Emilea Zingas & Vadym Kolesnik | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emilea Zingas & Vadym Kolesnik

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
American Championships Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwBpYzfUmv0

Emilea and Vadym finished 4th out of 14 in the FD, with a score of 119.95. This meant that they dropped to 4th place overall, with a score of 198.13.

@moonvine is right. They were simply amazing. It was magical to watch. I know I am not an expert, but that performance looked faultless to me.

Thank you for giving them your unicorn, @moonvine. It is a very appropriate choice, given how they came charging out of no-where at the start of this season. Although, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't get more gifts. Because they certainly deserved them.

Looking at the Protocols, it is remarkable. Emilea and Vadym at Sectionals was the first time I had ever seen any of my kids get a set of Judges marks in the Short where there was nothing lower than +2.00. But this was the first time I had seen it happen in the Free.

I honestly don't know what to say.

Emilea and Vadym finished the FD 1.13 points ahead of 3rd position, Christina CARREIRA (SC Of New York) / Anthony PONOMARENKO (SC Of San Francisco), and 5.95 points ahead of 5th position, Katarina WOLFKOSTIN (Peninsula SC) / Jeffrey CHEN (Peninsula SC).

Overall, Emilea and Vadym were 0.32 points behind 3rd position, Carreira / Ponomarenko, and 8.29 points ahead of 5th position, Emily BRATTI (Washington FSC) / Ian SOMERVILLE (Washington FSC).

Boys, but that was close! :drama:

Under normal circumstances, I would be getting really excited about how well they performed. But, my delight with how they got on is tinged with sadness that they won't be going to Worlds. We all know that if they were representing either of their homelands that their scores this season would guarantee them tickets to Saitama. But, they've made their bed, so that ship has sailed. (Apologies for mixing metaphors).

Although Emilea and Vadym were only a whisker off a medal, we also have to keep in mind that Kaitlin HAWAYEK (Detroit SC) / Jean-Luc BAKER (Seattle SC) withdrew before the event started. So, although Emilea and Vadym were one of 4 partnerships that are a level above everybody else at this year's Nationals, in reality there are 5 partnerships in this bracket. And unless something happens to one or more of these partnerships in subsequent Nationals (retirement, splitting, injuries), it is going to continue to be difficult for Emilea and Vadym to get selected for the Majors if they are off the podium, as they don't have the same political clout as the other 4 partnerships.

If they want to get selected for the Majors, Emilea and Vadym are going to have to comprehensively beat at least 2 of the other 4 top partnerships. Fortunately, their debut season has shown that they can hit the ground running, and progress very quickly. So, if they continue this progress and start beating some of the established top partnerships on a regular basis, they are capable of putting the Fed in a position where they can't say "no" to them.

And I really hope they do it soon, because with their talent, they really should be at the Majors this season.

:cheer: WELL DONE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
@CaroLiza_fan they did receive a pewter medal (that weird American thing)

Ah, I forgot all about those. :palmf: :slink:

Well, that makes me feel better, that they did get something for their efforts.

And sorry if my post was rather downbeat towards the end. I know I am biased, but it does really upset me that they are not going to be competing at the Majors. They are a world class partnership. And the rest of the world deserves to see them.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, I forgot all about those. :palmf: :slink:

Well, that makes me feel better, that they did get something for their efforts.

And sorry if my post was rather downbeat towards the end. I know I am biased, but it does really upset me that they are not going to be competing at the Majors. They are a world class partnership. And the rest of the world deserves to see them.

CaroLiza_fan
There are many who sat up and took notice!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That Zingas/ Kolesnik placed third after the RD (albeit in the absence of top team, Hawayek/ Baker) is a huge accomplishment. No matter how talented a team is, politically it's very hard to get recognized right out of the gate. Of course, also in their favor are Kolesnik's past record of medal-winning excellence, and coach Shpilband's political savvy, influence, and coaching expertise.

Lili1122

Rinkside
Benoit Richaud posted an IG story of him with Vadym today. And Vadym posted a story of him and Emilea at Newark airport - sorry for the oversize post, since they're stories, i had to find another source to show here- i can delete if it's too big

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That Zingas/ Kolesnik placed third after the RD (albeit in the absence of top team, Hawayek/ Baker) is a huge accomplishment. No matter how talented a team is, politically it's very hard to get recognized right out of the gate. Of course, also in their favor are Kolesnik's past record of medal-winning excellence, and coach Shpilband's political savvy, influence, and coaching expertise.

It's the way that Ice Dance is so political, particularly in North America, that has always concerned me about them. Whether we like it or not, so much is based on reputation. As you say, it is always difficult for a new partnership to get themselves established within the system. And then to get enough clout to challenge the established top partnerships for assignments.

That is why I never understood their decision to represent America rather than Cyprus. Because if they had gone down that route, there would have been no need to worry about politics and reputation. They would have been guaranted the regular international assignments they deserve from the off. But, that is all old ground.

They are a very good, exciting new partnership, and they have a very good, experienced team around them. It may take them longer than if they took a different route, but I'm sure their talent will get them there in the end.

Benoit Richaud posted an IG story of him with Vadym today. And Vadym posted a story of him and Emilea at Newark airport - sorry for the oversize post, since they're stories, i had to find another source to show here- i can delete if it's too big

Oh, no. Please don't delete. It's nice to see something colourful in the thread, rather than my dreary posts! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ LOL. Interesting. Is it Vadym hinting about Benoit doing their choreo, and questioning whether B has done ice dance choreo before? Hmm... 🤔 Any choreographer worth their salt can work in all fs disciplines, and in dance off-ice disciplines too, for that matter. Altho' some may prefer particular disciplines over others.

Former ice dancers have brought great vigor and creativity to pairs choreo. It'd be interesting to see what Benoit can do for ice dancers, and for pairs skaters too. 👍

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That is why I never understood their decision to represent America rather than Cyprus. Because if they had gone down that route, there would have been no need to worry about politics and reputation.
Well, the fact is, Vadym is probably already a U.S. citizen, and U.S. fed would not have easily released him. I believe Emilea is also born in the U.S., but she has Cyprus ancestry, right? It would likely have been a whole slog for Ukrainian U.S. citizen, Vadym, to get Cyprus citizenship. And maybe funding and residency were also issues? Even if they chose to represent Cyprus, they would still have trained in the U.S. with Shpilband, who is responsible for bringing them together.

Again, U.S. fed invested a lot in Vadym, so I'm pretty sure they have been eager to hold onto him, and probably closely monitored his new partner search. They would likely not have easily released him to skate for Cyprus. Also, again, how much funding can Cyprus provide for an ice dance team?

In ice dance, AFAIK, there's always a need to be concerned about reputation and politics, on the level of both your fed's clout and your coach's clout and stature.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, the fact is, Vadym is probably already a U.S. citizen, and U.S. fed would not have easily released him. I believe Emilea is also born in the U.S., but she has Cyprus ancestry, right? It would likely have been a whole slog for Ukrainian U.S. citizen, Vadym, to get Cyprus citizenship. And maybe funding and residency were also issues? Even if they chose to represent Cyprus, they would still have trained in the U.S. with Shpilband, who is responsible for bringing them together.

Again, U.S. fed invested a lot in Vadym, so I'm pretty sure they have been eager to hold onto him, and probably closely monitored his new partner search. They would likely not have easily released him to skate for Cyprus. Also, again, how much funding can Cyprus provide for an ice dance team?

In ice dance, AFAIK, there's always a need to be concerned about reputation, and politics on the level of both your fed's clout and your coach's clout and stature.

Yeah, you're right on all counts. I'm just bitter and twisted. :laugh:

Emilea does indeed have Cypriot ancestry. I would love to know whereabouts on the island her family was originally from, but haven't been able to find that out as yet. (You see, I have a friend who is a big figure skating fan and is originally from Cyprus, and for a long time I have been trying to work out who would be her local skater. I'm nearly sure that Marilena will turn out to be the answer, as her family's village is 20 miles from my friend's family's village. But I can't say for sure because I don't know where Emilea's family is from. For all I know, they may be even closer).

As all the partnerships training in Montréal show, just because you are training in a particular country doesn't mean you have to represent that country. But, as you say, the American Fed invested a lot in Vadym when he was with Avonley. They mightn't want to see another country benefit from their efforts. Let's face it, they probably feel short-changed due to Avonley and Vadym having so much success, and then splitting so soon afterwards. I know that is how I felt when they split, and I was just somebody that liked them skating.

Funding is a good point. I honestly don't know whether the CSF have enough funding to cover a top level Senior Ice Dance partnership on top of a top level Junior Ice Dance partnership and Singles skaters that they already have. They have had two top level Ice Dance partnerships before, but that was two partnerships at Advanced Novice level. I'm sure that Junior and Senior partnerships would incur higher costs.

You know, now that you have got me thinking about these aspects, I'm starting to think more that going down the American route does have benefits. Even though it does mean a tougher fight to get onto the international scene.

I'm just so invested in the Cypriot skaters that I'm sad when they go elsewhere. Especially when that somewhere is crowded.

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
hinting about Benoit doing their choreo, and questioning whether B has done ice dance choreo before?
One of the things I learned doing the Junior Worlds rewatch was that Benoit was an ice dancer finishing in the Top 10 at Junior Worlds with two different partners - Élodie Brouiller and Terra Findlay

I look forward to a new and different look.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
One of the things I learned doing the Junior Worlds rewatch was that Benoit was an ice dancer
Right, that too! I knew about Benoit having been an ice dancer, but I didn't recall it when I posted my comments. I suppose Kolesnik was being tongue-in-cheek.

Lili1122

Rinkside
that post about Benoit and Z/K is reblogged from tumblr (the originals were instagram stories which disappear after a day) so the question about whether Benoit had done ice dance choreo before was from the tumblr blog. Benoit posted the picture of him with Vadym.

and Vadym has now posted confirmation that they worked in NJ with Benoit on their programs

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, after being so strongly against their decision to represent America rather than Cyprus or the Ukraine for so long, events of the past few days have now convinced me that it was the right move.

Firstly, the point that @BlissfulSynergy made above about whether a small Fed would have enough funding to support a top level Senior Ice Dance partnership as well as their existing skaters.

Secondly, the news that the Belorussian Fed is demanding 25 Grand to release Ivan Desyatov so that he can partner up with Isabella Flores for America. Frankly, if the USFS made similar demands for Vadym's services, I don't think that the Cypriot or Ukrainian Feds would be able to afford it on top of the aforementioned cost of supporting them. And even if they could, I do not think they should pay it! It would be highly unfair if a small Fed had to fork out that sort of money to one of the biggest Feds. Especially, in the Cypriot case, as it is so that they can hold onto their own athlete. Or, in the Ukrainian case, as it is so that they can get back their own athlete.

Picking up on the Ukrainian side of things, if the USFS was looking 25 Grand to release Vadym, and the CSF was looking 25 Grand to release Emilea, that would mean that the UFSF would have to fork out 50 Grand for both of them. Given that the country is currently a warzone, it is not realistic to expect a Ukrainian organisation to come up with that sort of money.

Thirdly, I watched the film "Olga" (2021) last night. It is about a gymnast with a Ukrainian mother and a Swiss father. Without giving too much away, it is 2013, her Mum is a journalist, and so it is not safe for Olga to remain at home. So, she moves to Switzerland. Olga wants to go the full hog and get Swiss citizenship, but her Mum is against it because the Ukraine doesn't allow duel citizenship. The career of a gymnast is short, and she was thinking about what it would mean for Olga's life after her sporting career is over.

If this is indeed the case, then I totally understand why Emilea and Vadym didn't take the Ukrainian route. When he started down the American route with Avonley, Vadym presumably made the decision to give up his Ukrainian citizenship for his career. Getting it back may not be easy. Plus, if they wanted to go to the Olympics, it would mean that Emilea would have to give up both her American and Cypriot citizenship. That is a lot to ask of somebody. Too much, in fact.

It would be easy enough for Vadym to get Cypriot citizenship. But, when they both have ties to America, why bother going through the paperwork?

It may have taken to the end of their debut season together, but I now accept that choosing to represent America was the right decision. Even if I still don't like the implications it has.

Don't worry, this is my last post about this. It's time now to look forward to the great things that I am sure will come courtesy of this partnership.

CaroLiza_fan

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes, when we love particular skaters, we want the best for them always. But, we can't make decisions for them from our sidelines vantage point. I guess it's possible to dm or reach out to our faves when we have ideas, or simply want to wish them well. They, their coaches, and their closest inner circle, are best equipped to make the informed choices necessary to advance their careers. Even then, the journey in life and in figure skating is never a simple, straight, smooth, or easy path.

Thanks for your honest refections @CaroLiza_fan 🙌

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, after being so strongly against their decision to represent America rather than Cyprus or the Ukraine for so long, events of the past few days have now convinced me that it was the right move.

Firstly, the point that @BlissfulSynergy made above about whether a small Fed would have enough funding to support a top level Senior Ice Dance partnership as well as their existing skaters.

Secondly, the news that the Belorussian Fed is demanding 25 Grand to release Ivan Desyatov so that he can partner up with Isabella Flores for America. Frankly, if the USFS made similar demands for Vadym's services, I don't think that the Cypriot or Ukrainian Feds would be able to afford it on top of the aforementioned cost of supporting them. And even if they could, I do not think they should pay it! It would be highly unfair if a small Fed had to fork out that sort of money to one of the biggest Feds. Especially, in the Cypriot case, as it is so that they can hold onto their own athlete. Or, in the Ukrainian case, as it is so that they can get back their own athlete.

Picking up on the Ukrainian side of things, if the USFS was looking 25 Grand to release Vadym, and the CSF was looking 25 Grand to release Emilea, that would mean that the UFSF would have to fork out 50 Grand for both of them. Given that the country is currently a warzone, it is not realistic to expect a Ukrainian organisation to come up with that sort of money.
The Fed is paying nothing. Ivan and Isabella have to come up with it all, which last I looked they had gotten almost half.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Emilea and Vadym with Daisuke Takahashi at Novi:

I am so jealous of Vadym right now. Emilea on one side and Daisuke on the other!

What an honour for them to share the ice with the legend that is Daisuke Takahshi. I hope they made the most of this opportunity and were able to get lots of advice and tips from him.

Hopefully we will be able to see some of that Takahashi magic in their new programmes. Oh, I really hope they are doing some of the summer competitions, because after seeing that photo, I don't want to have to wait until the autumn to see them in action!

Thank you for sharing the photo with us, @synesthesia. And thank you for sharing all those other photos of Daisuke Takahashi on your flickr account. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States