Going Home | Golden Skate

Going Home

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
News shows in Japan were showing interviews with several Japanese medalists arriving back at the airport. I imagine many of the non-medalists have quietly returned as well.

Why would you work most of your life to get to the Olympics, only to leave almost immediately after your event ends? What's so important that can't wait two weeks to allow for experiencing the world's greatest sports festival…perhaps even the world's greatest festival?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
News shows in Japan were showing interviews with several Japanese medalists arriving back at the airport. I imagine many of the non-medalists have quietly returned as well.

Why would you work most of your life to get to the Olympics, only to leave almost immediately after your event ends? What's so important that can't wait two weeks to allow for experiencing the world's greatest sports festival…perhaps even the world's greatest festival?

I've always wondered that myself. I know not everyone can march in the opening ceremony, but they can all take part in that because there aren't any more events to worry about, and it looks like a huge party:)

anyanka

Record Breaker

I wonder if it's because there aren't enough accommodations? Perhaps the rooms are assigned on a schedule to accommodate athletes who compete on different dates and times, like a hotel? Say your event is done in week one. You aren't assigned to anything else for the second week, so your room is cleared out for athletes who compete in the second week?

Manitou

Medalist
Imagine being a 100m dash sprinter who comes to the Olympics, runs for 10 seconds and is done. His/her Olympics experience is just 10 seconds.
Then they can hang around the village and party for three weeks, distracting those who still compete, but who is paying for that?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Imagine being a 100m dash sprinter who comes to the Olympics, runs for 10 seconds and is done. His/her Olympics experience is just 10 seconds.
Then they can hang around the village and party for three weeks, distracting those who still compete, but who is paying for that?

How are they distracting anyone? I seriously doubt Olympic athletes are going to let themselves be distracted by such stuff. They've been partying down in Dutch House ever since the speed skating started. They don't have to pay to stay in the village, do they? Lots and lots do stay.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if it's because there aren't enough accommodations? Perhaps the rooms are assigned on a schedule to accommodate athletes who compete on different dates and times, like a hotel? Say your event is done in week one. You aren't assigned to anything else for the second week, so your room is cleared out for athletes who compete in the second week?

I've never heard of any such thing. Maybe someone out there knows. The pairs are done, does that mean Alexa and Chris would leave and not cheer on their teammates? Guess we will see.

Manitou

Medalist
They don't have to pay to stay in the village, do they?

I don't know how this is arranged. However, someone somewhere is paying for it. And if I were representing the federation I would not want people there for three weeks just partying. You are done, stay for a day or two to enjoy and support teammates who still compete, but when your discipline is done here is the ticket back home.

amateur

Final Flight

Hey now! To be fair, 100m sprinters do spend at least an hour warming up too! (actually probably much longer at Olympics level)! Plus the need to get to the venue well ahead of time as part of race preparation, signing in, possibly having spike length checked, and so on.. it's a lot more than "just 10 seconds of work"!

Also, in addition to your event, you might well be on your country's relay team (if they qualified one), and that event is typically on the last day after all the other Track and Field events are finished.

(I used to compete in 100m sprints (though for me it was more like 11.5 seconds of work, I wish it could have only been 10, haha); I'm sorry, but I have to defend my sport in the eyes of any reader of your casual comments!! -- Though of course I realize this was not the point you were trying to make and I'm not truly being that defensive. ;) )

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yeah the same with Mikhail Kolyoda and Dima Aliev they've already arrived home! Although I guess maybe the OAR athletes feel a bit awkward? Although, there's still an opportunity for them to march under their flag at the Closing Ceremony so yeah weird.

I guess it's possible that they and other athletes who head home have other competitions to prepare for - or in terms of the money aspect maybe you have to front up extra money to stay at the Village and some athletes decide not to. Or maybe they're introverts and don't feel the need to party LOL

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam is staying through the closing ceremonies. So it is apparently possible.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never even thought of finances, or even any good reason, why an athlete would want to go home once at the Olys. That is a real shame if finances factors into the decision :confused:

One of my favorite videos from Sochi is Jason and Polina dancing at the 2014 Sochi closing ceremonies. And the men’s comps had long been finished....

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
There's alot of reasons. Financial burden, exhaustion, wants some personal “me” time, boredom, wants to continue training in a more comfortable environment for upcoming competitions, to do the press rounds back home, depressed about the results and wants to escape reality, etc.

Also, the olympic village is not very comfortable....bunch of relatively large people are cramped in a pretty small space. :laugh:

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
For some of the athletes from countries near Korea, they might choose to go home and then come back for the closing ceremonies

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
There's alot of reasons. Financial burden, exhaustion, wants some personal “me” time, boredom, wants to continue training in a more comfortable environment for upcoming competitions, to do the press rounds back home, depressed about the results and wants to escape reality, etc.

Also, the olympic village is not very comfortable....bunch of relatively large people are cramped in a pretty small space. :laugh:

Mostly this I think. Hircher is skipping the team event to prepare for world cup next week. Shiffrin also and maybe others.

Alpine, cross country and ski jumping world cup next week already. Biathlon has junior worlds next week and senior world cup the week after.

Some figure skaters can stay and enjoy themselves. Still 3 1/2 weeks until worlds and 2 1/2 until junior worlds.

mintx

On the Ice
Vincent left a few days ago. Shaun White left after about a week, but he walked in the opening. I'm sure many of the athletes are ready to see their families and celebrate. They did say that the male skiers needed to move out to make room for the women near the downhill venues.

In the past some of the federations including USA gymnastics got their athletes out early. Shawn Johnson rebelled in '08 and went to the closing ceremony after moving out of the village.

In contrast, Alexa and Chris seem to be having a ball attending events and enjoying spending time together. Adam is enjoying his new stardom and is on NBC almost daily. I'm guessing the Shibs will do the exhibition.