Elizaveta's triple A | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta's triple A

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Regardless of success in the 3A, I believe she gains more by training/competing with 3A for the worlds in a long run.

I disagree, mainly because a skater shouldn't prepare for the long run when they are in a good position to win now. Liza could suffer a career-ending injury anytime so if she loses the title because she failed on the 3A, she might never have an opportunity to try again. Also, the whole competitive landscape could change in a year; if you told me 11 months ago that Liza would be going to Worlds as the favorite and Julia failed to make the World team I would have probably thought you were crazy.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If ever she decided to pursue 3A then she may have a line up of
3A
3lz-2t-2l
3lz
3t-3t
3f
3s-2a seq
3L
I think she's trying it in the SP:
3A
3Lz
--
3T-3T (bonus)

She might bring 3Lz-3T back to the LP, in which case I see:
3Lz-3T
3Lz
3F
--
2A-3T
3S-2T-2Lo
3Lo
2A

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I disagree, mainly because a skater shouldn't prepare for the long run when they are in a good position to win now. Liza could suffer a career-ending injury anytime so if she loses the title because she failed on the 3A, she might never have an opportunity to try again. Also, the whole competitive landscape could change in a year; if you told me 11 months ago that Liza would be going to Worlds as the favorite and Julia failed to make the World team I would have probably thought you were crazy.

I think the odds of seeing a similar National Team out of Russia year after year is pretty low. It's going to take seasons the quality of which Liza and Elena produced this year (last year it was Yulia and Adelina) to guarantee anything and I highly doubt anyone can do that at a consistent level year after year. Next year will be even more competitive with even less room for error to grab that third spot which should still be there.

Maybe the 3a will be her golden ticket.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist

I understand you saying she is in a good position to win now. But, nobody knows what will happen in 11 month nor in 1 month if Liza can land her 3A or not; she can win the world or not. All I am saying is theses things cannot be guaranteed. With all theses uncertainties, you need to have a faith of what you are doing as Liza and her team showed this season long. I am sure their goal was not to win GPF and Euros. She will prepare what she can do best and go for it at the worlds. If she and her coach feels it is ready and time to do 3A, 3Lz-3T, or what not, I am on her side, no matter what the outcome would be like.

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I think that's a smart move. The field is so deep in Russia right now, so Liza needs something that will make her stand out as far as the next season is concerned. She can't afford relaxing because there is a whole new generation of young super consistent girls waiting for their chance to shine next year. From what I see most Russian figure skaters and coaches are more strategic when it comes to long-term success. 3A would be a good way to set Liza apart from the field and give her an advantage. Whether she wins or loses the Worlds with her 3A doesn't really matter, but showing that she can fully rotate it in the competition does.

BlackPack

Medalist
I rather ladies went for 3-3s rather than 3a which has a history of causing people to meltdown, calls of URs (whether fairly or not), and it's just so loaded with unnecessary risk and pressure.

If the 3a becomes as easy for her as a 2a, then of course.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who is a proponent of calling falls more harshly I really hope she lands more than she doesn't in competition because I will never think it's very exciting to watch fully rotated falls and I can't get behind the points being awarded. :no: Sorry but a clean 2a is better than a fully rotated 3a fall. At least it should look that way on the protocols.

Anyway....I don't have any reason to suspect this will be the case at this point. If she brings it out....I suspect she will be 100% ready to execute :yes:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
"adding back to her repertoire" ?
Really? How do you add something back when it wasn't even there ever? Let me ride my unicorn to Shanghai and watch this repertoire.

BlackPack

Medalist
"adding back to her repertoire" ?
Really? How do you add something back when it wasn't even there ever? Let me ride my unicorn to Shanghai and watch this repertoire.

You must have missed all those viral videos of her doing 3a at age 12/13 and now it's back with a vengeance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Strategically let people think she is putting it in both her long and short and then not do it. she truly needs more time to get it consistent and done in competition. Besides the Russian girls have to be careful or Ashley or GRacie will sneak in for the gold or at least a medal. Remember the American ladies score very highly pc wise.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
As someone who is a proponent of calling falls more harshly I really hope she lands more than she doesn't in competition because I will never think it's very exciting to watch fully rotated falls and I can't get behind the points being awarded. :no: Sorry but a clean 2a is better than a fully rotated 3a fall. At least it should look that way on the protocols.

A good clean 2A will earn more points than a 3A with a fall. But it's important to remember the incredible difference in difficulty; fewer than 10 women have landed the 3A in competition, whereas tens of thousands have landed a 2A.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I sure hope so. But sometimes it seems that judges inflate the PCS to compensate for 3-3s of lesser difficulty. Tuk definitely deserves higher PCS, but I'm still thinking under the 6.0 system where 3z-3t's were more highly rewarded.

Yeah, that's how Surya Bonaly and Elena Sokolova got to be world champions.

Oh, wait...

;)

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Yeah, that's how Surya Bonaly and Elena Sokolova got to be world champions.

Oh, wait...

;)

Kristi won Olympic gold because she had a 3z3t.

Surya and Elena Sokolova. Not many people are crying wuzrobbed over those two, except themselves.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I sure hope so. But sometimes it seems that judges inflate the PCS to compensate for 3-3s of lesser difficulty. Tuk definitely deserves higher PCS, but I'm still thinking under the 6.0 system where 3z-3t's were more highly rewarded.

What do you think she has done to deserve higher PCS? Her PCS at Euros was 68 points, which is pretty substantial considering that she hasn't really improved her choreo/skating skills - her consistency, confidence and performance has improved though over the season. But she doesn't deserve 70+ PCS (nobody in the current field does at this point).

BlackPack

Medalist
What do you think she has done to deserve higher PCS? Her PCS at Euros was 68 points, which is pretty substantial considering that she hasn't really improved her choreo/skating skills - her consistency, confidence and performance has improved though over the season. But she doesn't deserve 70+ PCS (nobody in the current field does at this point).

GOEs? Better SS? Higher PCS than Radionova but not by much and in the end only 1-2 points separate them in Euros. Sky-high PCS in the realm of Kostner or Yuna, definitely not.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Kristi won Olympic gold because she had a 3z3t.

I think she won because she made fewer mistakes than her competitors and had good overall quality. Given how everyone else skated over those two nights, she would have won gold without that combination.

Yes, if everyone had skated their very best in both programs, she likely wouldn't have won without it. But not because judges valued that particular combination so much higher than speed and high jumps and triple axels, or edge quality or body line and musicality, etc., etc. It's only one element.

As witnessed by examples of other skaters who did stand up on it and lost to better all-around skaters with less jump content.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
GOEs? Better SS? Higher PCS than Radionova but not by much and in the end only 1-2 points separate them in Euros. Sky-high PCS in the realm of Kostner or Yuna, definitely not.

I don't think her SS have improved significantly compared to the start of the season. And GOEs are their own separate score from PCS... but she does deserve slightly higher PCS than Radionova (at least in the FS... IMO Radionova has a more interesting/intricate SP). Bear in mind that last season, her PCS wasn't even clearing 60 points... so to be at 68 at this point is quite admirable. I just don't think she deserves much higher (Radionova too) because they're artistically not that much superior to the rest of the field, even if both are clearly technically superior.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't think her SS have improved significantly compared to the start of the season. And GOEs are their own separate score from PCS... but she does deserve slightly higher PCS than Radionova (at least in the FS... IMO Radionova has a more interesting/intricate SP). Bear in mind that last season, her PCS wasn't even clearing 60 points... so to be at 68 at this point is quite admirable. I just don't think she deserves much higher (Radionova too) because they're artistically not that much superior to the rest of the field, even if both are clearly technically superior.

Yes... and I think the scores in Euros reflect that Tuk has better PCS but not by much. Tuk really just edged for the gold. It was really close.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Her presentation is nice but she doesn't command your attention as much as Elena or Ashley (although Liza's SS are better). Basically everyone competing this year has a substantial weaknesses, so I'd say no one deserves 70+ also.