Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1435 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Fluture

Record Breaker
Hopefully she takes this quarantine more seriously than the one she completed in Canada, or rather didn't complete since she was out and about getting her hair cut and posting pictures from craft stores.

“On March 25th, 2020, an Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act was implemented that requires any person entering Canada by air, sea or land to quarantine (self-isolate) themselves for 14 days whether or not they have symptoms of COVID-19.“

March 25th. Zhenya returned from the US more than 10 days earlier. If the information above is correct, she could NOT have known that she was required to self-quarantine because the regulations were not set in place yet. However, after the 25th, she was NOT seen outside, nor did she post anything that could make you think that and spent her time at home.

So, I don’t get how Zhenya should have known ten days in advance what kind of regulations the Canadian government would pass but whatever, I guess?

This is where I got my information from:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221

Unless I misunderstood something - or the information is somehow incorrect - I don‘t think your accusations are warranted.

Rexarcadia

On the Ice
Zhenya clearly had her reasons for going to Japan - it sounds like it may not have been by choice - but it's not really our place to speculate. She's a smart woman and I trust that she knows what's best for her and her family. I think as her long-time fans, we owe her that trust. I'm not worried about her because she's shown herself to be very capable of making the best of any situation.

kwalker

Rinkside
The Canadian government had been recommending that people self-isolate for the 14 days well before March 25th after arriving back in Canada from international travel. They enacted the Quarantine Act because people had not been following their recommendations and the Act made it mandatory and a punishable offense if not followed. I'm not saying she was the only one guilty of this or that the enacted it because of her, or even that she will be punished somehow. What I'm saying is that it was made mandatory because A LOT of people were not following the recommendations.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes, the Olympics were canceled. No, no one knows why Evgenia traveled to Japan. People suspect it is because of reasons in her contract as the show wasn‘t yet officially canceled and she might have been required to fly over to Japan. She made the decision to post it online to prevent rumors from spreading but from the wording of her post it is obvious that she knows this is not the right thing to do. Because people kept speculating and accusing her she now posted a follow-up message, basically saying that you should stay at home if you get that chance because she didn‘t get it. So, no, according to what she shared with the public, she doesn‘t believe it‘s the best move possible, she believes it is the ONLY move for her and her mother‘s safety. For some reason, she cannot stay in Canada and probably cannot return to Russia either. Why? We don‘t know that and given the hate she had to endure the last few days, there will be a very good reason for her not to share it.

I wish these constant speculations would stop. I am NOT happy with the situation either and wish she would just stay put. I do NOT think traveling right now is good and I do NOT think it is right for Zhenya or anybody to do so. But I understand that she might have had reasons why it was necessary for her that go beyond our understanding and are private and I respect that. I think it‘s fine to worry about her but I‘d rather not read any accusations in her own fanfest. I‘m sure there are many places out there but this is not it.

Your second paragraph says it all. Your NOT being happy with the situation is understandable. It is hard not to speculate since it's such a deep Russian mystery. But I won't say another thing about the situation with Zhenya or Sasha who is taking a beating over her trip to Egypt and roller skating in public while under quarantine. Maybe someday we can just talk figure skating again.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The Canadian government had been recommending that people self-isolate for the 14 days well before March 25th (and before Zhenya returned to Canada) after arriving back in Canada from international travel. They enacted the Quarantine Act because people like Zhenya had not been following their recommendations and the Act made it mandatory and a punishable offense if not followed.

Whaaaaaaaat? Are you saying Zhenya could face punishment when she returns to Canada? I don't think it will come to that. She saw a very slim opportunity to go to Japan and she took it. I will leave it at that.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Whaaaaaaaat? Are you saying Zhenya could face punishment when she returns to Canada? I don't think it will come to that. She saw a very slim opportunity to go to Japan and she took it. I will leave it at that.

No. She cannot face punishment because she did nothing illegal. Unless she were to return to Canada NOW and not follow the self-quarantine regulations. As respectfully as possible: read the posts again, will you?

To kwalker: I sincerely don‘t know what you‘re trying to prove or why you‘re choosing a FANFEST of all places, to accuse Zhenya. She left the house twice, to get a haircut and do her shopping. With a mask and gloves on, mind you, so clearly taking care. Otherwise she stayed inside. She did this while the quarantine was NOT MANDATORY, as soon as it was, she didn‘t leave the house anymore.

She certainly is no superhuman or above making mistakes, I think even as fans we know that. You’re right that she probably shouldn‘t have left the house AT ALL, but I really do not see your point of coming here to act as if she “wasn‘t taking the quarantine seriously“. Again: her “terrible offenses“ account to doing her shopping and getting a haircut all while it was still allowed and ceasing these activities as soon as they were not. All while wearing a mask and gloves and being careful

Unless she does something more grave, I think there‘s no need to act like she was an idiot or a criminal. If she were to disregard her quarantine in Japan and be seen strolling around the city, by any means, criticize her. I would not join you but I would be very disappointed indeed. But so far, I don’t think there’s any reason to act like this. That’s exactly how rumors spread because people like Scott will misunderstand and interpret the words wrongly.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Also, I really wish we could go back to what this place was: a fanfest. Zhenya, as any human being, is not above criticism but these last pages have been filled with speculations and even accusations and it‘s annoying me to no end.

Let‘s just enjoy these pictures of Zhenya and Brian at Rostelecom instead:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-pN2uFpslb/?igshid=1fid59ozcqg13

Also: Has this interview even been posted yet? Sorry if I‘ve missed it. I really like what she‘s saying there about how being herself is important to her now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-m34PAJ3dg/?igshid=ksw4h3yqu5ra

kwalker

Rinkside

No I'm not saying that, the Act is saying that anyone who enters Canada after it was enacted on March 25th, and refuses the mandatory self isolation for the 14 days could be punished. I live in Canada, I have not heard of anyone being punished under the Act, but there's always a chance I could be wrong. What I am saying is Zhenya returned before self isolation was mandatory but it was still being highly recommended by the Canadian government before she returned to Toronto, in fact we closed our borders to people coming to Canada just a few days after she returned.

Sherkane

Rinkside
The Canadian government had been recommending that people self-isolate for the 14 days well before March 25th (and before Zhenya returned to Canada) after arriving back in Canada from international travel. They enacted the Quarantine Act because people like Zhenya had not been following their recommendations and the Act made it mandatory and a punishable offense if not followed.

The Canadian government enacted an act because of Zhenia? Wow, you really lost it.

Just take your judgmental opinion outside of this fanfest. This is a safe place for her fans to express their love. It does not look like you qualify anymore and you are ruining the mood.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe she returned on March 15th from California. And I believe California was not considered a hot spot. Also, she was wearing a mask on the plane, which she usually does even when not in a pandemic.
Now let's have this subject be closed.

Zhenya be safe. :pray:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Any idea how long she will stay in Japan? Living and training there for a couple of months until new Russian season starts? Will she have let go of her nice Toronto flat to cut on costs?

Many athletes in small sports live a sort of nomadic life, much like artists, dancers or any other professional in the entertainment business where steady contracts are scarce. Which is exciting and adventurous of course, but offers little economic stability.

Let's hope Yevgeniya keeps us updated, it could be a commercial opening for her while the rest of the world is still in lockdown.

Fluture

Record Breaker
The Canadian government enacted an act because of Zhenia? Wow, you really lost it.

Well, to be fair I’m sure that wasn‘t what was meant. It was very clear: “people LIKE Zhenya“, so not obviously Zhenya exclusively. But I still don‘t like the ring of it, it makes her sound like someone who intentionally disrespects the rules because they think they‘re above them. When what we‘ve seen from Zhenya so far is not that at all, wearing gloves and masks and stuff to protect others. We don‘t know why she went to Japan but she worded it in a way that made it very clear that she didn‘t have much choice and she would have preferred not to make the trip.

I think we can all love and appreciate Zhenya here and I don‘t want to tell anyone to leave. Also, I don’t think there’s need to attack others. But it sure would be nice if, when criticizing, the tone didn‘t sound so accusatory, especially since there‘s more places than not where Zhenya‘s getting criticized (mostly unfairly) anyway and this is one of the last safe places for fans...

Placebo11

On the Ice

Just take your judgmental opinion outside of this fanfest. This is a safe place for her fans to express their love. It does not look like you qualify anymore and you are ruining the mood.

:thumbsup:
@ Kwalker: This is Evgenia's fanfest so please stop judging her!

Fluture

Record Breaker
Let‘s talk something else. This is usually the time to discuss costumes and competitions for the next season but since everything‘s so uncertain right now..

Let‘s just do costumes instead. What do you think? We know her music choices already. I would say something bright and lively for the FS and something a bit more dark and dramatic for the SP. Maybe a bit similar to the first Anna Karenina dress (the black one)?

kwalker

Rinkside
To kwalker: I sincerely don‘t know what you‘re trying to prove or why you‘re choosing a FANFEST of all places, to accuse Zhenya. She left the house twice, to get a haircut and do her shopping. With a mask and gloves on, mind you, so clearly taking care. Otherwise she stayed inside. She did this while the quarantine was NOT MANDATORY, as soon as it was, she didn‘t leave the house anymore.

She certainly is no superhuman or above making mistakes, I think even as fans we know that. You’re right that she probably shouldn‘t have left the house AT ALL, but I really do not see your point of coming here to act as if she “wasn‘t taking the quarantine seriously“. Again: her “terrible offenses“ account to doing her shopping and getting a haircut all while it was still allowed and ceasing these activities as soon as they were not. All while wearing a mask and gloves and being careful

Unless she does something more grave, I think there‘s no need to act like she was an idiot or a criminal. If she were to disregard her quarantine in Japan and be seen strolling around the city, by any means, criticize her. I would not join you but I would be very disappointed indeed. But so far, I don’t think there’s any reason to act like this. That’s exactly how rumors spread because people like Scott will misunderstand and interpret the words wrongly.

Just because something isn't mandatory doesn't mean it wasn't irresponsible to not follow the government's recommendations. It's not just Zhenya, there are so many people in Canada not following the the self-isolation post travel and stay at home orders. But the problem is Zhenya is an international star and should be setting an example for people who look up to her. And as someone formerly in healthcare, with family and friends still on the frontlines, the type of mask Zhenya is wearing (which has to be fitted to your face to ensure it's effectiveness) should be reserved for healthcare workers dealing with actual COVID patients and not worn to craft stores and on planes. They are in very short supply in Canada right now, especially with the US blocking them from being shipped to us, and it's a bit of a waste as that mask is too high level to be worn in everyday life.

So while I may love what Zhenya does on the ice and generally what she shares about her life to us fans, my opinion on this matter won't change.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any idea how long she will stay in Japan? Living and training there for a couple of months until new Russian season starts? Will she have let go of her nice Toronto flat to cut on costs?

Many athletes in small sports live the a sort of nomadic life, much like artists, dancers or any other professional in the entertainment business. Which is exciting and adventurous of course, but offers little economic stability.

The last 2 years, she has spent each year about 6-7 months in Canada, 2-3 months in Russia and 2-3 months in Japan. And every year for the past 5 years, she has spent at least a month in Japan. So being in Japan is not unusual.
Her apartment is probably on a one year lease.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let‘s talk something else. This is usually the time to discuss costumes and competitions for the next season but since everything‘s so uncertain right now..

Let‘s just do costumes instead. What do you think? We know her music choices already. I would say something bright and lively for the FS and something a bit more dark and dramatic for the SP. Maybe a bit similar to the first Anna Karenina dress (the black one)?

Let's please do this. And I wasted my 3000 post on unpleasantness. :(

I would love the sp to be like the black Anna Karenina dress, I love that dress.

mdl

On the Ice
Just because something isn't mandatory doesn't mean it wasn't irresponsible to not follow the government's recommendations. It's not just Zhenya, there are so many people in Canada not following the stay at home orders (which are different then the 14 day self isolation post travel). But the problem is Zhenya is an international star and should be setting an example for people who look up to her. And as someone formerly in healthcare, with family and friends still on the frontlines, the type of mask Zhenya is wearing (which has to be fitted to your face to ensure it's effectiveness) should be reserved for healthcare workers dealing with actual COVID patients and not worn to craft stores and on planes. They are in very short supply in Canada right now, especially with the US blocking them from being shipped to us, and it's a bit of a waste as that mask is too high level to be worn in everyday life.

So while I may love what Zhenya does on the ice and generally what she shares about her life to us fans, my opinion on this matter won't change.

wow..

not only seems that you have been counting each and every day and hour of Zhenya quarantine period, knowing, of course with certainty, the exact day of her return, dates of going "out and about", dates of breaking the recommendations, etc,
but now she guilty of type of mask she wears... really??

If such mask are in stores sold freely and at the same time scarce for the medical staff, you should in first place direct your government why this is allowed and no measurements are taken...But where is the guilt of a person going to the store and buying what is sold there? Or you think she stole it?

Dissecting each and every word,gesture, move, making insinuations, etc to be honest speaks for itself and resembles to me to some other forums and threads....

mdl

On the Ice

I would love the sp to be like the black Anna Karenina dress, I love that dress.

I also love that dress and I think the colour suit her really great :)

I have very high expectations on Masquerade, on top of everything it is also my favourite waltz and can't wait to see the program.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Isn't this the time of year when the skaters are on vacation or letting their hair down from a gruelling season? If the skaters are not skating for a few weeks here it won't be that bad for next season.