Ekaterina Gordeeva: From the Heart (Dec 30) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Gordeeva: From the Heart (Dec 30)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I saw one Soi number and it wasn't magic for me. I'm not implying who she loved more at all - likely ilia after so long but they looked at each other like no pair I've seen before or since.

The love was part of their brand of magic. I have never seen ilia do true pair skating. I enjoyed her with Bure too. I expect David to be an equal partner.
It's true that they looked like no pair before or since, but I don't think that their love for each other was key to that. They looked special even before they became lovers. I read Katia's book a couple of years ago and then I also remembered how she was always sitting alone in the audience at the 88' Olympics, watching each competition after they won gold together. He was so much older than her, I guess it was obvious back then that she had a crush on him (who wouldn't?) and that he cared for her and respected her. But they didn't spend much time together, apart from training.
I think it's great that she was able to go on with her life like she did after he died and that she's still remembering Sergei together with her fellow skaters and the fans from time to time. And the fact that Ilia is supporting her is showing his respect for her and her life together with Sergei.
I expect Katia and David to look great together.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is kind of sad though to see Katia skate with anyone but Sergei. Somehow you only want to remember her as the dewy eyed in love angel and her prince. Now we see her, still beautiful but the California sun has weathered her. She had amazing skating skills though and still does. She technically had issues with the 3 toe loop and they never got the full arsenal of throw jumps but stil lthey were amazing to watch. It is kind of sad to see David not skate with Jamie though. But life does go on - just kind of sad to see the great loves well gone for whatever reason. I suppose Jamie is too busy with her husband who owns a floor covering business and used to be a pro hockey player. David now coaches or teaches power skating including to the Edmonton Oilers.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
https://instagram.com/p/_5PWi4xf5F/

Here are Katia and Daria at rehearsals for the show. Daria is still the spitting image of Sergei!

Thank you Sarah. I was looking for Daria and could not find any adult pictures of her. Can you post any more. No face book photos seemed to be her. I guess she is 23. Can anyone say where she went to college or whatever she did after high school and what does she do for work? Is she still in California with her family? I recall she loved her summers in Russia. Does she live there now??? Please tell us all about Daria!!! She still looks like her 3 year old self and yes she is totally Sergeis daughter. And Liza looks more like her dad than her mom. I recall Katias hopes for Daria to be like her own mom. Tall, good at computersetc. I don't think she really pushed her to skate. I do think that Liza is very good at spirals etc but not a great jumper like her dada but she is the only kid on. That special who can actually skate. Talented girl.

More Daria pics and info please?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you Sarah. I was looking for Daria and could not find any adult pictures of her. Can you post any more. No face book photos seemed to be her. I guess she is 23. Can anyone say where she went to college or whatever she did after high school and what does she do for work? Is she still in California with her family? I recall she loved her summers in Russia. Does she live there now??? Please tell us all about Daria!!! She still looks like her 3 year old self and yes she is totally Sergeis daughter. And Liza looks more like her dad than her mom. I recall Katias hopes for Daria to be like her own mom. Tall, good at computersetc. I don't think she really pushed her to skate. I do think that Liza is very good at spirals etc but not a great jumper like her dada but she is the only kid on. That special who can actually skate. Talented girl.

More Daria pics and info please?

Actually yes, I've seen her Instagram account. Lots of recent photos. Looks like she lives in California but visits Russia frequently.

http://instagram.com/dartard

I apologize to the moderators if we aren't allowed to post links to skater's family member's social media, please delete my post if it's against the rules. However, since it's a public account, I assume it's not off limits to fans. I've noticed Daria already has lots of her parents fans posting comments on her pics.

I recall a few years ago there was a thread here discussing a Twitter account that may have been Daria's; it had content that caused some alarm.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well wow. Clearly Sergei is important and it appears she wants to model or something? I don't read Russian so....

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hi is there any video of this? Someone on this board must have seen this at lake placid???

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I imagine it is not so easy for a singles skater to train for pairs or to master pairs lifts.

:thumbsup: There's also the fact that Ilia was (and still is?) very interested in exploring creative things to do in singles skating, things he couldn't branch out to in olympic competitive skating. Which I, for one, appreciate very much. His tap dance on ice without music, done with microphones on his skates, was one of the most electric and fun programs I've seen at SOI.

I would add that I :love: his and Katia's Casi un Bolero and other skates together. Duets are beautiful in a different way from pairs; duets can make gorgeous shapes while highlighting each individual skater, too.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far Stars on Ice says no telecast.

If they're saying that, perhaps it means Katia and David will reprise one of their pairs skates for this year's SOI? I hope.:luv17:

heyang

Record Breaker
There's a facebook group called We Love Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov where several members have posted pictures and videos of this show. They are also urging people to email [email protected] to urge them to either air this show and/or perhaps make it available for purchase on DVD (perhaps with proceeds going to the American Heart Association.

Kristi did skate a #. Not sure of Scott performed a number or just performed in the finale. He acted as host and read a very touching letter from Viktor Petrenko, who did not participate in this show. Also, apparently Daria introduced several skaters.

After watching one of the videos, I typed out the following speech by Daria that preceded her intro of Yuka Sato.

"Everyone together. Old friends, new friends, all of you. I think that this is exactly how my dad would've wanted it to be.

I feel very close to him right now. I know he is special to each of us. To me, he is the big beautiful man who carried me everywhere on his shoulders. He would hold me in his arms between his legs and glide around this rink with my belly within inches of this icy surface. I could tell what you're all thinking right now - I know I look exactly like him.

We talk alike . we eat alike. and apparently we even sleep alike. Not that I would want to , but I cannot escape him.

He is always with me. It makes me so incredibly happy to share his love for me.

I would not have missed this opportunity for the world.

Thank you all for this evening that I will always treasure and never forget.

To me, there is no feeling like waking up to go skating in the morning. The smell of the ice and the rush of the cold you get when you enter the rink is one of the most enchanting and serene feelings I know. When there's ice, clear, crisp , clean, there's security and sometimes when the stars align. a skaters a connection to it is innate. My father was one her biggest fans. he admired her flawless technique, her glide her grace, her technique and her spirit. The music is called On the Ice and no one captures the concept more than my Mom's dear friend Yuka.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Also from the Facebook fan group.

Katia and David skated to Photograph.

I just transcribed Scott's opening introduction from a video on facebook:

So many spectacular things have happened on this ice and so many moving and wonderful things have happened in this space and tonight is a great example of the heart and soul of this community and the greatness that can take place on this ice. Thank you so much for being here to support Katia and Daria.

This has been a reunion. Truly has. It's been so fun to be out here in front of you and to be with our family. It just feels so great. So many people came in to be a part of this tonight, but there were some who couldn't be here and they all sent messages. Too many to read, but there's one that represents all of the messages we received.

Words can not describe how devastated the figure skating world was after hearing of Sergei's passing. 20 years have passed without Sergei in our lives. I still remember the fun times we had and the memories we shared when we travelled to many camps, competitions and the Champions on Ice tour. He was one of the most talented skaters I've had the privilege to skate with and watching him and Katia perform on the ice made me appreciate the sport even more because of the grace and beauty they performed with every time they skated.

Even though Sergei is no longer with us, he still lives with us through Katia and Dasha. Every time I look at Dasha, I see Sergei and I know he would be so proud to see the young and beautiful young woman she has become. When Katia skates, she continues to carry Sergei in her heart by performing with such grace and beauty that they shared together. Sergei with allows be known for his talent on the ice and as the loving father and husband. My friend Sergei will always be remain in my heart. Signed Viktor Petrenko.

So on behalf of everyone here is going to be skating on this ice and everyone else about to skate and everyone who couldn't make it," Lake Placid, Thank You for showing up in such great to numbers to show just how much you care for this family. God Bless you All.

Last edited:

Mimzy

Rinkside
Does anyone know why Viktor Petrenko wasn't there? And what did Paul skate to?

heyang

Record Breaker
Any links
As noted in one of my earlier posts, The We Love Gordeeva and Grinkov facebook fan page has various links. Someone's been compiling the best of them and posted a link to a site where you can watch the collected clips.

No one's sure if the event was actually taped or not since there's been no air date announcement.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As noted in one of my earlier posts, The We Love Gordeeva and Grinkov facebook fan page has various links. Someone's been compiling the best of them and posted a link to a site where you can watch the collected clips.

No one's sure if the event was actually taped or not since there's been no air date announcement.

Link for that site would help, I was not able to find it.... Maybe I did something wrong?