First lady to do the 3Lz-3t? | Golden Skate

First lady to do the 3Lz-3t?

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I've been trying to find who was the first lady to execute the 3z-3t in international competition. I've been able to find that Midori Ito was the first lady to hit a triple triple (3T-3T) in 1982 at junior worlds, but very little on the lutz toe.

I would imagine it also might be Midori or Kristi? (Per her Olympics FS).

On a similar note, I would imagine that (at least until recently, but even still), the number of ladies who have executed *clean* 3Lz-3T in international competition would be less than 20 or 25. (I mean... let's be real, Kristi herself might've received an flutz edge call under IJS). Who are these ladies?

For the purposes of this, let's define clean as clear edge (no ! or e), no underrotations, and GOE that is greater or equal to zero. (Or, anyone pre-IJS, since let's face it; there are probably very few before recently).

Here's all the ladies from 2014 or 2015 Worlds, Olympics, or Junior Worlds

Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
Gracie GOLD
Elena RADIONOVA
Polina EDMUNDS
Satoko MIYAHARA
Anna POGORILAYA
Julia LIPNITSKAIA
Adelina SOTNIKOVA
Yuna KIM
Da Bin CHOI
Wakaba HIGUCHI
Yuka NAGAI
Karen CHEN
Anastasia GALUSTYAN (Armenia)
Ashley WAGNER <-- Was called clean at WTT SP

(Rotated/clean edge but negative GOE)
Mae Berenice MEITE <-- did not realize she did this at Worlds this year!
Alaine CHARTRAND

Who else fitting the criteria (international competition, clean) above should be added to this list? :) I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
By the way, I'm sure we'll see a lot more attempts (and successful landings!) this year on the junior circuit, because the solo jump is now the flip.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I would bet Midori Ito. Pretty sure she did it at 1991 Lalique.

Second guess would be Surya Bonaly. Though maybe she didn't try until several years later, and possibly cheated.

Did any woman do any 3-3 other than 3T+3T in the 1980s? Not as far as I know.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I know Kristi routinely did it, but I'm not sure when she started putting it into her programs.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Kristi started putting 3Lz-3T in during the 1991-1992 season. Not sure if she did it first - I suspect some other senior lady was already doing this combination prior to this season. Kristi nailed it at Lalique, Olympics, and worlds in that season. Underrotated (3Lz-3T<) and fell at skate America that season. On replays it looks like she was hitting the 3Lz on an outside edge. Depends on the camera angle.

Prior to that season she did a 2F-3T combo or 3F-turn-3T seq.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would bet Midori Ito. Pretty sure she did it at 1991 Lalique.

Second guess would be Surya Bonaly. Though maybe she didn't try until several years later, and possibly cheated.

Did any woman do any 3-3 other than 3T+3T in the 1980s? Not as far as I know.

What about Kristi Yamauguchi? she did a 3Lz 3t and that would be in the early 90s.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Debi Thomas did 3T+3T

As AsadaFanBoy says, Yamaguchi did her triple-triple starting in 1991

I'm wondering if anyone did a different triple-triple, with at least one of the triples not a 3T, before 1990

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Debi Thomas did 3T+3T

As AsadaFanBoy says, Yamaguchi did her triple-triple starting in 1991

I'm wondering if anyone did a different triple-triple, with at least one of the triples not a 3T, before 1990

I think Ito did the combo at Lalique in 1991 also, so if Kristi didn't nail it at Skate America, whoever skated first that evening may have been the first to do it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I've been trying to find who was the first lady to execute the 3z-3t in international competition. I've been able to find that Midori Ito was the first lady to hit a triple triple (3T-3T) in 1982 at junior worlds, but very little on the lutz toe.

I would imagine it also might be Midori or Kristi? (Per her Olympics FS).

On a similar note, I would imagine that (at least until recently, but even still), the number of ladies who have executed *clean* 3Lz-3T in international competition would be less than 20 or 25. (I mean... let's be real, Kristi herself might've received an flutz edge call under IJS). Who are these ladies?

For the purposes of this, let's define clean as clear edge (no ! or e), no underrotations, and GOE that is greater or equal to zero. (Or, anyone pre-IJS, since let's face it; there are probably very few before recently).

Here's all the ladies from 2014 or 2015 Worlds, Olympics, or Junior Worlds

Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
Gracie GOLD
Elena RADIONOVA
Polina EDMUNDS
Satoko MIYAHARA
Anna POGORILAYA
Julia LIPNITSKAIA
Adelina SOTNIKOVA
Yuna KIM
Da Bin CHOI
Wakaba HIGUCHI
Yuka NAGAI
Karen CHEN
Anastasia GALUSTYAN (Armenia)
Ashley WAGNER <-- Was called clean at WTT SP

(Rotated/clean edge but negative GOE)
Mae Berenice MEITE <-- did not realize she did this at Worlds this year!
Alaine CHARTRAND

Who else fitting the criteria (international competition, clean) above should be added to this list? :) I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

I would say Kristi, but I'm not sure. Also, I don't think Tuktamysheva landed a clean 3Z+3T in the past two seasons (having never gone to Worlds/Olympics in 2014 and having switched to a 3T+3T in 2015), but she has done it at Worlds 2013.

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I feel like Ito did it before Lalique 1991 but I can't find any videos of her doing that combination (in competition) before that season. I also suspect that another ladies skater did it before that season as well, but I don't know who. Too bad there are no protocols to look through for this era.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I'm also curious to know - who started doing the first 2A-3T combination?

I remember 2A-1Lo-3S being done in the 80s and 90s (Ito and Lipinski), but I don't remember seeing 2A-3T until COP.

I do know it was planned in Kristi Yamaguchi's programs before, but I've only seen 2A-2T from Yamaguchi.

Iscariot

On the Ice
I have the feeling that was either Ito or Bonaly who did the first 3lz-3t, as for the 2a-3t Ito was doing it in 1984

burntBREAD

Medalist
I remember reading somewhere that Yamaguchi was the first to complete it at 1991 Lalique simply because her skating order was before Ito (who also completed it successfully). Not entirely sure, though.