GP assigments 2013/2014 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

GP assigments 2013/2014

Country
Russia
^Yes, she may. Or may not. We will see.

Lipnitskaia, who is 6 months elder than Radionova, was good at her GP Events at 2012. Not so good as at 2011/2012 season, but good.
Pogorilaya, who is 8 months elder than Radionova (and is in puberty - she became taller on about 2.5-3 inches for season, her body changes to more mature, her weight is about 100 lb), had season 2012/2013 much better than previous.

Tuktamysheva at Events of GP-2011 had excellent results, two gold medals, won Suzuki, Kostner, Wagner, Czisny. But after GP Events (beginning from GP Final) skated worse.
Elena will have at GP-2013 the same age.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not to mention Li Zijun also came into her own this season and put up scores way higher compared to previous seasons despite visibly growing a few inches. She is still thin as a reed, but she has filled out and become more mature in her build compared to the previous seasons. Sometimes growth can help or not affect ones jumps, and other times it hurts them.

Further, one can have jump issues without weight/growth/body changes being the culprit. Korobeynikova, Shelepen, and Biryukova are all slender and probably done growing, yet they had major jump issues last season. I know injuries played a part, but the decline in jumping ability was quite drastic, and while being taller maybe makes it harder for Korobeynikova and Shelepen, Biryukova is only around 158 cm and 44 kg, so really the ideal size for a skater, and yet her jumps were MIA and she scored in the 80s for FS all season.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Radionova had TES score significantly higher than Gold.

Elena's TES scores (SP+FS) of JGP1, JGP3, FJGP, JrWorlds - 100.80, 103.19, 99.33, 91.29
Gracie's TES scores (SP+FS) of GP2, GP4, 4CC, Worlds - 75.55, 89.69, 82.68, 95.45

Elena's average value is 12.81 higher than Gracie's.

Gracie did not have her best skates at SC, 4CC, or even CoR -- naturally, her TES would be much lower at those competitions. She was not perfect at Worlds, either (multiple jumping mistakes); however, the difference in TES is evident. Her TES at WTT was even higher (again, for a flawed competition) -- 98.75.

At 2012 Junior Worlds, Julia Lipniskaia's total TES was 103.77. A few months later, at the Cup of China, it was 92.78. A few weeks later, at the Trophee Bompard, it was 94.42. Elena is not as strong of a spinner as Julia, and is slightly weaker in terms of jumps, so I would expect her TES to change in a similar way.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Not to mention Li Zijun also came into her own this season and put up scores way higher compared to previous seasons despite visibly growing a few inches. She is still thin as a reed, but she has filled out and become more mature in her build compared to the previous seasons. Sometimes growth can help or not affect ones jumps, and other times it hurts them.

Li filled out very little. She is still extremely slender and light -- more like current Lipnitskaia and young Yuna than any of the above mentioned.

However, Li was not a strong jumper to begin with -- as said before, she is average; on a very good day, she is impressive. As (if) she develops significant body changes like Sotnikova and Tukatmysheva, she will need to hold onto what height and speed she has.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
It seems clear the judges want to see big, powerful jumps with lots of height and distance these days. Skaters with jumps like this are getting the best GOE. Kim, Kostner, and Gold have this type of jumping style. Lipnitskaia, Radionova, Tuktamysheva, and Li don't. Therefore it's going to be a struggle for them to match the GOE the first three get. Sotnikova is not quite in either group. She does have height and distance to her jumps, but there's also a looseness to her air position that negatively impacts her technique/success rate, plus her edge takeoff problems.

Personally I don't like this over-emphasis on height/speed in jumps. To me, it's splitting hairs a bit. In today's judging system, many, many great skaters of the past wouldn't be getting the best GOE simply because they didn't have huge jumps. Never mind the fact that they were landing the jumps just fine and often with good technique; by today's standards they wouldn't be high or long enough. To me, it's putting too much emphasis on one aspect of skating, and also I feel it gives a built-in advantage to taller, bigger skaters, who may be more likely to have this jumping style, and that doesn't seem quite right. Regardless, though, this is the current reality.

I think comparing junior & senior scores isn't really all that productive. It is so different competing at the senior level rather than junior.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Personally I don't like this over-emphasis on height/speed in jumps. To me, it's splitting hairs a bit. In today's judging system, many, many great skaters of the past wouldn't be getting the best GOE simply because they didn't have huge jumps. Never mind the fact that they were landing the jumps just fine and often with good technique; by today's standards they wouldn't be high or long enough.

It is more difficult to land bigger jumps. With more height, there is more time in the air and a therefore greater opportunity for things to go wrong. With more speed, there is no way to save a flawed jump. Yuna would end up on the ice if she UR'ed her flips like Mirai. In addition to being more difficult, bigger jumps just look better and I think it's good that they are rewarded.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It seems clear the judges want to see big, powerful jumps with lots of height and distance these days. Skaters with jumps like this are getting the best GOE. Kim, Kostner, and Gold have this type of jumping style.

I feel it gives a built-in advantage to taller, bigger skaters, who may be more likely to have this jumping style, and that doesn't seem quite right.

Midori Ito and Tonya Harding are both in the tiny/short categories, and they both jump bigger than Kim Kostner and Gold.
They would get higher GOE than these three.

So size has nothing to do with big powerful jumps. Just like being taller doesn't make a skater faster.

Big powerful jumps with good landing should get better GOE than average jump with good landing. What is not right?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems clear the judges want to see big, powerful jumps with lots of height and distance these days. Skaters with jumps like this are getting the best GOE. Kim, Kostner, and Gold have this type of jumping style. Lipnitskaia, Radionova, Tuktamysheva, and Li don't. Therefore it's going to be a struggle for them to match the GOE the first three get. Sotnikova is not quite in either group. She does have height and distance to her jumps, but there's also a looseness to her air position that negatively impacts her technique/success rate, plus her edge takeoff problems.

Personally I don't like this over-emphasis on height/speed in jumps. To me, it's splitting hairs a bit. In today's judging system, many, many great skaters of the past wouldn't be getting the best GOE simply because they didn't have huge jumps. Never mind the fact that they were landing the jumps just fine and often with good technique; by today's standards they wouldn't be high or long enough. To me, it's putting too much emphasis on one aspect of skating, and also I feel it gives a built-in advantage to taller, bigger skaters, who may be more likely to have this jumping style, and that doesn't seem quite right. Regardless, though, this is the current reality.

I think comparing junior & senior scores isn't really all that productive. It is so different competing at the senior level rather than junior.
That may be true but i remember at SC last season when Caroline Zhang skated right after both Kaetlyn and Gracie and her slowness compared to the other girls was :eek:. It does make a difference in terms of skating skills and just looks more impressive when you can do all the elements with great speed.

mielikki

Rinkside
Oh how I wish I could go to NHK (VT and Yuko/Sasha both, Daisuke and Javier both, you're lucky there!), but most probably the best I'll get to is Rostelecom :rolleye:
Well at least Javier and Tukt will be there.
And why do so many think that Plushenko won't show up? He has to earn the rating, he will try, that's kinda inevitable. One step of the stairway to Olympics.
I wish Russia would give their TBA to Sinitsina/Zhiganshin. Oh God up there, bring them nice music&costumes, I beg you! By the way, why nothing is heard on how they are doing? IK and BS gave a number of interviews, even Monko did, but they say nothing :confused: And Pavlova group - there are they?
Ah, and Gachinski. This third Russian guy won't change the result, but Gachinski is quite a... thing? He turned to be exiting to watch live. My little niece said she wanted to marry him :laugh:

dara

Spectator
Does anyone know something about Daleman? is she skating in the JGP again? or why didn't she get a GP assignment?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Oh how I wish I could go to NHK (VT and Yuko/Sasha both, Daisuke and Javier both, you're lucky there!), but most probably the best I'll get to is Rostelecom :rolleye:
Well at least Javier and Tukt will be there.
And why do so many think that Plushenko won't show up? He has to earn the rating, he will try, that's kinda inevitable. One step of the stairway to Olympics.
I wish Russia would give their TBA to Sinitsina/Zhiganshin. Oh God up there, bring them nice music&costumes, I beg you! By the way, why nothing is heard on how they are doing? IK and BS gave a number of interviews, even Monko did, but they say nothing :confused: And Pavlova group - there are they?
Ah, and Gachinski. This third Russian guy won't change the result, but Gachinski is quite a... thing? Hу turned to be exiting to watch live. My little niece said she wanted to marry him :laugh:

that TBA spot in Ice Dance with be between Stepanova/Bukin and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
whomever does better I think will get that spot ? I think S/B have greater chances and can medal in their first GP based on their draw results

mielikki

Rinkside
that TBA spot in Ice Dance with be between Stepanova/Bukin and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin
whomever does better I think will get that spot ? I think S/B have greater chances and can medal in their first GP based on their draw results
And Monko/Khaliavin, I think.
That will depend on how they do in some B competitions earlier in the season, I've read that TBAs are to be announced before GP starts, and if I remember it right that's how it was done previous season.
But do any of them have a chance to get the second spot as a substitute?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You think Stepanova/Bukin will medal at Skate Canada?

Here's the last two results for each team at SC

VIRTUE / MOIR CAN 185.04 73.87 111.17 WORLDS 2013 (2nd)
VIRTUE / MOIR CAN 184.32 75.12 109.20 4CC 2013 (2nd)

WEAVER / POJE CAN 160.08 62.42 97.66 WTT 2013 (2nd)
WEAVER / POJE CAN 166.20 67.54 98.66 Worlds 2013 (5th)

RIAZANOVA / TKACHENKO RUS 149.78 59.52 90.26 Worlds 2013 (11th)
RIAZANOVA / TKACHENKO RUS 157.77 64.52 93.25 Euros 2013 (4th)

ZHIGANSHINA / GAZSI   GER 154.27 60.59 93.68 Worlds 2013 (10th)
ZHIGANSHINA / GAZSI   GER 147.28 60.08 87.20 Euros 2013 (6th)

STEPANOVA / BUKIN RUS 150.17 64.65 85.52 JW 2013 (1st)
STEPANOVA / BUKIN RUS 149.57 61.18 88.39 JGPF 2013 (1st)

IMO, S/B would be doing quite well to finish 4th at SC, and 5th would not be a disgrace.

BTW, I think there are 3 teams vying for that TBA spot: Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Monko/Khaliavin. M/K were selected for WTT, and they finished 3rd there.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You think Stepanova/Bukin will medal at Skate Canada?

Here's the last two results for each team at SC

VIRTUE / MOIR CAN 185.04 73.87 111.17 WORLDS 2013 (2nd)
VIRTUE / MOIR CAN 184.32 75.12 109.20 4CC 2013 (2nd)

WEAVER / POJE CAN 160.08 62.42 97.66 WTT 2013 (2nd)
WEAVER / POJE CAN 166.20 67.54 98.66 Worlds 2013 (5th)

RIAZANOVA / TKACHENKO RUS 149.78 59.52 90.26 Worlds 2013 (11th)
RIAZANOVA / TKACHENKO RUS 157.77 64.52 93.25 Euros 2013 (4th)

ZHIGANSHINA / GAZSI   GER 154.27 60.59 93.68 Worlds 2013 (10th)
ZHIGANSHINA / GAZSI   GER 147.28 60.08 87.20 Euros 2013 (6th)

STEPANOVA / BUKIN RUS 150.17 64.65 85.52 JW 2013 (1st)
STEPANOVA / BUKIN RUS 149.57 61.18 88.39 JGPF 2013 (1st)

IMO, S/B would be doing quite well to finish 4th at SC, and 5th would not be a disgrace.

BTW, I think there are 3 teams vying for that TBA spot: Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Monko/Khaliavin. M/K were selected for WTT, and they finished 3rd there.

R/T are stagnant, we expected a great transformation helping with Igor but it didn't they were even passed by Z/G at Worlds
so S/B have a chance to medal for bronze and its not impossible Z/G were beaten by first timers S/Z

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Video of her skating this year at Adult Competition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJND8rF1JtY
How good for 43 years old Lady.

Sorry for offtopic.

Nice. Did this seriously not get its own thread on GS?

I wondered about the ethics of this when I first heard about it. There is a sense in which it seems unfair for the other adult competitors who've never competed at that level. On the other hand, it would be pretty amazing to be able honestly to say, "I won silver behind Midori Ito!".