Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1455 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Rika and Evgenia are like Yuzuru and Javi. They will push each other in the sport, but they have different federations. I don't think Orser would have taken Rika, if it would upset Evgenia.
I think it will be good for both Rika and Evgenia.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I think Rika going to TCC will be good for Zhenya. Rika is a lady who knows hot to jump quads, it will motivate Zhenya a lot, I’m sure. And Zhenya will be good for Rika, as Rika is lacking the package, the costumes, the overall style. Rika needs to let go of the pony tail and get GOOD programs. She needs to start to let her personality shine, otherwise she won’t be able to beat Anna/Aliona/Sasha/Kamila by Beijing 2022. These Eteri girls are already loved by the public, Rika is a little more, as we would say in my country, “saltless”. She lacks that extra thing, the “it” thing, you know? I don’t know how to explain it in English, though.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think Rika and Evgenia are like Yuzuru and Javi. They will push each other in the sport, but they have different federations. I don't think Orser would have taken Rika, if it would upset Evgenia.
I think it will be good for both Rika and Evgenia.
It could be and should be good for both of them.
I think Rika going to TCC will be good for Zhenya. Rika is a lady who knows hot to jump quads, it will motivate Zhenya a lot, I’m sure. And Zhenya will be good for Rika, as Rika is lacking the package, the costumes, the overall style. Rika needs to let go of the pony tail and get GOOD programs. She needs to start to let her personality shine, otherwise she won’t be able to beat Anna/Aliona/Sasha/Kamila by Beijing 2022. These Eteri girls are already loved by the public, Rika is a little more, as we would say in my country, “saltless”. She lacks that extra thing, the “it” thing, you know? I don’t know how to explain it in English, though.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

What country are you in that you say saltless? That's an interesting word and description of Rika who is already elite.

Maybe having another elite lady skater there will be good for Zhenya and push her to new heights.

pandatours

On the Ice
Rika is a little more, as we would say in my country, “saltless”. She lacks that extra thing, the “it” thing, you know? I don’t know how to explain it in English, though.

I love the use of this word and I agree tbh. I think this is where Rika can learn some performance aspects from Evgenia. Rika is very hungry and while we know Evgenia is the same way, I agree that it will motivate both of them. I don't think Brian would have have agreed to this weird co-coaching arrangement if Evgenia was not fine with it. I also think Rika will be working mostly with Grislain anyway, while Brian has always very much been Evgenia's main coach. I don't think it will affect Evgenia in the same way Gogolev was affected. This whole season, if we even have one, will be kind of strange anyway

Maia96

On the Ice
I know this isn't Rika's fan fest, but since today's news about her could influence on Zhenya, I'm going to give my opinion.
I was very surprised by the news. She says she adds Orser as a second coach because she wants to improve her turns and steps and be able to land with confidence 4S and 4T because she wants gold in Beijing. So I don't understand what role Orser plays here, because if it's to improve her quads she could add a Gislan as a jump coach and if it's to improve turns and steps she could add Tracy for that. So why Orser? So it seems to me that it's more than that.

Now I'm going to refer to Zhenya who is what interests to me, trying to see how this situation can benefit or harm her. Today I have heard many opinions about the repercussions that this could have on Zhenya. Some people think that it will be beneficial for her and that it may be a similar situation as Yuzuru and Javier. Partly I agree and partly not. I think it may be beneficial for Zhenya in the sense that she will have direct competition with a strong opponent within her training base. Since she moved to TCC, I have been thinking that not having a strong female figure as a training mate that could make her rest a little and not progress in competitive matters. At the beginning it was good because she nedeed to adapt but in the second season I think it became more noticeable that it would be good that she could has a strong rival in training to push her to new heights. I was thinking of some Japanese or Korean girl, but never of Rika. And here where I consider that this situation isn't similar to the situation about Yuzuru and Javier and therefore it wouldn't be so beneficial for Zhenya. Javier was a skater from a country where figure skating is a minor sport, with a federation that supported him 100% and potentially with the aim of obtaining an Olympic medal but not necessarily the OGM. So the arrival of Yuzuru and the 2 Yuzuru OGM wouldn't affect him. Instead, Zhenya came to Orser as a star, coming from a country where figure skating is one of the most popular sports, aiming for the only gold missing, the Beijing Olympic Gold, then PyeongChang pain and with a federation that today clearly doesn't support her. So there are two completely different situations.

I truly believe that Rika has something to gain added to Orser as coach and Zhenya a lot to lose although I hope I'm wrong. Rika doesn't go to Orser to improve her technique because her technique is already very good or to add complexity. So I think Rika can benefit from Zhenya to improve her artistic side but I don't see how Zhenya can benefit from Rika. Zhenya isn't going to jump 3A because she sees Rika jump 3A. What will happen to Zhenya when she sees Rika jump perfect 3A and correct 3Lutz in front of her eyes? What will happen to Zhenya when she sees Rika land quads when she still hasn't been able to land it and we don't know if she will achieve? I'm not degrading Zhenya's ability and I'm not underestimating her either. I absolutely believe in her hard work but I'm afraid to think that maybe this affects her emotionally because of her background. I can't forget the story that took Zhenya to Orser. She tooks her country's figure skating forward, leading the world for almost 3 years and when she got injured before the most important competition, she has to see how in her own training camp, her coach and her federation started to help grow another skater. A younger, healthier and stronger skater to secure OGM. I don't discuss the victory of AZ because her performance was very good, she did what she considered she should do to win and the judges gave her the victory, although I consider that the result had to be different. If there is a lesson that PyeongChang left us, it's that Russia didn't need to push another skater to get that OGM because the result showed that Zhenya would have given Russia that OGM. Therefore, it was a victory for Russia but a personal disgrace for Zhenya.

It's clear that both Rika and Zhenya want OGM and it's also clear that it will be easier for Orser to get it with Rika. With Rika he has secured the way to get to the Games with Zhenya not even that. Zhenya has to get around the competition within her own country. There are only 3 places: ET has at least 3 students to fill those places and Plushenko wants a place too. If you look at it from the outside you would think that a catastrophe would have to happen in the Russian ladies' field so that Zhenya could get to Beijing. But in case Zhenya did indeed get in Beijing we could even perfectly see the repeat of PyeongChang's history. Can you imagine if this happened? If both Rika and Zhenya went to Beijing with the same coach and Rika win? Once again the story of how your coach decides to train a younger, stronger and healthier rival in front of your eyes and she beat you even if she's from a different federation. I know what I'm saying is an hypothetical fact, but after what we have been seeing these last two years I don't rule out anything and I won't be surprised if that could happen. And although Orser himself knows what it's to lose OGM twice in the hands of his main rival and although he will surely have consulted Zhenya about the arrival of Rika, there is something that makes noise. Of course, TCC has a healthy and non-toxic training environment like Khrustalny and has been very good for Zhenya. But the question of asking a skater what she/he think about the arrival of another skater to her/his training base to decide whether to accept that other skater or not seems just a formality. What skater would say to his/her coach "Don't accept such a skater because I would feel uncomfortable"? And if he/she did, and his/her coach decided not to accept the other skater, how would the relationship between the skater and his/her coach be after that? At least, that relationship would be worn out and the trust between one and the other would no longer be the same.

I understand that Orser also has his ambitions as a coach and isn't bad because after all is his work and to be honest Yuzuru and Zhenya are his two strong students names today. But how much time do they both have as competitive athletes? Yuzuru probably retire after Beijing and Zhenya, even if she gets Beijing, then her future is uncertain. And if she doesn't gets Beijing, she will probably retire. Because even if she wants to skate for a long time, in the coming years there will be no place in the Russian national team for a skater who only wants to skate for pleasure and doing a career similar to Carolina Kostner. As for Orser, there are still many years left as a coach and he will need strong new names to keeps his coach status and TCC status. Therefore, acquiring Rika without even having to teach her a correct technique is very beneficial to him. She's 17 years old and can still stay in competitive sport for a long time at the highest level.

Honestly, I only see that in this situation the beneficiaries will be Rika for what she can improve, Orser raising his status as a coach and even the same ET and the Russian federation because they have nothing to do to get Zhenya off the game if maybe Rika herself succeeded in destabilizing Zhenya emotionally. It's a round business for everyone except Zhenya. I wonder what Yuzuru would think if Orser decide to train Nathan. But that theme isn't for this fans fest. Although, I'm sure it wouldn't be comparable to the example of Yuzuru and Javier.

But we still have other minor competitions before Beijing, for example the Grand Prix. I wonder if both of them will compete together on the Canadian stage for example and how Zhenya could take an eventual victory of Rika now trained by Orser. Don't get me wrong, I love Rika and I trust that in competitions that Zhenya doesn't compete and Rika competes I encourage Rika. But my heart is with Zhenya, because of how she is as an athlete and as a person, for her history, her hard work, her fight and the injustices that she has happened without deserve it and that's why I care about her. I don't want that now that she had started to breathe this affects her because too much has already happened and she doesn't deserve it and also because a person have a fee of pain / betrayal / disappointment that a human being can endure in the life. That's not counting the criticism of the Russian media towards Zhenya when Rika beats her in eventual competitions. I can already see articles saying "You left Russia because you felt betrayed and now Orser betrayed you" and all accompanied by a new wave of hatred towards her.

In the meantime, I'm glad that we have proof, even a distant photo, that Zhenya has ice and is training in Japan. I'm scared though that the photo was taken in a private location, considering the level of Japanese stalkers who seem to be chasing her.

Finally, I want to apologize for this post. I swear I tried to make it shorter but I couldn't. I needed to let off steam and this is one of the few places where we can debate respectfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maia96. I agree with everything you wrote. I don't think it's fair that Orser took a direct rival. But I truly believe in Evgenia and I think she will just become even stronger.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
By this point, I don't think Zhenya still wants Beijing gold. Tbh, I think she knows it might be almost impossible for her to get to the national team by then. And I'm not hating on her, she's my favorite skater, but we have to realize what type of score she can get with a clean program without a quad -> 238 (her best score at 2018 Olympics). Her best score this season was 225. With a quad sal, she can get to 239 (with last season's score at Rostelecom) or 250 if she were in her 2018 Olympics years. Even if she gets 2 quad salchows, do you think the judges would give it to her or to Kamila/Aliona?

pandatours

On the Ice
We don’t really know how much time Rika will spend at TCC tbh. Their arrangement is very ambiguous and no matter what anyone says I think she will work on jumps with Grislain because she has the experience working with him, and Brian with skating skills (which imo she really needs)

I would also say that IMO Rika is not Evgenia’s direct rival. They have the same goal but are going through different stages of their career. At this point it’s everyone against 3A

Placebo11

On the Ice
I know this isn't Rika's fan fest, but since today's news about her could influence on Zhenya, I'm going to give my opinion.
I was very surprised by the news. She says she adds Orser as a second coach because she wants to improve her turns and steps and be able to land with confidence 4S and 4T because she wants gold in Beijing. So I don't understand what role Orser plays here, because if it's to improve her quads she could add a Ghislain as a jump coach and if it's to improve turns and steps she could add Tracy for that. So why Orser? So it seems to me that it's more than that.

Now I'm going to refer to Zhenya who is what interests to me, trying to see how this situation can benefit or harm her. Today I have heard many opinions about the repercussions that this could have on Zhenya. Some people think that it will be beneficial for her and that it may be a similar situation as Yuzuru and Javier. Partly I agree and partly not. I think it may be beneficial for Zhenya in the sense that she will have direct competition with a strong opponent within her training base. Since she moved to TCC, I have been thinking that not having a strong female figure as a training mate that could make her rest a little and not progress in competitive matters. At the beginning it was good because she nedeed to adapt but in the second season I think it became more noticeable that it would be good that she could has a strong rival in training to push her to new heights. I was thinking of some Japanese or Korean girl, but never of Rika. And here where I consider that this situation isn't similar to the situation about Yuzuru and Javier and therefore it wouldn't be so beneficial for Zhenya. Javier was a skater from a country where figure skating is a minor sport, with a federation that supported him 100% and potentially with the aim of obtaining an Olympic medal but not necessarily the OGM. So the arrival of Yuzuru and the 2 Yuzuru OGM wouldn't affect him. Instead, Zhenya came to Orser as a star, coming from a country where figure skating is one of the most popular sports, aiming for the only gold missing, the Beijing Olympic Gold, then PyeongChang pain and with a federation that today clearly doesn't support her. So there are two completely different situations.

I truly believe that Rika has something to gain added to Orser as coach and Zhenya a lot to lose although I hope I'm wrong. Rika doesn't go to Orser to improve her technique because her technique is already very good or to add complexity. So I think Rika can benefit from Zhenya to improve her artistic side but I don't see how Zhenya can benefit from Rika. Zhenya isn't going to jump 3A because she sees Rika jump 3A. What will happen to Zhenya when she sees Rika jump perfect 3A and correct 3Lutz in front of her eyes? What will happen to Zhenya when she sees Rika land quads when she still hasn't been able to land it and we don't know if she will achieve? I'm not degrading Zhenya's ability and I'm not underestimating her either. I absolutely believe in her hard work but I'm afraid to think that maybe this affects her emotionally because of her background. I can't forget the story that took Zhenya to Orser. She tooks her country's figure skating forward, leading the world for almost 3 years and when she got injured before the most important competition, she has to see how in her own training camp, her coach and her federation started to help grow another skater. A younger, healthier and stronger skater to secure OGM. I don't discuss the victory of AZ because her performance was very good, she did what she considered she should do to win and the judges gave her the victory, although I consider that the result had to be different. If there is a lesson that PyeongChang left us, it's that Russia didn't need to push another skater to get that OGM because the result showed that Zhenya would have given Russia that OGM. Therefore, it was a victory for Russia but a personal disgrace for Zhenya.

It's clear that both Rika and Zhenya want OGM and it's also clear that it will be easier for Orser to get it with Rika. With Rika he has secured the way to get to the Games with Zhenya not even that. Zhenya has to get around the competition within her own country. There are only 3 places: ET has at least 3 students to fill those places and Plushenko wants a place too. If you look at it from the outside you would think that a catastrophe would have to happen in the Russian ladies' field so that Zhenya could get to Beijing. But in case Zhenya did indeed get in Beijing we could even perfectly see the repeat of PyeongChang's history. Can you imagine if this happened? If both Rika and Zhenya went to Beijing with the same coach and Rika win? Once again the story of how your coach decides to train a younger, stronger and healthier rival in front of your eyes and she beat you even if she's from a different federation. I know what I'm saying is an hypothetical fact, but after what we have been seeing these last two years I don't rule out anything and I won't be surprised if that could happen. And although Orser himself knows what it's to lose OGM twice in the hands of his main rival and although he will surely have consulted Zhenya about the arrival of Rika, there is something that makes noise. Of course, TCC has a healthy and non-toxic training environment like Khrustalny and has been very good for Zhenya. But the question of asking a skater what she/he think about the arrival of another skater to her/his training base to decide whether to accept that other skater or not seems just a formality. What skater would say to his/her coach "Don't accept such a skater because I would feel uncomfortable"? And if he/she did, and his/her coach decided not to accept the other skater, how would the relationship between the skater and his/her coach be after that? At least, that relationship would be worn out and the trust between one and the other would no longer be the same.

I understand that Orser also has his ambitions as a coach and isn't bad because after all is his work and to be honest Yuzuru and Zhenya are his two strong students names today. But how much time do they both have as competitive athletes? Yuzuru probably retire after Beijing and Zhenya, even if she gets Beijing, then her future is uncertain. And if she doesn't gets Beijing, she will probably retire. Because even if she wants to skate for a long time, in the coming years there will be no place in the Russian national team for a skater who only wants to skate for pleasure and doing a career similar to Carolina Kostner. As for Orser, there are still many years left as a coach and he will need strong new names to keeps his coach status and TCC status. Therefore, acquiring Rika without even having to teach her a correct technique is very beneficial to him. She's 17 years old and can still stay in competitive sport for a long time at the highest level.

Honestly, I only see that in this situation the beneficiaries will be Rika for what she can improve, Orser raising his status as a coach and even the same ET and the Russian federation because they have nothing to do to get Zhenya off the game if maybe Rika herself succeeded in destabilizing Zhenya emotionally. It's a round business for everyone except Zhenya. I wonder what Yuzuru would think if Orser decide to train Nathan. But that theme isn't for this fans fest. Although, I'm sure it wouldn't be comparable to the example of Yuzuru and Javier.

But we still have other minor competitions before Beijing, for example the Grand Prix. I wonder if both of them will compete together on the Canadian stage for example and how Zhenya could take an eventual victory of Rika now trained by Orser. Don't get me wrong, I love Rika and I trust that in competitions that Zhenya doesn't compete and Rika competes I encourage Rika. But my heart is with Zhenya, because of how she is as an athlete and as a person, for her history, her hard work, her fight and the injustices that she has happened without deserve it and that's why I care about her. I don't want that now that she had started to breathe this affects her because too much has already happened and she doesn't deserve it and also because a person have a fee of pain / betrayal / disappointment that a human being can endure in the life. That's not counting the criticism of the Russian media towards Zhenya when Rika beats her in eventual competitions. I can already see articles saying "You left Russia because you felt betrayed and now Orser betrayed you" and all accompanied by a new wave of hatred towards her.

In the meantime, I'm glad that we have proof, even a distant photo, that Zhenya has ice and is training in Japan. I'm scared though that the photo was taken in a private location, considering the level of Japanese stalkers who seem to be chasing her.

Finally, I want to apologize for this post. I swear I tried to make it shorter but I couldn't. I needed to let off steam and this is one of the few places where we can debate respectfully.

I couldn't agree more!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've thought about this non-stop for the last 24 hours. And I want Maxim Kovtun to be her coach. He is her friend and he would have the time to work on jumps without the clock ticking and money being spent. CSKA is a great rink, and it's where she started.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I was very surprised by the news. She says she adds Orser as a second coach because she wants to improve her turns and steps and be able to land with confidence 4S and 4T because she wants gold in Beijing. So I don't understand what role Orser plays here, because if it's to improve her quads she could add a Gislan as a jump coach and if it's to improve turns and steps she could add Tracy for that. So why Orser? So it seems to me that it's more than that.

I agree with your amazing post and final analysis. The only one who benefits from this is Rika. Also great point if Brian took Nathan now. Yuzu would be rightfully pissed off.
Maia96. I agree with everything you wrote. I don't think it's fair that Orser took a direct rival. But I truly believe in Evgenia and I think she will just become even stronger.
It will either make Zhenya stronger or break her. And I don't see it breaking her.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think that a health competition would be good for zhenya.. she was use to it with eteri's nad maybe it's the push that she needs for get the 4

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think that a health competition would be good for zhenya.. she was use to it with eteri's nad maybe it's the push that she needs for get the 4
Your take is certainly possible and we have to hope it is.

But we need to know what Zhenya thinks about this. Fluture too.

Maia96

On the Ice
I agree with your amazing post and final analysis. The only one who benefits from this is Rika. Also great point if Brian took Nathan now. Yuzu would be rightfully pissed off.

It will either make Zhenya stronger or break her. And I don't see it breaking her.

Zhenya might say "You want competition Brian, so you'll have it." And then start to jumps quads and learn 3A. But let's be honest, how long can a body with incurable injuries compete in training against a younger, healthier and technically strong partner.

I also don't want to see her breaking again. She doesn't deserve to go through that again. Imagine after what happened to repeat the same story. Also, if after disappointment and great pain it's hard for anyone to trust someone again, imagine what it must be like for an athlete. She doesn't deserve to relive that and I wish it wouldn't happen. But I can't stop worrying about her.

Fluture

Record Breaker
But we need to know what Zhenya thinks about this. Fluture too.

Aw, now I feel honored. :laugh:

I haven‘t posted in here for a while but I‘ve meant to anyway and now that we have some actual news that are at least indirectly concerning Zhenya..

Of course I understand Maia‘s points very well - my brain too tends to have an automatic response of worrying whenever it comes to Evgenia, I guess it‘s a fan‘s duty or something.. :shrug:

However, I try to see the positive in this situation as well.

I‘m trying to word this very carefully so as to not offend anyone: one of the reasons I was happy when Zhenya announced her coaching change was Brian Orser‘s known approach focusing specifically on individual training for each athlete. Meaning, that unlike in Zhenya‘s previous team, direct rivals are NOT encouraged (and yes, even driven) to seek on-ice battles and turn every ice time into yet another full blown competition. Case in point the Olympics. Yuzu and Javi, too, were competing against each other and training in the same team. When Brian felt it was too much for one of the other, he separated them, coaching each one individually. This is different from being forced to watch your competitor throw down quad after quad after quad in front of you even as you‘re nearing your mental breaking point. Now, I‘m not saying Zhenya and Rika are similar to Yuzu and Javi, the two had a very unique friendship. But what I am saying is that Brian and Tracy are very conscious of their athletes‘ mental states and they make sure to do their best to help them.

Secondly, Zhenya and Rika are from different countries. This seems like an obvious point but it‘s also what makes it different to the OG2018 situation and beyond. The two know that they will never have to compete for spots with each other. In a country with a field as deep as Russia, this is significant.

This is just my personal interpretation of the situation (and we‘ll never know for sure unless Zhenya tells us) but I don‘t think she ever had a real problem training with competitors. She was the leader of the team for years, got along with the youngsters very well, gave tips and advice, all the younger skaters named her as their idol and role model... What I believe her problem was that there was no individualistic training approach suited for her as an adult as well as the fact that her coach was actively guiding and training her replacements. This is different from how it‘s like with Rika and Zhenya because Rika isn‘t coached to replace anyone, Brian (and we still do not know for sure who is going to work with her, right?) and the others will help her grow but not in the literal aim to dethrone Zhenya. I don‘t know how to explain this any better but I‘ll try and say it like this: In Evgenia‘s former team there‘s always a leader in terms of results and prestige (last season was peculiar in that there were three) who gets overthrown a few years later by a younger champion. With Rika and Evgenia, however, it‘s more working next to each other and learning from one another. They‘re competing, too, yes, but somehow I feel like this detail will make it easier.

Additionally, so far Brian will be Rika‘s secondary coach. Of course it‘s entirely possible (and maybe even likely?) that this will change - as the current situation with the virus might not allow Rika to frequently travel back and forth between her two training locations. But from what‘s known at the moment, we can conclude that Rika will probably not spend the entire time in Canada.

Another personal impression incoming: I do have a feeling Brian has gotten attached to Zhenya. Meaning, he cares for her as a person beyond just coaching her for the money. I think that he‘d refuse to train Rika if he thought it could hurt Zhenya in any way. Of course, I also feel conflicted because I want someone to be in Zhenya‘s corner 100% - she deserves it. I just hope him training Rika will not hurt her.

Finally, I think Zhenya can benefit from observing Rika‘s technique, mainly on the lutz. Whereas Rika can learn from Zhenya in terms of expression and artistry. I see that Rika landing quads and 3A in front of Zhenya might be intimidating, but at the same time she‘s a tough competitor, what if she‘s there thinking: “if she can make that 4S, so do I!“ instead? It can be inspiring and motivating. And if there should come a point when she‘s overwhelmed, I believe Tracy and Brian would take her aside and coach the two individually. Honestly, if done right, this could be benefiting for both of them.

Now, where I see potential problems (and I‘ve seen some of them before that already, Rika‘s case now only aggravate them) is when it comes to the Olympics. Maia has raised some of them but I‘d like to take it in another direction. I worry what will happen to Zhenya if she does not make the team, which at this point, let‘s be honest, is more likely than not. Before she would have had to watch Yuzu, Jason, Jun and Katia go to the Olympics with their coaches, now it‘s Rika as well who looks like she‘s a good candidate for a medal, maybe even the Gold. Watching your training partner win the Gold while you have to settle for Silver is bad but having to watch someone win Gold while you‘re sitting at home, is even worse. I worry what this would do for her mental state.

I‘ve also admitted to myself (no matter how much it hurts) that Zhenya‘s goals likely have changed. I‘m pretty sure she went to Brian with the goal of Olympic Gold but seeing the level rise to what is probably unattainable for her (I mean, even if she gets a quad, there‘s skaters out there who have three or four or five), I guess she‘ll now settle for having a long career and a healthy body. This still doesn‘t mean that the Olympic season is going to be easy to take and having to watch her coaches celebrate the Games with another top lady... well, it will hurt. This is my major worry here and I don‘t know how to voice it. I have a lot of respect for Brian and I want to trust him and his team. But in the back of my mind, I have the fear that this move was mainly inspired by Zhenya likely not making the Olympic team. Rika will make it, all I‘m saying. I hope this is just me being overly pessimistic.

Concluding: yes, I do have my doubts and my worries but I try not to focus on them too much, especially not two years in advance. So much is uncertain in our sport (and the whole world) right now, so much can change. I think for Rika, this was a very wise decision and a great step. For Zhenya, it can prove to be advantageous in some aspects and negative in others. I‘m not decided yet, I will have to wait for the season. I can only hope everything will turn out fine for Zhenya and we‘ll get to see her soon again. :pray:

But let's be honest, how long can a body with incurable injuries compete in training against a younger, healthier and technically strong partner.

I agree with you, I don‘t want her to break again either, she had and still has to endure a lot.

But here I think (and hope) the situation will be different. Zhenya is very competitive, yes, but Brian and Tracy will make sure that she won‘t compete in training until her breaking point. Their system is fundamentally different when it comes to this. We also don‘t know yet how the situation with Rika will look like exactly, how much time she will spend in Canada, etc. I worry too but imo, it‘s a bit too early to tell.

Also; just a short question: you said we have (distant) proof that Zhenya‘s training in Japan? How? What have I missed? Thanks in advance. :)

Maia96

On the Ice
I've thought about this non-stop for the last 24 hours. And I want Maxim Kovtun to be her coach. He is her friend and he would have the time to work on jumps without the clock ticking and money being spent. CSKA is a great rink, and it's where she started.

Oh, I've been thinking about this non-stop for the last 24 hours too! I'm so surprised with the news that I wouldn't miss anything that happened from now.

Although, the passing season is already closed.

Maia96

On the Ice

I haven‘t posted in here for a while but I‘ve meant to anyway and now that we have some actual news that are at least indirectly concerning Zhenya..

Of course I understand Maia‘s points very well - my brain too tends to have an automatic response of worrying whenever it comes to Evgenia, I guess it‘s a fan‘s duty or something.. :shrug:

I‘m trying to word this very carefully so as to not offend anyone: one of the reasons I was happy when Zhenya announced her coaching change was Brian Orser‘s known approach focusing specifically on individual training for each athlete. Meaning, that unlike in Zhenya‘s previous team, direct rivals are NOT encouraged (and yes, even driven) to seek on-ice battles and turn every ice time into yet another full blown competition. Case in point the Olympics. Yuzu and Javi, too, were competing against each other and training in the same team. When Brian felt it was too much for one of the other, he separated them, coaching each one individually. This is different from being forced to watch your competitor throw down quad after quad after quad in front of you even as you‘re nearing your mental breaking point. Now, I‘m not saying Zhenya and Rika are similar to Yuzu and Javi, the two had a very unique friendship. But what I am saying is that Brian and Tracy are very conscious of their athletes‘ mental states and they make sure to do their best to help them.

Secondly, Zhenya and Rika are from different countries. This seems like an obvious point but it‘s also what makes it different to the OG2018 situation and beyond. The two know that they will never have to compete for spots with each other. In a country with a field as deep as Russia, this is significant.

This is just my personal interpretation of the situation (and we‘ll never know for sure unless Zhenya tells us) but I don‘t think she ever had a real problem training with competitors. She was the leader of the team for years, got along with the youngsters very well, gave tips and advice, all the younger skaters named her as their idol and role model... What I believe her problem was that there was no individualistic training approach suited for her as an adult as well as the fact that her coach was actively guiding and training her replacements. This is different from how it‘s like with Rika and Zhenya because Rika isn‘t coached to replace anyone, Brian (and we still do not know for sure who is going to work with her, right?) and the others will help her grow but not in the literal aim to dethrone Zhenya. I don‘t know how to explain this any better but I‘ll try and say it like this: In Evgenia‘s former team there‘s always a leader in terms of results and prestige (last season was peculiar in that there were three) who gets overthrown a few years later by a younger champion. With Rika and Evgenia, however, it‘s more working next to each other and learning from one another. They‘re competing, too, yes, but somehow I feel like this detail will make it easier.

Additionally, so far Brian will be Rika‘s secondary coach. Of course it‘s entirely possible (and maybe even likely?) that this will change - as the current situation with the virus might not allow Rika to frequently travel back and forth between her two training locations. But from what‘s known at the moment, we can conclude that Rika will probably not spend the entire time in Canada.

Another personal impression incoming: I do have a feeling Brian has gotten attached to Zhenya. Meaning, he cares for her as a person beyond just coaching her for the money. I think that he‘d refuse to train Rika if he thought it could hurt Zhenya in any way. Of course, I also feel conflicted because I want someone to be in Zhenya‘s corner 100% - she deserves it. I just hope him training Rika will not hurt her.

Finally, I think Zhenya can benefit from observing Rika‘s technique, mainly on the lutz. Whereas Rika can learn from Zhenya in terms of expression and artistry. I see that Rika landing quads and 3A in front of Zhenya might be intimidating, but at the same time she‘s a tough competitor, what if she‘s there thinking: “if she can make that 4S, so do I!“ instead? It can be inspiring and motivating. And if there should come a point when she‘s overwhelmed, I believe Tracy and Brian would take her aside and coach the two individually. Honestly, if done right, this could be benefiting for both of them.

Now, where I see potential problems (and I‘ve seen some of them before that already, Rika‘s case now only aggravate them) is when it comes to the Olympics. Maia has raised some of them but I‘d like to take it in another direction. I worry what will happen to Zhenya if she does not make the team, which at this point, let‘s be honest, is more likely than not. Before she would have had to watch Yuzu, Jason, Jun and Katia go to the Olympics with their coaches, now it‘s Rika as well who looks like she‘s a good candidate for a medal, maybe even the Gold. Watching your training partner win the Gold while you have to settle for Silver is bad but having to watch someone win Gold while you‘re sitting at home, is even worse. I worry what this would do for her mental state.

I‘ve also admitted to myself (no matter how much it hurts) that Zhenya‘s goals likely have changed. I‘m pretty sure she went to Brian with the goal of Olympic Gold but seeing the level rise to what is probably unattainable for her (I mean, even if she gets a quad, there‘s skaters out there who have three or four or five), I guess she‘ll now settle for having a long career and a healthy body. This still doesn‘t mean that the Olympic season is going to be easy to take and having to watch her coaches celebrate the Games with another top lady... well, it will hurt. This is my major worry here and I don‘t know how to voice it. I have a lot of respect for Brian and I want to trust him and his team. But in the back of my mind, I have the fear that this move was mainly inspired by Zhenya likely not making the Olympic team. Rika will make it, all I‘m saying. I hope this is just me being overly pessimistic.

Concluding: yes, I do have my doubts and my worries but I try not to focus on them too much, especially not two years in advance. So much is uncertain in our sport (and the whole world) right now, so much can change. I think for Rika, this was a very wise decision and a great step. For Zhenya, it can prove to be advantageous in some aspects and negative in others. I‘m not decided yet, I will have to wait for the season. I can only hope everything will turn out fine for Zhenya and we‘ll get to see her soon again. :pray:

I agree with you, I don‘t want her to break again either, she had and still has to endure a lot.

But here I think (and hope) the situation will be different. Zhenya is very competitive, yes, but Brian and Tracy will make sure that she won‘t compete in training until her breaking point. Their system is fundamentally different when it comes to this. We also don‘t know yet how the situation with Rika will look like exactly, how much time she will spend in Canada, etc. I worry too but imo, it‘s a bit too early to tell.

Also; just a short question: you said we have (distant) proof that Zhenya‘s training in Japan? How? What have I missed? Thanks in advance. :)

I don't think you're pessimistic Fluture, I also agree with you on what I think took Orser to accept Rika. Only as a Zhenya fan is very difficult to process and it hurts. We thought it was good for her to have someone who was totally dedicated about her. This doesn't mean that he doesn't have other students. It's something else. And now we see that it won't no longer be like this.

Now he will deal with Rika too. I don't think he's just the second coach. He'll definitely be the main coach and will fully deal with Rika. It's a similar situation to Satoko, Hamada is still her main coach but in reality Satoko only trains in Toronto and doesn't go to the competitions with Hamada either.
The issue is to see how Zhenya will handle the situation, which is the only thing that really matters to me.

An the proof…is a russian link to an article where you can see a photo of Zhenya and her mother in the parking of the Saitama ice rink with her training suitcase. The article is also interesting about Zhenya, Rika's arrival to Orser and Zhenya's haters.

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/hideg/e...-olimpiiskii-komitet-5ee4952c2748844013798f61

Scott512

Record Breaker
Zhenya might say "You want competition Brian, so you'll have it." And then start to jumps quads and learn 3A. But let's be honest, how long can a body with incurable injuries compete in training against a younger, healthier and technically strong partner.

I also don't want to see her breaking again. She doesn't deserve to go through that again. Imagine after what happened to repeat the same story. Also, if after disappointment and great pain it's hard for anyone to trust someone again, imagine what it must be like for an athlete. She doesn't deserve to relive that and I wish it wouldn't happen. But I can't stop worrying about her.
Yes this Rika to TCC / BO news could put Zhenya in beastmode with the attitude to learn a 3A and a quad now!

After having Alina on her heels and 3A plus Kamila coming I dont think training with Rika will scare Zhenya. Remember she trained with all those girls and Yulia over the years. Other than broken skates its possible nothing rattles Zhenya. Evgenia was unbelievable the whole olympic season and there were things that could have shook her up but didnt.

Glad you got a kick out of that :agree: What you saif about Rika perhaps not being able to travel back and forth is a good point. That might limiit her time at home or in Toronto and with Brian and Tracy etc, That might not help Rika being tom between 2 countries an coaches.

I think most with agree with your pessimism. But your pessimism is like a positive pessimism if there is such a thing!

Another question is how much longer can Zhenya afford to pay Brian major moola if he thinks she is not olympic podium likley or even able to make the Russian olympic team? Other than Zhenya Brian had no lady hopes for Bejiing. Now he does with Rika. But we have to see Zhenyas reaction or if there will even be a season or the next winter olympics. Covid 19 has put everythng in doubt.

Its sad ISU does not add more weight to the world rankings so a dominant country can get more than 3 into major events. Probably no more Zhenya Alina and Liza at euros worlds and olympics. But not having them in these events is like not having Federer and Nadal or Tiger and Phil into major tennis and golf events because they are not the top 3 in their countiries. Zhenya could skate for a long time yet. But the ISU rules cause talent to go away young. Top skaters from Japan and Italy and USA have been lucky for such a lack of depth in all disciplines.

If Zhenya can get a dual citizenship with Russia and Armenia she could consider that. At least she would get to another winter olypics while not leaving Russia altogether. Remember if she left EG for Armenia the uproar would have been alot smaller than leaving her for Canada and Orser.

Fluture

Record Breaker
An the proof…is a russian link to an article where you can see a photo of Zhenya and her mother in the parking of the Saitama ice rink with her training suitcase. The article is also interesting about Zhenya, Rika's arrival to Orser and Zhenya's haters.

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/hideg/e...-olimpiiskii-komitet-5ee4952c2748844013798f61

Well, I still think that we don‘t know yet. Of course, if you have the chance to get two Olympic medalists (champions?) in two different categories, you take it. But where does that leave Zhenya...?

I do believe that this could work if Zhenya agreed and Brian and Tracy have thought this through. But it will be difficult and I’m not sure it had to be this way. Still, we should wait and see.

Oh, that picture. Thanks for the proof. I‘m glad if Zhenya‘s training but honestly, that seems pretty stalker-ish again, especially since it‘s so blurry and taken from far away. Idk, it creeps me out, even more after we‘ve had the whole Zhenya - Japan debacle before and how people literally stalked her inside her hotel etc.

Yes this Rika to TCC / BO news could put Zhenya in beastmode with the attitude to learn a 3A and a quad now!

After having Alina on her heels and 3A plus Kamila coming I dont think training with Rika will scare Zhenya. Remember she trained with all those girls and Yulia over the years. Other than broken skates its possible nothing rattles Zhenya. Evgenia was unbelievable the whole olympic season and there were things that could have shook her up but didn‘t.

Well, Zhenya is an exceptionally strong woman for sure. But she‘s not superhuman. Things have rattled her in the past and they will in the future. Imagine her not making the Games and Brian and Tracy being there with Rika, Katia, Jason, Jun and Yuzu. I mean, I get depressed thinking about it, how is Zhenya going to feel? I don‘t want to imagine it, to be perfectly honest.

Another question is how much longer can Zhenya afford to pay Brian major moola if he thinks she is not olympic podium likley or even able to make the Russian olympic team?

Before the pandemic, I would have laughed about this, like I have before. Zhenya‘s a major figure in this sport, she would have done very well without a doubt. But now we‘re in a rather peculiar situation in that there‘s virtually no way of income since shows have been canceled and are unlikely to happen all that soon. (of course Zhenya isn’t the only one being affected but with this being her fanfest...) It‘s not our business to speculate, really, but as usually, I worry. I just hope they have formed a solid plan by now.

If Zhenya can get a dual citizenship with Russia and Armenia she could consider that. At least she would get to another winter olypics while not leaving Russia altogether. Remember if she left EG for Armenia the uproar would have been alot smaller than leaving her for Canada and Orser.

Dual citizenship, or any change of country, really, is not going to happen. If she wanted to do it, she would have done it after the OG when she had to sit out the Worlds due to injury anyway. Now it‘s too late. She’s too big of a star, Russia wouldn‘t release her and besides, they‘ve even made restrictions harder so that athletes can‘t change countries as easily. (They have to wait two years instead of one, which makes this whole discussion obsolete) Nevermind a superstar like Zhenya. She won‘t skate for Armenia; she won‘t skate for Canada. If she somehow makes the Olympic team, it will be for Russia. It‘s the only way. I personally wish it was different but... :shrug: