Eteri Tutberidze to became a mentor in a weight loss reality show | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze to became a mentor in a weight loss reality show

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know people hate Eteri but this is too much. We're talking 241kg people. Losing any weight is better than another day putting this strain on their heart.
Not really. If you lose it too quickly it puts a different strain on your heart. I think the most important thing is to keep moving. If you lose your mobility things get much more difficult very quickly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably. But a model or actress or whatever is NOT coaching young kids as their main trade.
If Eteri wants to quit coaching figure skating and become a TV star, then you have a point.
That is such an excellent idea Let her become a TV star, leave the kids alone.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Diana Delafield said

"Sorry, I'm baffled by the math here. Is that a typo for 241 lbs? Because 241 kg = 531 lbs. According to this study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nim.nih.gov/34264558 about the prevalence of obesity in Russia, a BMI of over 30 would be considered obese, and that the majority of females who fell into this category in their study were middle-aged women in rural areas, not teenage girls in cities. Say the woman was my height, 163 cm, then a BMI of 30 would be about 79.3 kg or 175 lbs. (My BMI is 19, but that's not relevant here, just shows the range the authors of the study used.)
How many girls weighing 531 lbs are they going to be able to find for the show? That's the size of someone you read about who has to be taken to the hospital, so firefighters have to break down an outer wall of a house to winch the person out of bed and onto a reinforced truck for transport, because they couldn't get out of bed and couldn't fit through the doorway of their bedroom. (I know the whole BMI idea has its detractors, but it was used in the Russian paper and I was using the numbers to extrapolate poundage or kilograms.)
Just curious about the numbers, in an academic sort of way. "

There's a US show called "My 600 Pound Life" which my sister used to watch. It's super exploitative. But usually if you're 531 you don't need the door to be broken down. That's more towards the 700-800 lb range. And every single one of these people has been sexually molested. They need a LOT of therapy in addition to medically supervised weight loss. What they would not need would be Eteri.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well having read some of this all I can say is I'm really glad I don't give a fig what anyone thinks of me!:)