Excel series and NQS | Golden Skate

Excel series and NQS

atalide

Spectator
I hava a pretty good understanding of the difference between excel test track, excel plus and well balanced tracks. It seems to me that if you compete in the NQS you shouldn’t be allowed to also compete in the corresponding Excel series at the same level as they are not at all equivalents. Yet there are quite a few skaters who do both and in many cases those that did performed super well because in the excel series they are skating well below their actual level and capabilities. In Juvenile Plus they are limited to level 2 spins and double toe and double sal, but a lot of the skaters are actually capable of spins 2 levels above that and much harder jumps. To me is just feels like sand bagging. Just wondering what others think about this. I hope there is a change that comes in the rules where you can chose to compete NQS or Excel Series, but not both.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
I talked about this a bit in a recent video:

There actually is a rule that those who compete in both may compete at one level below their Excel level in NQS:
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.34.02 AM.png

In the NQS Handbook, there are Athlete Profiles that are intended to help coaches determine where their skaters best fit within NQS.

All that said, as I acknowledge in the first video that I posted above, this is a controversial topic and I hope that U.S. Figure Skating keeps an eye on it.