful tongue model, we have the same awful tongue skates. I'm in Tokyo Japan. I'm wondering if I go skate, say, in Germany .... or Italy .... or Russia ... or Korea... will the skaters there who wear Ice Flys purchased around the same time I purchased mine have the exact same making as my skates even though all of them say "Made in Italy"? Which country receives the best make? Now I'm VERY curious.
Interesting theory! You could be on to something. I'm in Northern New Jersey, U.S.A.