Figure Skaters Recall Odd Gifts from Fans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skaters Recall Odd Gifts from Fans

Layback11

Record Breaker
Plus they're less likely to inure someone. And when I threw them, they barely made it onto the ice cause my throw is SO HORRIBLE.

YES!!! I threw fuzzy socks with pairs of gloves inside them at Nationals and I missed once. Luckily, somebody a few rows up caught them and tossed them the rest of the way. That was at the ladies FS, about fifty feet off the ice. At the free dance, our tickets didn't get there on time, so family back home ordered digital ones for us and they turned out to be the very last row before the ice! :cheer: #BestMistakeEVER I didn't have any trouble getting them down that time. ;) I'm glad it was soft stuff or they may have gotten a minor head injury from the incoming terribly-thrown toss gifts...:slink:

Alba

Record Breaker
Once I gave Liz Manley a T-shirt that was a take-off on the Olympic motto: Citius, Altius, Fortius (Fastest, Highest, Strongest); it had the Olympic 5-color rings at the top, with the words "Brevius, Suavius, Lepidius". When I told her what that meant, "Shortest, Sweetest, Cutest", she went "Awe...how sweet!". Sent me a postcard 6 months later, saying "I've been wearing the t-shirt all year on tour! It's great, thanks!" Recently sent a similar one to Rachael Flatt, and received a hand-written thank-you letter from her!

I love your gift. That's really great. :yes:

Tanka

On the Ice
YES!!! I threw fuzzy socks with pairs of gloves inside them at Nationals and I missed once. Luckily, somebody a few rows up caught them and tossed them the rest of the way.

One of plushy Winnies hit my head in Shanghai and I was really happy it was a small one. :biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://instagram.com/p/qax1a5sThP/?taken-by=cheerknithanson

This is when I was working on the socks for Jason this past summer.

Great gift - very thoughtful.

At Boston Nationals 2015, there was a fan sitting in our section (not sure if she's a member of this board), who gave Jason a soft Jason doll, all dressed up in his "Riverdance" costume, complete with ponytail. I asked her if I could take a pic of it. She said, "Yes." I wish I was able to post it here (it's in one of my FB photo albums from last year). Jason was SO thrilled with it!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great gift - very thoughtful.

At Boston Nationals 2015, there was a fan sitting in our section (not sure if she's a member of this board), who gave Jason a soft Jason doll, all dressed up in his "Riverdance" costume, complete with ponytail. I asked her if I could take a pic of it. She said, "Yes." I wish I was able to post it here (it's in one of my FB photo albums from last year). Jason was SO thrilled with it!

I know it was thoughtful! The pattern I did with the cuff was actually one type of stitch pattern I never did in a sock. So it was my guinea pig in a way for it. I'm glad it turned out well because that was a tricky stitch pattern.

I think I've seen the pic of that doll before. If it's the one that you're referring to, it's SO cute!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Once I gave Liz Manley a T-shirt that was a take-off on the Olympic motto: Citius, Altius, Fortius (Fastest, Highest, Strongest); it had the Olympic 5-color rings at the top, with the words "Brevius, Suavius, Lepidius". When I told her what that meant, "Shortest, Sweetest, Cutest", she went "Awe...how sweet!". Sent me a postcard 6 months later, saying "I've been wearing the t-shirt all year on tour! It's great, thanks!" Recently sent a similar one to Rachael Flatt, and received a hand-written thank-you letter from her!

Fabulous -- and how nice that Liz & Rachael both wrote to you!

Re: lingerie, I gotta believe that Plushy and Charlie White have gotten some of that, too... :biggrin:

John King

Final Flight
I'm not sure if this falls in the same category, but for the last 2 years I've been making a $100 donation to World Vision just prior to Stars On Ice coming to Calgary. And, having a 'Meet and Greet' pass to meet the cast members, I would give the bank M.O. receipt to whichever skater I was able to meet, to give to Joannie Rochette. The previous year, it was Kurt Browning, last year, there was a two-part 'Meet and Greet', meeting Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford before the show (giving them the receipt), and the entire cast after the show! When I met Kurt that time, he says to me "Ah yes, Joannie's favorite fan! I remember you from last year." And when I met Joannie then (having met her twice in 2012, once when she was doing an appearance for World Vision, and the next at the SOI performance in Calgary), she says to me "Thank you for the donation". Ah......memories......

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure if this falls in the same category, but for the last 2 years I've been making a $100 donation to World Vision just prior to Stars On Ice coming to Calgary. And, having a 'Meet and Greet' pass to meet the cast members, I would give the bank M.O. receipt to whichever skater I was able to meet, to give to Joannie Rochette. The previous year, it was Kurt Browning, last year, there was a two-part 'Meet and Greet', meeting Jessica Duhamel and Eric Radford before the show (giving them the receipt), and the entire cast after the show! When I met Kurt that time, he says to me "Ah yes, Joannie's favorite fan! I remember you from last year." And when I met Joannie then (having met her twice in 2012, once when she was doing an appearance for World Vision, and the next at the SOI performance in Calgary), she says to me "Thank you for the donation". Ah......memories......

Don't you mean Meagan Duhamel?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I know Charlie White once complained in a pre Nationals interview that he did not get socks for Christmas. :laugh2: I wonder how many socks must have been thrown at Nationals that year. Socks make a nice ball to throw!

Completely off topic, but IIRC, the quote from Charlie was not a complaint ;) --- not even a light-hearted complaint :cool:.
Not that it matters one bit, but it came up as part of the following cute/funny :laugh: exchange -- in 2010, IIRC. [The context was that iPads had existed for only a few months then, and still were quite a novelty/luxury.]
I am paraphrasing the whole thing from memory, but the gist was:
In a video interview, D/W were asked what they want for Christmas.
Meryl answered first, and in a wistful/dreamy tone, said something (again, I'm paraphrasing everything) about how an iPad would be convenient for traveling.
When it was Charlie's turn, he laughed good-naturedly and replied matter-of-factly, "I'll say socks ... never can have enough socks."
Meryl then reacted with her own good-natured laugh and quip: "I guess Charlie White is a cheap date! I want an iPad, and all he wants are socks."
More laughter all around :laugh: ....​

p.s. Congratulations to the newlyweds Charlie and Tanith!

Last edited: