Future blade and boot | Golden Skate

Future blade and boot

kneeckie

Spectator
Hello forum!
I’m currently researching in advance for new boots and blades. I’m under 18, weigh around 108 lbs (so on the lighter side) and 5’7. As of right now I’m working on my doubles (specifically salchow and toe loop) and do not believe I am in need of new skates, being in edea choruses with legacy 7 blades. However I DO plan on getting new skates next year. Judging my speed of progression I believe I’ll be working on double loop or even flip by the time I will want/need to upgrade.

I have been to a fitter and I know for certain I am an edea person, Jackson’s being way to wide in the toe and liking the low cut from edea, so I plan to remain with the edea brand. But I am more sceptical about my blades. My pick jumps being very explosive and my edge jumps being just a bit weaker, but my spins being HORRIBLE compared to my jumps. I can’t seems to centre quicker spins and my entry being weird which I believe to be my edges, also absolutely hating camel spin.
Though I must give props to the legacy 7s as I can get many rotations and do most spins that I need for my level, however I feel like I’ve reached a block.

In general for boots I was thinking of concertos, ice flies or even pianos (due to the heal lock for pianos) and for blades John Wilson gold seal or something similar since I heard they help with spins (which I desperately need) I also was thinking of p99s since they may further help my beloved pick jumps. I want these boots to last me a while on average 2 years like my choruses meaning I’ll be working on double axel and even maybe triples.
I hope you can help me confirm my research or give further advice. Also wanted to ask about the gs99 hybrid blades as they seem… interesting
Thank you.

Last edited:

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
If you want help with spins, I've found that the gold seal profile is best. I've skated in p99 revs, and gold seals, and tbh--I personally prefer the gold seal, and I find that it gives me everything I need for jumps and spins. I wear Ice Flies, and I'm petite and don't weigh much. I just have really powerful jumps, ha!

But! This is only my personal experience, so please do not take it as absolute fact.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd recommend moving to the MK Phantom. Cracking blade and staying with the 7' rocker. I adored spinning on mine. And liked the picks for toe jumps, too. Or you could choose the MK Gold Star, another lovely blade and possibly even better for spins and still with the 7' rocker.

tinna

Spectator
I am an adult skater about your level (have an axel and working on doubles). I used to have Coronation Ace and then after asking for advice on this forum switched to Gold Seal. I cannot recommend them enough.
I was worried that the change from 7' profile to an 8' one would mess up my already difficult to center spins, but the opposite happened. Gold Seals are really good blades for spinning and as others have said, also for jumping.
I know I don't need them at my level, and I am 45 years old, so I will not go much further than this, but I really enjoy skating on Gold Seals.

cherryonice

Spectator
I am currently with CA and would like to change to Gold Seal . However like you said, I am also worried about the 7’ to 8’ and it is tapered I guess , so do you think it makes a drastic change ? Still having hard to find the sweet spot , sometimes yes sometimes no. I practiced so much , it almost flat . I am 40 years old and I won’t go much further either but I do love spins and jumps .

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am currently with CA and would like to change to Gold Seal . However like you said, I am also worried about the 7’ to 8’ and it is tapered I guess , so do you think it makes a drastic change ? Still having hard to find the sweet spot , sometimes yes sometimes no. I practiced so much , it almost flat . I am 40 years old and I won’t go much further either but I do love spins and jumps .
Go to MK Gold Star instead if you're worried about changing the rocker. It's a fabulous blade, equal to the JW Gold Seal, just with that 7' rocker that you like. I found them to be total spinning machines!