Edeas, normal break in, or am I tying too tight? | Golden Skate

Edeas, normal break in, or am I tying too tight?

spinningdancer

Rinkside
After doing a longer than usual session on the ice in my new Edeas, I ended up with a blister on the same spot on each foot. I'd skated in the Edeas for about 4 hours before this, but all short 30-45 minute sessions, and never had any major pain. On the most recent session, I skated for 90 minutes, and did ice dance, which required me to get down more in my knees and ankles. Towards the end of the session, I felt a bit of pressure on the outside edge of the tongues, but decided to skate through it. When I got off the ice, I had a blister on each foot. The blisters are on the outside of my lower ankles, about an inch above the ankle bone, and right in the area where the stiffest part of the edge of the tongue hits the leg.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it part of the break in, or a sign that I am tying too tight? I've watched YouTube videos on how to lace Edeas properly, and took a video of my skate tech tying them as well, and always make sure I can fit a few fingers in at the top, but I suppose it's still possible I'm going too tight at the second hook. This is my first pair of Edeas, after skating in "traditional" boots for many years, so it's a bit of a learning curve. I've ordered some ankle gel pads to help my feet, but I also want to be sure I'm not doing anything that will damage the boot.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After doing a longer than usual session on the ice in my new Edeas, I ended up with a blister on the same spot on each foot. I'd skated in the Edeas for about 4 hours before this, but all short 30-45 minute sessions, and never had any major pain. On the most recent session, I skated for 90 minutes, and did ice dance, which required me to get down more in my knees and ankles. Towards the end of the session, I felt a bit of pressure on the outside edge of the tongues, but decided to skate through it. When I got off the ice, I had a blister on each foot. The blisters are on the outside of my lower ankles, about an inch above the ankle bone, and right in the area where the stiffest part of the edge of the tongue hits the leg.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it part of the break in, or a sign that I am tying too tight? I've watched YouTube videos on how to lace Edeas properly, and took a video of my skate tech tying them as well, and always make sure I can fit a few fingers in at the top, but I suppose it's still possible I'm going too tight at the second hook. This is my first pair of Edeas, after skating in "traditional" boots for many years, so it's a bit of a learning curve. I've ordered some ankle gel pads to help my feet, but I also want to be sure I'm not doing anything that will damage the boot.
Don't tie them to the top hook right now during break in. Also, get bunga pads. You could try some moleskin where you are getting blisters as well to kind of pad that area until they break in more.