Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 332 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Fortuna

Spectator
Country
Canada
As a Canadian myself I have always been troubled by this. Unlike so many other countries, we have commentators who cannot seem to acknowledge excellence in no matter what national package it comes. There is always that negative edge. It’s an embarrassment.

Roast Toast

Medalist
As a Canadian myself I have always been troubled by this. Unlike so many other countries, we have commentators who cannot seem to acknowledge excellence in no matter what national package it comes. There is always that negative edge. It’s an embarrassment.

Eh, Canada has Ted Barton, I'd say you guys are doing fine :agree:

On another note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2OirMbMx0

For some reason this full video of world 2018 FD is now available on the ISU youtube channel. Grab it in case it goes down! Afaik there are no other official recording of worlds MS on youtube.

edit: upon further inspection the music seems to be a little out of sync. Dammit.

Eleanor

On the Ice

Don't beat yourself up ! ;) We, the french, do worse than you with the infamous duo Nelson Monfort and Philippe Candeloro ;)
Though, I must say that finally, after 5 years, Nelson Monfort will finally be right when talking about an Ina Bauer in P/C's program !

Maybeyesmaybeno

Rinkside
Don't beat yourself up ! ;) We, the french, do worse than you with the infamous duo Nelson Monfort and Philippe Candeloro ;)
Though, I must say that finally, after 5 years, Nelson Monfort will finally be right when talking about an Ina Bauer in P/C's program !

Absolutely true :laugh2: but we have very risk to learn anything, right or wrong listening to these two, except the story of the film the music is coming from. There is a comic editing, special ice skating to do with these 2. Canadians are very lucky: at least Carol and Kurt are not talking stupidities while the programs are on.

Fortuna

Spectator
Country
Canada
Oh wow the same lift.

This video has made me think about the many places ideas come from. Gaby and Guillaume have cited the dance, pop culture, books and fine art exhibitions as some of the inspirations for their work. Their coaches draw on many sources as well. But what about similarities within figure skating culture itself, when programmes closely resemble the work of other skaters? What I mean to ask is this: does the idea of plagiarism exist within sport culture? (I come from an academic background so I can’t help myself.) :)

cocotaffy

Final Flight

Love to see fancam, you get a really sense of the public's reaction and of the speed. We also get to see the judges and they look quite transfix especially by the character step sequence. I'd like them to rework the end though, that choreo lift with Gabriella stepping on Guillaume's boot doesn't bring much and for once, I'll even say for the first time that it does look too simple. However I love the end pose sequence. They also need to elaborate on their circular step sequence.

Roast Toast

Medalist
This video has made me think about the many places ideas come from. Gaby and Guillaume have cited the dance, pop culture, books and fine art exhibitions as some of the inspirations for their work. Their coaches draw on many sources as well. But what about similarities within figure skating culture itself, when programmes closely resemble the work of other skaters? What I mean to ask is this: does the idea of plagiarism exist within sport culture? (I come from an academic background so I can’t help myself.) :)

This is an interesting topic of discussion that I think would perhaps be better suited for The Edge. I find that often when I notice little similar bits of choreo... the choreographer ends up being the same ;) The very insular nature of skating doesn't help. Lori's programs for Michelle, Caro and Satoko come to mind: is it "plagiarism" or the choreographer recycling?

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I think this apparent bias in favour of her own skaters wouldn’t be so bad or so obvious if her co-commentator, Kurt Browning, weren’t so mealy-mouthed. Although he’s a former champion and a knowledgeable resource in his own right, his comments are always very safe and never contradictory to hers. it’s almost as if he’s afraid to voice an opinion of any kind. All in all, there’s much more meaningful commentary elsewhere.

I really like Carole's commentary! She's extremely knowledgeable, understands the judging system, & goes to great lengths to discuss technical aspects - all good for new viewers. She's blunt and says what others won't - I admire her honesty! Sure she's a bit biased but which commentators aren't - except Tanith (who's my fav). As for Kirk - his ice dance knowledge is very sketchy and he irritates me his inane comments. I don't even know if he understands the "new" scoring system :laugh: Sure they're a quite patriotic and why not?