Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

NaVi

Medalist
I like the LP a lot more than after the test skate. It is too similar to last years but it still flows better and she carried the theme better IMO. There's a lot of cool transitions and nice jump timings. One worse impression is part of the voices for the step sequence... I couldn't hear the voices at the test skate but here you can literally hear George W Bush say airplanes and towers... not really happy with that.

Last edited:

Vladimir

Rinkside
I really like Meddie's new programs. I also see some improvement in speed and flow. The jumps look bigger too.

What bores me a little is that we see her practicing 3-3-3's, 3S-3L, 3L-3L, Rippon-jumps, Tano-Rippon combos and now she comes up with the exact same jump layout as last year. And the year before. Not a single change or new challenge! :eek:hwell:

That 2A-2T-2T combo by the way is not very pretty to watch.

Just study ISU rules. It's allowed to repeat only 2 types of tripple jumps. And you must jump 3 combos. So there's no reason for 3-3-3. And I'm sure she will put 3Lo jump in her program if it's necessary. But Evgenia is very smart figure skater, really the best ever, she knows what she has to do to stay on top.

Vladimir

Rinkside
Evgenia is a phenom... I was afraid about her puberty in summer, but now I hope everything is OK. She has 6 (!!!) straight victories, all of them are with more than 140 pts. in long program! 5 of 6 are more than 147 pts!!! Oh My God!!!

MeineKatze

On the Ice
I really like Meddie's new programs. I also see some improvement in speed and flow. The jumps look bigger too.

What bores me a little is that we see her practicing 3-3-3's, 3S-3L, 3L-3L, Rippon-jumps, Tano-Rippon combos and now she comes up with the exact same jump layout as last year. And the year before. Not a single change or new challenge! :eek:hwell:

That 2A-2T-2T combo by the way is not very pretty to watch.

Ikr. The exact same jumps and same spins..it's getting a little boring at this point, but better safe than sorry i guess. And this is why I like skaters like Yuzuru who take risks to try new things. But I still hope Evgenia to dominate again this season and show the haters and jealous people that she's not a one season wonder or pre-puberty only skater.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Evgenia is still only 16 years old and this is only her 2nd senior season, and people are complaining that she's boring and doing the same things she always has. Well, I can think of a very long list of skaters who have been around for many more years and do the same things they always have. Perhaps they are playing it safe until she gets through the crucial puberty phase. But I don't see why she, of all people, is getting so much flack for sticking with the same layout and style. Yuzuru is 5 years older, so obviously he has had far more time to develop technically and artistically. Then you have skaters around Yuzuru's age, or even several years older, who never show anything really new...and what is their excuse?

Last edited:

Vladimir

Rinkside
Ikr. The exact same jumps and same spins..it's getting a little boring at this point, but better safe than sorry i guess. And this is why I like skaters like Yuzuru who take risks to try new things. But I still hope Evgenia to dominate again this season and show the haters and jealous people that she's not a one season wonder or pre-puberty only skater.

OK, Tsurskaya, Lipnitskaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotbnikova, Radionova, Sakhanovich have a different jump content this season. The content is easier and cheaper than before but... it's still different:laugh:. And not that boring:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Evgenia is still only 16 years old and this is only her 2nd senior season, and people are complaining that she's boring and doing the same things she always has. Well, I can think of a very long list of skaters who have been around for many more years and do the same things they always have. Perhaps they are playing it safe until she gets through the crucial puberty phase. But I don't see why she, of all people, is getting so much flack for sticking with the same layout and style. Yuzuru is 5 years older, so obviously he has had far more time to develop technically and artistically. Then you have skaters around Yuzuru's age, or even several years older, who never show anything really new...and what is their excuse?
I agree, aside from Yuzuru, most top male skaters just repeat what they have been skating to for years. I think people expect more from Evegnia because she is currently no.1. It is normal. But she is young, she has time to grow.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I do remember not so long ago Lipnitskaya was the one who took the knock from all sides, until when she was bettered by Sotnikova in Sochi then Tutberidze turned all her attention to Zhenia practically ditching Julia on the wayside
What the nonsense are you writing? Everything was absolutely conversely. You can not force the athlete to do something, if he himself does not want to. It's a shame to catching nonsense like this and covertly blame Eteri for no reasons. Yulia should be thankful for what this wonderful woman made for her. So please don't write rude and lies about Evgenia's coach. :noshake:

stryke

On the Ice
I have been rather puzzled at seeing so much negativity in general when people speak about her. Personally I find her, along with Anna Pogorilaya, the most appealing among the Russian girls. I do remember not so long ago Lipnitskaya was the one who took the knock from all sides, until when she was bettered by Sotnikova in Sochi then Tutberidze turned all her attention to Zhenia practically ditching Julia on the wayside. Now Julia is everyone's princess and everyone seems to have something against Zhenya... :scratch2:
Is that the problem? So it takes Eteri switching her attention 100% on Tsurskaya for the world to start appreciating Zhenya? Well but Zhenya seems to keep going strong anyway, so it may not happen. Anyway to me this general antipathy against her is really uncalled for and unfortunate.. :whack:

Are you posting in the correct fanfest? I normally see that nonsense in Yulia's, not here. What everyone thinks happened between Yulia and Eteri is subjective. Take your Eteri blaming back to Yulia's FF pls.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Having seen I have ruffled some feathers so I deleted my comment, as offending anyone was not my intention. sorry for the bother.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Bump.

Evgenia is working both fronts! Here is an interview with her in which she expresses interest for both Japanese anime and South Korean K-pop.

http://atimemag.ru/people/medvedeva/

The sixteen year-old Evgenia Medvedeva is a world champion and an owner of over ten more competition awards in figure skating. However, she is also know for her love toward anime. Evgenia tells ATIME what she watches, what she listens to, and if “Yuri!! on Ice” is realistic or not.

You’ve been watching anime since childhood?

No, only since the start of last season. I started by watching all of Hayao Miyazaki’s works and then went on to Sailor Moon. As everyone could notice, it really drew me in. (laughs.)
The last anime I saw was Re: Zero, it is ongoing and I await new episodes. I like it very much. I like science fiction in general. I’m also impressed by Tokyo Ghoul – it makes you thing about how you behave in society. Obviously, I’m also interested in Yuri!! on Ice which drew a lot of attention from the first episode.

Tell us about Yuri!! on Ice from the point of view of a figure skating otaku.

It is very engaging, something fresh and new. This is the first anime about sport that I have seen and it is impressive. I say this as an otaku and don’t take into account that I’m a figure skater. As an athlete, who knows the behind-the-scenes life of skating, I can confidently cay that this anime is as close to reality as possible. Although not all Russians are as mean as Yuri Plisetskiy. (laughs.) I have to say that the Japanese have a funny impression of Russian juniors.

Which character is closest to you?

Probably Viktor. He shows calmness and slight awkwardness off the ice. By the way, the main difference between this anime and reality is that I’ve never seen an active skater end his career in order to train another skater. But maybe there things I don’t know.

Even before the first episode, people online were already comparing the characters to real figure skaters. For example, Viktor Nikiforov was compared to Plushenko and Katsuki Yuri to Hanyu. Had you any associations?

I don’t really know how to explain but the script writer herself (Kubo Mitsuro) told me that the practice outfit for this character was based on mine.

Exactly! Congratulations on your anime debut. Do you have plans to watch other sport-based anime?

I don't have the time for now. In the future I hope to see every anime in the world. It is impossible but I’ll try.

You also listen to K-pop and had this BTS cover posted on your Instagram page. How did this enter your life?
(can’t find the post :()

Yes, this has place in my life and is a big part of it. I listen to different genres but these days it’s exclusively K-pop. Could you call me a fan? Yes. I am a big fan of EXO and always keep track of what’s going on with the group. Every morning begins with their songs and if something new comes out, my mood increases for the whole day. To be honest, these guys motivate me a lot as I understand how much work it takes to be able to move and sing like that simultaneously.

A liking to K-pop motivates many people to start learning Korean. Do you have such a wish, as an addition to learning Japanese?

If I start learning Korean as well, my head will explode. Yet I feel that this will slowly come to me since I have a friend in Seoul.

Any interest toward Asian cultural fests in Moscow?

Yes, I went to J-FEST this year. It just so happened that my weekends fell on the date of the festival. My happiness was out of bounds. I liked the cosplays the most. I like them in general but I only have a Sailor Moon costume at home. I would like to cosplay Sebastian from Black Butler. An obtrusive idea but I really want to do it.

atimemag.ru is a Russian online magazine dedicated to Asian culture.

Do you guys think that it is possible to be a K-pop loving otaku (anime/manga fan) given the relations and cultural differences between Japan and South Korea? Do you think that her team is just doing PR moves to gain support from both Japanese and S. Korean fans?

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Do you guys think that it is possible to be a K-pop loving otaku (anime/manga fan) given the relations and cultural differences between Japan and South Korea? Do you think that her team is just doing PR moves to gain support from both Japanese and S. Korean fans?

Possible? Considering her age she is basically a typical representative of a section of teen girls in this way. The only thing she is missing to hit the holy trifecta is Asian dramas, which is of course impossible for her due to time constraints. But yes, teenagers (and up in age, you'd be surprised) do indeed enjoy both of these. In large quantities. Loudly. I'm glad she's having fun while already having a professional, very demanding career at her age.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Of course she can like both, it's not like she has a dog in that fight. Why would she care about such things? This is almost like asking if it's possible for Americans to like Russian skaters given the country's political relations...yes, of course, most sensible people do not conflate politics with sport or culture or anything else. And no...I think it's nonsense to assume this is PR, she clearly loves these things like plenty of other young people from all over the world. This is a sport and I don't think judges would care one bit about this kind of PR. (Honestly, if her team was concerned at all with PR, they'd probably consider changing her LP as the first order of business.)

Why so cynical?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

Lol you are basically describing half the K-pop and anime/manga community. Political climate usually has no relevance to a person's enjoyment of cultural entertainment. I know I was obsessed with both for a period of time when I was younger. I'm still a avid manga reader. :coffee:

crazy3d

Rinkside
I remember that press conference with Yulia and Elena sitting along Evgenia and she starts talking about a personal thing, and well, both eye rolled, looked at each and smiled. I wouldn't be surprised if Evgenia was coached to watch anime and listen to kpop. I have seen a couple of instances with Yulia being around Evgenia after the breakup, and there's tension in their faces. You can see Evgenia looks uncomfortable, which is unnatural for her. It's all PR? Thing nowadays are not as real as they once were. It's just a fact. :drama:

carmina

On the Ice

PR? really? she works 6 days a week and only a day for herself and she watches anime for PR... yeah sure thing :laugh2: