European Skating 2021-22 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

European Skating 2021-22 Season

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She totally deserved higher PCS, although they went lenient on some of her jumps, some of them she had to fight for. But that FS 3Lo was a work of art!

I actually think Georgia has a real shot at team medal. They have good singles skaters, strong ice dance team and a very decent pair. If all of them deliver, I don’t think Chinese or Italian or French team will be able to beat them. Despite having strong ice dance and singles men (Fr) or Pair and singles men (Ch), they all have at least 1-2 big weaknesses, while Georgian team with addition of Nastia is looking like it doesn’t have a glaring weak spot. Crossing my fingers for team Georgia medal!
I don't think France even qualified for the team event and China and Italy aren't in the running for a team medal it's Canada and Japan they will have to beat.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
So, do you think this could hasten Gubanova's chances at citizenship/Olympics? How awesome that would be. Imagine, after being ignored by Russia the whole last four years, and now she's going to the Olympics! Good for her!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She already has it.

I don't think it's such a brilliant thing for Alina Urushadze.
Well that just means Alina Urushadze should get to work on her skating. Gubanova is only a year older, and Alina has only been to Worlds once. It's not like Gubanova is going in and displacing a Georgian skater who has represented Georgia for eons. If Alina wants to go to the Olympics, she'll have to actually earn it now.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Well that just means Alina Urushadze should get to work on her skating. Gubanova is only a year older, and Alina has only been to Worlds once. It's not like Gubanova is going in and displacing a Georgian skater who has represented Georgia for eons. If Alina wants to go to the Olympics, she'll have to actually earn it now.
It depends. Gubanova's addition to the Georgian team during the Olympic season might well affect Urushadze's mentality. Before this, there was no one else. Now, there's someone who was once a top class Russian junior and has more competitive experience for having skated in the deep fields at Nationals.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It depends. Gubanova's addition to the Georgian team during the Olympic season might well affect Urushadze's mentality. Before this, there was no one else. Now, there's someone who was once a top class Russian junior and has more competitive experience for having skated in the deep fields at Nationals.
But I don't see the problem? Alina is even only doing the junior grand prix this season. If she wants to go to Senior Olympics, well, it's not going to be a cakewalk anymore. She's a very good and solid skater. Gubanova will still have to earn it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
She already has it.

I don't think it's such a brilliant thing for Alina Urushadze.
I agree. On the other hand Gubanova could gain two spots for Georgia at Europeans and even at worlds.
Urushadze gained the spot at the olympics for Georgia. While it is true in the top sport you have to be competitive with anyone, I can understand if she would feel down about the fact that she did her best in faith "I want myself at the olympics" and then realizing "it was for someone else."

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I don't think France even qualified for the team event and China and Italy aren't in the running for a team medal it's Canada and Japan they will have to beat.
Canada and Japan will be harder to beat now that I think about it, but Canada doesn’t have a strong girl and Japan an ID team.
Hm, will be interesting how scores add up, but Georgia certainly has a shot with Nastia in their team. If she skates well enough, I can see her earn enough scores to beat another team.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Alina Urushadze used to compete for Latvia where she was born and was coached by Angelina Kuchvalska's coach. She may now really regret her switch...
I Youtubed Alina from her jgp earlier this season, and she has really good skills. So I was also perplexed that she switched from her native Latvia to skate for Georgia. So really, in terms of feeling sorry for her, I see it as Urushadze 'pulled a Gubanova' two years before Gubanova to get an easier shot to the Olympics. She's not Georgian, just like Gubanova. May the best skater between them win and gain all the spoils. It's not a "poor Alina" moment where Gubanova could "rob" her of her rightful Olympic spot. Alina is a country hopper too. And younger, and not as good.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Maybe team Georgia has more funding and opportunities available to skaters? Alina has been able to attend many competitions since switching and is still junior eligible until 2023.
Alina still managed to secure an Olympic spot on her own; together with Gubanova maybe they can both go to the same Olympics in future!

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I Youtubed Alina from her jgp earlier this season, and she has really good skills. So I was also perplexed that she switched from her native Latvia to skate for Georgia. So really, in terms of feeling sorry for her, I see it as Urushadze 'pulled a Gubanova' two years before Gubanova to get an easier shot to the Olympics. She's not Georgian, just like Gubanova. May the best skater between them win and gain all the spoils. It's not a "poor Alina" moment where Gubanova could "rob" her of her rightful Olympic spot. Alina is a country hopper too. And younger, and not as good.
Well, I suppose this is a fair point.

Roast Toast

Medalist
S/D defeated H/K by a hair at their first head to head competition of the season. Did you guys agree with the result? Which team do you want at the Olys?

readernick

Medalist
S/D defeated H/K by a hair at their first head to head competition of the season. Did you guys agree with the result? Which team do you want at the Olys?
Usually, I'm more team H/K because Sara is just amazing. However, I prefer S/D's programs this year. So, I'm team S/D.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Urushadze is a Georgian surname so I assume she has at least one Georgian parent. So it's more like the case of Alexia Paganini competing for Switzerland.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I watched the two sets of programs... Disliked all of them immensely. So I guess my answer is "I don't care". 😓

Leocadia

On the Ice
I agree with the result, though I think S/D should have beaten H/K by a little more (I thought the judges were a bit generous to H/K in the RD).

I like both teams but this season I think Smart/Diaz have better programs, so I guess I’d prefer to see them at the Olympics.

Country
Israel
Anybody a bit worried about Olga Mikutina from Austria? It looks like she doesn't participate in any competition till NHK... from her instagram I gather she is happy and healthy so I don't think it's injury (thank god), but I hope she is preparing well for her grand prix debut because having a grand prix as a first event of the year and as a newcomer sounds a bit daring