Fantasy (Un)retirement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fantasy (Un)retirement

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I probably ought to explain my own as OP... ;-)

I see people charitably giving skaters another chance as their careers were cut short by injury or they never reached early potential etc. Others are looking back in time curious as to how certain skaters would fare now.

However, I am just going to be very selfish and choose a recent retiree already mentioned just because I adore him and would give anything to magically give him another few years of skating at his top form (and with the will to do so of course) and without injury: Daisuke Takahashi. He just left me breathless when I watched him and mesmerised by the intensity of his art. For feeling and enhancing every beat of the music, he was untouchable. It would be worth expending my magic just to see one more glorious step sequence.

It's not selfish at all for Daisuke, I would want to give him a chance too, he was injured in his last season and couldn't even go to Worlds, he also had that torn ACL injury that too him out for an entire season. He's had a lot of injuries and I would love to see him skate at top form again. It seemed like when he retired he had some regrets because he couldn't perfect performances.

SunDae

Rinkside
Fantasy Un-retirement? Why of course, Yu Na! The Queen!! In time for Pyeongchang 2018!

But also Carolina Kostner - to have her ridulously harsh ban lifted in time to give HER the choice.

noskates

Record Breaker
ABP (anybody but Plushenko)

Kurt Browning for sure. Daisuke Takahashi (did not really appreciate his skating until his last LP) Stephane Lambiel

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It's not selfish at all for Daisuke, I would want to give him a chance too, he was injured in his last season and couldn't even go to Worlds, he also had that torn ACL injury that too him out for an entire season. He's had a lot of injuries and I would love to see him skate at top form again. It seemed like when he retired he had some regrets because he couldn't perfect performances.

That is very true. I suppose I was just thinking that he had managed to compete for many years unlike some, but you are absolutely right that his form was compromised by injuries on many occasions, he had the major knee surgery and he was out for quite long periods including the year.

Also, I'd want him back just to see if he could finally get the British Eurosport guys to burst into tears of sheer joy. He got 'em close many times. :laugh2: I still love their commentary on Worlds 2012 SP- "Just what do you have to do to get a 9?!!" And the LP sounded like they were in ecstasy! :laugh:

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
That is very true. I suppose I was just thinking that he had managed to compete for many years unlike some, but you are absolutely right that his form was compromised by injuries on many occasions, he had the major knee surgery and he was out for quite long periods including the year.

Also, I'd want him back just to see if he could finally get the British Eurosport guys to burst into tears of sheer joy. He got 'em close many times. :laugh2: I still love their commentary on Worlds 2012 SP- "Just what do you have to do to get a 9?!!" And the LP sounded like they were in ecstasy! :laugh:

Daisuke's skating, the iconic program, Camerlengo at the boards and the pure adoration of the British eurosport guys make W2012 program one of the superior videos on youtube

aa456

On the Ice
Daisuke's skating, the iconic program, Camerlengo at the boards and the pure adoration of the British eurosport guys make W2012 program one of the superior videos on youtube

Blues for Klooks! Such an awesome program, it totally made me a fan :eek:: :love:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My initial reaction was Michelle Kwan, because I'll always feel sad that she didn't get to skate at Torino. But she's achieved so much, and seems happy in her life now. No reason to drag her back into skating.

So... I'm going to pick Tatsuki Machida. So much could've/would've/should've there...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The WTT version with all the skaters leaning over Team Japan's K&C to cheer is better. It's his PB score, too. An amazing skate.

Khoai

Match Penalty
Fantasy about retirement (finally please settle down): Plushenko

As long as this man stays out of competitions I have no problem with any of the come back, even if that might be Johnny Weir and his fashion.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
The WTT version with all the skaters leaning over Team Japan's K&C to cheer is better. It's his PB score, too. An amazing skate.

Oh yeah, I remember when I saw it back then, I was like "you see those scores Patrick Chan? He should have gotten that at worlds and beaten you yo". I remember the Italian team was super into cheering for Daisuke. They had a great spirit!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I remember when I saw it back then, I was like "you see those scores Patrick Chan? He should have gotten that at worlds and beaten you yo". I remember the Italian team was super into cheering for Daisuke. They had a great spirit!
Pretty much everyone in the upper K&Cs was cheering - the French skaters were leaning over and making lots of noise, joined by quite a few others. It was adorable.

Patrick Chan has since grown on me, but it did have a sort of a downfall of Slytherin vibe to it at the time ;) Sorry Patrick!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Aww, yes, that was amazing! Not like I hate Patrick (I will assert to my dying day that Dai should have won at Worlds that year though) but it was a "Take that!" moment.

In the British Eurosport commentary, "This is spine-tingling stuff!" sums that program up.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Pretty much everyone in the upper K&Cs was cheering - the French skaters were leaning over and making lots of noise, joined by quite a few others. It was adorable.

Patrick Chan has since grown on me, but it did have a sort of a downfall of Slytherin vibe to it at the time ;) Sorry Patrick!

Ahaha omg I get you! Worlds 2012 made me kinda hate Patrick. And then I stopped because it was so stupid, it wasn't Patrick's doing. Poor him. Now I try my best to be positive about Patrick even if his skating does nothing for me.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would love to have Yuna and Mao back next season for the epic batlle with grown-up Russian prodigies. Yuna, Mao, Liza, Lena, Yulia, and Adelina would be the unprecedented GPF.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen and Denise Bielmann in girls
Daisuke Takahashi and Stephane Lambliel in men. The young Emanuel Sandhu will be a plus! wow and I forgot Philipe Candeloro...
Bereshnaya/Shigarulitze (spelling???) and Kassarova/Dimitriev in pairs
As for dance, I miss Anissina/Peizerat.