Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't think they will medal in the ice dance event (although I will be happy if they do). But 4th-6th place at the Olympics and then a medal at Worlds, SURE! I also hope that the Russians will put them in the Olympic team event. :yes:

I believe they have a good chance. They received steadily higher PCS score from event to event than their main opponents last season (except, maybe, the Shibs), and their FD is finally likable for the general public (and hopefully the judges). Their SD is not something out of this world, but still pretty solid. So why not? They need to skate clean, of course, and they're perfectly capable of it. :shrug:
As for the team event, I'm 99.9% sure they will be on the team. Russia wants to win it, so it will be stupid if they will not put their strongest team in the mix.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Anna Karenina wasn't instant love for me too. It was the program you need to understand, and to understand it you need to try, many people didn't give it a chance after first watch. But this dance is an instant love for me. From concept to elements, they only need to add perfect execution now. I already know that this program I will be rewatching maybe even years after. And Poclitaru's choreography doesn't look out of place on the ice, I would even say it's rather nice and beautiful.

Well you really did need to know a bit about the history of ice dance to understand why that Anna Karenina program was so good. It's right out of the High Russian ID tradition. Classical or classically-inspired music, heavy on the romantic drama, big sweeping deep edges, speed speed speed, a throughline of storytelling. In a year where everyone was doing P/C knockoffs, it was smart smart smart of them to go back to their own tradition.

I couldn't stand B/S for a long time because they were sloppy skaters. Go back and look at earlier performances of theirs. Everything is just sloppy--from the choreography to the packaging to (especially) the posture. I would watch them and want to run out on the ice, tie long sticks to their backs and tell them, Maybe now you won't skate like you're both affected with severe cases of osteoporosis.

The Man with the Harmonica for me was their breakthrough. And I see the new FD as deliberately trying to catch the vibe of that dance. Without the horrid insertion of a souped-up eurotrashdisco music piece for a de rigeur tempo change.

Look, this is the first season in ages where I haven't been wowed by ANY of the dances, short or free. I think every single one I've seen so far have problems and issues. And that includes B/S. But I am a fan--a rather big fan of theirs--so I will continue to watch and see how both programs develop.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as usual for me, while doing my Monday Morning round in Fan Fests after weekend of competitions, I want to congratulate Ekaterina and Dmitri on their win at Nepela - not only it was a convincing win, but a win with style and confidence shown. Probably the most important, valuable thing I gathered from their showing in Bratislava (I know I'm weird, I should hail high scores and strong levels:laugh:) is how naturally focused, determined and engaged they seemed to be while performing both programs; I loved this confidence radiating from them of having good programs, reflecting their style and abilities. And also I want to thank them both for giving me a joy of SD and a little bit of being moved by FD - if some positive emotion is evoked in me by performance, it's always a good thing.

I think that the most important thing from competition perspective for them is that they have good, solid AND fitting material on their hand, which they can simply work with comfortably. Both programs of course require polishing, sharpening levels, fluidity, more finishing of movement (especially in SD), BUT boy - they truly proved their fantastic performance abilities at Nepela, selling both dances like hot cakes:laugh:. Loved their attitude and good expression in SD - with nice flow, strong technique, ice coverage and better lift (now only Katia's costume needs to be re-vamped:)) it was a winner there. And a 70+ score said it enough - they are on a good path, I think that they are now in a moment where they embraced their identity AND judges started to see that and appreciate accordingly.

As for FD I felt like there is a strong vibe of 'Anna Karenina' FD there in terms of storytelling, with a difference that this time it feels kind of more 'them', more personal and original. LOVE and LOVE Katia's dress - she looks sophisticated, polished and ready to amaze! Agree with Snow63 point posted in Nepela FD thread that the skirt really worked amazingly in dance spin. Even this early in the season I see already that the choreography, expression, execution are backing the concept/story very strongly, there is good flow and cohesion between all elements. The two things I'm not convinced are straightline lift and too much of 'hands waiving' in 2nd part of the program - the lift feels kind of accidental for me and too much of hands create for me unnecessary drama and disturbs atmosphere. Again, 110+ says a lot for the first competition - the only way from there is up I believe:)

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
I
As for the team event, I'm 99.9% sure they will be on the team. Russia wants to win it, so it will be stupid if they will not put their strongest team in the mix.
They will be on the team event, I'm sure about this, they might even have to do both of the dances. Anyway, Katya has been captain of Russian team twice, she even appeared in the opening montage chosen for the Olympic ceremony, carrying the torch, she may reprise the role too. We all know what a marvellous captain she was last WTT :dance:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
well I did delve again into the pit (otherwisw known as the Rus ID thread I:slink:)
& someone again streses that the package is worse than other countries' teams...

Like I love VM I do:luv17: but Katia's dress is like much more elegant than what Tessa, a unquestionably top skater for example wore @ the recent comp...
Not for the purpose of throwing shade I wrote that ofc!
or maybe I just dont get what native speakers ppl usually mean by package:think:

Snow63

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVgPoQps8w

Can someone give us a bit of an insight on what Katia and Dima said in this video? They talk generally about their programs and some improvements, but of course it's impossible to know anything from simultaneous translation...

So many interesting things... They explained the FD concept again, the same explanation basically. At first they tried on the floor choreography with Poclitaru, and Katia was very bad at it at first. She didn't know how to move like a 'blind' person and it looked unnatural. She walked around with her eyes closed and reacted on Poclitaru's voice only. Then Dima tried and was very much better at it than Ekaterina. Katia started to copy him and now they're happy with how it looks. And overall they think it's a very difficult theme to show on ice, and they have a lot of respect for the people who unfortunately have to live with that in real life.
About the SD thay said that they didn't want to go risky there, they just want solid traditional dance, and they completely focused on the tech elements, since at last Worlds it was mistakes in the SD which possibly costed them 3rd place.
Then they said that they want to take a pause after this season for Katia to have a baby. And then who knows, they considering their possible return in the future. Dmitri even said that it feels to him that his career just started and he has a lot of energy left to continue. :)

So, that's basically that.

Snow63

Record Breaker
The Man with the Harmonica for me was their breakthrough. And I see the new FD as deliberately trying to catch the vibe of that dance. Without the horrid insertion of a souped-up eurotrashdisco music piece for a de rigeur tempo change.

I don't see similarities, honestly. :shrug: Except one that in 'Man with the Harmonica' Dima deliberately don't look at Katia and in this FD it's the other way around. I find the mood is very different. 'Man with the Harmonica' was dark, heavy and haunted (even a bit disturbing) and this new one is sad, very light and nostalgic (maybe?) with bittersweet end. What do you find common in them?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Then they said that they want to take a pause after this season for Katia to have a baby. And then who knows, they considering their possible return in the future. Dmitri even said that it feels to him that his career just started and he has a lot of energy left to continue. :)

I'd be really happy with this. I think they still have a lot to give, and if they come up with programs like this FD, I would watch them forever.

Thanks for translating, Snow!

Snow63

Record Breaker
I'd be really happy with this. I think they still have a lot to give, and if they come up with programs like this FD, I would watch them forever.

Thanks for translating, Snow!

Yeah, it will be a sad moment for me when they'll announce their retirement. So I'm glad they don't burn the bridges yet :) Ekaterina is only 27, so 31 is not so out of this world age to perform at the Olympics, right? I don't even care about the results, I'll be glad to just see them skating. Anna Cappellini is 30 now, and still looks as good as 27, maybe even better :biggrin: So really, who knows?

Marta25

Medalist
Nathalie Pechalat was 30 when she and Fabian skated in Sochi, so why not? :biggrin:

It`s also not like they have massive competition in Russia :slink: Sure, there are talented junior teams, but they will need years to get on a level to be competitve with the top teams. Also, after Korea a few teams who are in direct competition to Bobrova/Soloviev are expected to retire, so this will open even further the door for them. I remember an article where Soloviev mentioned that he is considering to continue with another partner if Bobrova wants to retire. Honestly, if Bobrova is open to continue after she had her baby, he should rather wait for her. Bobrova wouldn`t be the first to come back after a pregnancy and be even better than before :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I remember an article where Soloviev mentioned that he is considering to continue with another partner if Bobrova wants to retire. Honestly, if Bobrova is open to continue after she had her baby, he should rather wait for her. Bobrova wouldn`t be the first to come back after a pregnancy and be even better than before :)

I think it was Bobrova who talked about Soloviev getting a new partner, and I believe it was a joke. She listed all possible futures, whether likely or remote.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think it was Bobrova who mentioned the possibility of Soloviev getting a new partner. She listed a bunch of possible futures, some likely and some not.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Anna Cappellini is 30 now, and still looks as good as 27, maybe even better
no kidding She looks like 20+ without makeup!

Good luck BS & Zhulinteam!:hap10:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Good showing in the SD! The only level 3 was in the PSt, otherwise all level 4s in the program. I do think they held themselves a bit, which could be the reason why they lost to the Shibs even having the same BV. Let's hope for a good FD and maybe they can close that difference.

:cheer:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-SRN5W4eRE

Straight line lift is still the same - only her legs changed a bit. The dismount is still not ideal. I want them to get negative GOE on that one so maybe they'll change it, but I don't want them to lose, so :hopelessness:

If they had to mess up one element it had to be that lift, and not the spin! It cost them the gold - but at least the tech panel seemed to like them. Steps with level 4s in the SD and FD. That's a first for them.

musicfan80

Medalist
Overall, I really enjoyed both of B/S's programs this weekend! :yes:

As a program, I liked their SD more than the Shibs because I feel that Ekaterina and Dmitri interpreted the dances better - even though I do think that their speed in places could have improved. I did not agree with Charlie White's comments about their expression, AT ALL. :noshake: (JMHO, I also disagreed with him on the Shibs - I typically really like the Shibs, but even though I think they were the best ice dance team here, I think their programs were kinda too MEH.)

Their FD - that twizzle sequence in the beginning was GREAT! That was unfortunate about their spin in the FD. They did recover well, though, and that's a great sign. The story in their FD is so beautiful and I think there a lot of potential.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Overall, I really enjoyed both of B/S's programs this weekend! :yes:

As a program, I liked their SD more than the Shibs because I feel that Ekaterina and Dmitri interpreted the dances better - even though I do think that their speed in places could have improved.

I think they controlled their speed in the SD in order to get the levels, and in the FD I they were a bit more wild, and sloppy in the diagonal steps, for example. It hurt to see them with tears in their eyes, tho. I think they really wanted to win in front of the home crowd - but perhaps it's because there's more in store for them.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I'm very happy with BOTH performances. I even liked their SD a little bit :biggrin:

After that spin mistake they lost their shine, in my opinion. The last part was crumpled, and Ekaterina went too hard for it because of that. The dance started so good though. I can definitely see them scoring much higher when clean. Anyway, they have lost to a team who was 100% clean and not by much. So I'm happy with the result.