Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 299 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Their FD has grown so much since French Nationals. The emotion, the storytelling...and they got all their levels, smooth as breathing. Just stunning. They sweep you away into the emotions of it and don't let you go until sometime after they've stopped moving.

Just ridiculously good.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
YES
YesYesYesYESYesYesyesYESyesyesyesYesYesyesYesYESyesYesYesYesYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESyesyesyesyesyesyesYES
YYYYEEEEESSSSS

Eleanor

On the Ice
They left me speechless. I don't want their FD to end. I don't want them to change, ever. I don't want them to stop skating ever.
Nobody is ever going to be as great as them. :cheer:

cocotaffy

Final Flight
This was beyond what I thought they would deliver at this point of the season. It was close to flawless, they improved the sharpness in the choreo section and the crispiness of their edges, I really love this program now even though I was really not convinced by their music choice at the start of the season. And first time ever a dance team manages to be 5 consecutive time European Champions and when one adds they have only participated 6 times, it is just mind boggling. When you visualize it, it is crazy: 15th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st :eeking: I just want them to never stop competing, they are the only team to give me some many feelings at the same time in such a short period of time. It's like a shot of every emotions in the rainbow within 4 min.

Bcash

Final Flight
The camera work was far from ideal and I want some English commentated videos! (Is NBC covering this?)

But congrats on a 5th European title! And from the sound of it, they were pretty happy with their performance too.

Roast Toast

Medalist
The camera work was far from ideal

This FD fancam is literally more zoomed in than the official version lol, I don't get why they think filming from far away is ever gonna look good. However, we should not despair: since worlds is in Japan, at least one performance of this program will be captured properly...

1904sk8

On the Ice
Here is Tarasova commenting, she does sound moved it someone could translate please https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRdyDAaRIY&t=

This is the translation: You can just go crazy! Do you understand how they skate? They skate music, they skate nonstop. And everything you can do they do maximum, hard technically, they do it. If you can do a lift, they do it maximum. If you can go somewhere on one foot, they do it maximum. If there is a one foot step sequence, then within it they do the maximum. And it is these little details of the music and no one else skates it more. Thank them very much for skating so heartfelt (best translation I can think of) with emotion. Very interesting, now we are waiting for Stepanova and Bukin and of course they must skate last (not sure what the point of this comment was lol). They don't have to react to anything, not to any scores, they must already know their job is to go out and skate. Listen to their music and love each-other (still about S/B). (the other commentator is trying to get her back on topic) Well right now we are dealing with the free dance of Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron trying to get another world record. (back to tat lol) Well a world record is without saying because like today they have never skated before. 133.19 and 217. 98 are their scores.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I love both the costume changes.
The turquoise (or whatever colour that is) is not a bright colour, but brings a very interesting subdued colour scheme to the RD. And Gaby fully in pink with Guillaume fully in maroon in the FD is just good and beautiful, very neutral and unspecific in the good way: space for your personal interpretation.
Both costumes are very simple, stylish, to the point, and still bring a different colour and costume image to the competition in comparison to most or all other teams.

They stand out with their costumes, and it's not for standing out. They are searching for different looks, not because they want to be different or remarkable, but to break the monotony and predictability of the costumes in Ice Dance.
I like many costumes and I find there is inventiveness, but I think there is still a majority of rather cliché choices. They can be very very beautiful, but Gaby and Guillaume are constantly looking to break out of patterns, find other things that still fit totally with what they present, but are not the first thing you come up with.
What's NOT the first idea? What will also work that is not your first thought? If we scrape away the self-evident choice, will we find others that will also be good and beautiful?
That constant search is what makes them so interesting.

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier have also been inventive to find less downtrodden paths, they also tried to come up with other ideas and unconventional costumes and programs.
Somehow GG are more successful with it, in the sense that due to their better skating skills and in my not very humble opinion more artistically mature choices (it's difficult to talk about such things because they are so flimsy and subjective), they scored way higher and hence were more acknowledged and encouraged.

I'm repeating myself, but I have seen a lot of programs yesterday that I doubt would have been made like that if it hadn't been for GG.
At the end of 2013-14, weren't the FD's really very different, focussing on other aesthetics and moves? Constructed with a totally different outlook?
That's really something.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I agree with you. Gabi and Guillaume's artistic process is unique and I find that the complaints about their style often reflect a disapproval of their rejection of common ice dance tropes and approaches. I also think people are quick to give full credit to the Montreal camp (which does deserve all the credit for their consistency and ability to work with so many different teams!) for the rise in "lyrical" free dances because they want to push a narrative that other teams are going down a similar route solely to score points off of something that is "in" with the judges right now, rather than admit that maybe, other ice dancers look at G&G and see an artistic direction and emotional authenticity that they genuinely want to emulate. I agree that it has been jarring to see some of the usual P/C skeptics react so positively to Gilles/Poirier's Vincent because it is imo a great example of an FD that rises far above the ranks of copycats but still clearly reflects Gabi and Guillaume's influence on the sport.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
It appears that Gaby's RD dress colour is "teal".
The part on the top of her left breast is actually the same fabric but reversed. I'm not 'in' on anything but you can see it clearly when looking at the bottom of the skirt when it moves. (That and I'm an arrogant ***** that is completely convinced of the correctness of her observations. :drama::laugh:)

Now we only need to find the correct name for the colour of Guillaume's FD costume. It's not really maroon but it's also not really purple. It's both or in between. Anybody knows a name for that?